Awesome mod! And... voice acting?

Forum for Projects by The Persecution Complex

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid

Nash
Developer
Developer

Awesome mod! And... voice acting?

Post by Nash »

I just noticed this while randomly browing the DRDTeam forums. I seriously think this mods needs a lot more awareness and exposure because it looks awesome. You should link this forum from the ZDoom forum.

By any chance are you looking for voice acting? I'd love to contribute some lines if you're looking for some. :) If you need to audition my voice, give me a test line to perform and I'll post it here. :D
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Awesome mod! And... voice acting?

Post by Rex Claussen »

Nash wrote:I just noticed this while randomly browing the DRDTeam forums. I seriously think this mods needs a lot more awareness and exposure because it looks awesome. You should link this forum from the ZDoom forum.
I do post on the ZDooM Projects Forum about screenshots from time to time.
By any chance are you looking for voice acting? I'd love to contribute some lines if you're looking for some. :) If you need to audition my voice, give me a test line to perform and I'll post it here. :D
Yes, indeed we are. We are looking for (preferably) a non-American accent, as the story involves a "foreign" agent who is working at the Black Mesa Complex. We have not yet prepared a script, as we haven't made a decision on the voice acting bit. However, there's no harm in "auditioning", so to speak. Let me bring it up on the developer forums, and then I'll send you a PM or reply on this thread about going forward.

Thanks for your interest.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I'm sure that I have heard Nash's voice before on a sample he recorded a while back for something or other. As I recall, he has a very flexible voice. You possibly know that he is Asian (Malaysian IIRC) but (again, if I am remembering correctly) he has a range of accents that he can "do". If anyone has the appropriate recording equipment it would be Nash given that he has his own recording studio and that's his business.

Nash, I think the original concept for the voice was someone who caries a bit of authority in his voice and possibly sounds "older" - perhaps in his 40s or something (which, of course, from my perspective is not old at all. :P ). I imagine that the person might have a military air to his voice but probably not a ridiculous American stereotype marine gung-ho type of military. Just calmly authoritative. Does that give you any ideas for something that you might be able to do?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Nigel, in addition to the controller's voice we may also want to consider one or more American-accented voices for a Barney and/or a scientist. This is just so that we can customize a greeting for the player-character. Very much like the "Good to see you again, Dr. Freeman!". Except it'll be "Good to see you again, Dr. Bellmer!" (See my thread in the Miscellaneous forum.)

And having a recording studio is definitely a plus, as we can get clean sound.

And about the accent, we'd want to make sure that it somewhat matches the HINTMAN image, although this is not a show-stopper. Originally, I was thinking that the controller represented a European conglomerate/cartel, but there's no reason it couldn't be a Chinese group or some other group.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I can do a Barney, providing I can find my good headset. If I can't, all I've got aside from that is my XBox 360 headset, which is really only good for recording as if I were on a tape recorder or radio.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

wildweasel wrote:I can do a Barney, providing I can find my good headset.
Excellent!

As you might have seen in the Miscellaneous forum, we will be making an announcement and a request for interested people to audition. Meanwhile, if you would like to record and send us the following samples, we might be able to get the ball rolling:

All of the following are spoken in a conversational tone:

"Welcome back, Dr. Bellmer. How was your vacation to Europe?"
"I'm sorry, Dr. Bellmer. The Air Lock is temporarily restricted to civilian personnel. The brass are running some sort of test down in the Pit."
"You look well-rested after your trip, Dr. Bellmer. I'd kill for a chance to do something different."
"It's good to see you again, Dr. Bellmer."
"Dr. Bellmer, you know I can't let you into the Test Lab without your HEV Suit."

The following are spoken with an authoritative tone:

"Stand back, Dr. Bellmer! I'll handle this!"
"Civilians were instructed to stay out of this area!"
"Damn! This place is infested worse than I thought! Find another way around!"
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I am 23 years old so I won't even try to sound like I'm 40... it's not going to work. :( I can do European accents but I don't have that tough military guy husky-like voice. By any chance are you looking for scientist voices? I can do some nerdy sounding voices. :B

Actually to be honest, when I asked about auditioning for voice work, I never really expected to do voices for the player character - because I went by the assumption that you're going to make him silent, just like Dr. Freeman. I was kinda expecting to do voices for NPCs or main atagonists, stuff like that.

Also, where is this Miscellaneous forum? I take it that's hidden?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Nash wrote:I am 23 years old so I won't even try to sound like I'm 40... it's not going to work. :( I can do European accents but I don't have that tough military guy husky-like voice. By any chance are you looking for scientist voices? I can do some nerdy sounding voices. :B
Don't worry about trying to sound older, or doing tough/military/husky voices. About scientists, we could use some but they are not nearly as important as the "main" voice we need (see below).
Actually to be honest, when I asked about auditioning for voice work, I never really expected to do voices for the player character - because I went by the assumption that you're going to make him silent, just like Dr. Freeman. I was kinda expecting to do voices for NPCs or main atagonists, stuff like that.
You misunderstood. We do not want a voice for the main player character, who will indeed be silent for the game (much like Gordon Freeman). We want a voice for the player-character's "controller". The player is an undercover foreign agent who is on an industrial espionage mission. The player-character is being directed by the controller, who provides the player the mission briefings, hints, and other relevant messages.
Also, where is this Miscellaneous forum? I take it that's hidden?
Yes, it's a Developer-only forum.
Pluck101

Post by Pluck101 »

OH oh i have a microphone maybe i could audition or something?!
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Pluck101 wrote:..... i have a microphone maybe i could audition or something?!
Just follow the instructions above, and send your stuff to my email address (or post in this thread). Email address = gurkha_boy AT yahoo.com
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

We are moving forward with the voice recording stage of game production. If anyone is interested in contributing, please follow the instructions above.

Nash, I have sent you a PM about the 'Controller's' voice.

Return to “Persecution Complex”