The Wars of Alioth

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

DoomRater

The Wars of Alioth

Post by DoomRater »

Being a weapon crafter myself, I might as well start a journal. While I haven't really been working on weapons lately, I recently procured a few weapon sprites that will make my Medivel TC possible. No name in the works, but I'll have the weapons released before the actual TC.

Anyway, a bit of my time has been spent on making tutorials for DECORATE users. There's just a few tricks out there I want to explain, so if you're out of ideas you should check them out.

Meanwhile, my listing of weapons modified include WildWeasel's Glock, Lord Mattus's BFG (this mod I rather like, despite being overpowered), Xaser's Zen II (I'm not counting the CheapAlert projectile, I mean the version that had tap to reload in it) and KingOfFlames's DemonSlayer. Okay, I'm not sure who made that but he was the one who handed me the weapon and I chagned the ground projectile because its original behavior wouldn't stop damaging me even with DONTHURTSHOOTER. Inu's M16 also got the tap to reload change put into it.

Background check complete. Onto the weapon mod: the Medivel Weaponry. Planned weapons include a sword and shield combo, a two handed sword, a throwing knife that won't be super-powerful until you get the elvish dagger at least, and I'd like to make some guest appearance weapons from Kingdom Under Fire: Likuku's Sword and Keither's Glave. If I can't make graphics for these, their projectile selves will be included with the current weapons. Only one ranged-only weapon is planned, but I have no idea what I want it to do yet. I also don't know whether to include unarmed attacks or not.
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

Wow...epic. Heh, good luck DR.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Ooh, sounds nice. Even though I know the outcome, i'm gonna ask anyways: what port?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I may as well learn DDF and port the weapons over to EDGE when I'm all done. I doubt the entire TC will translate from ZDoom, however. And the FSGLOBAL means it'll run best in GZDoom. (That is the DECORATE weapon patch, the TC will use ACS to set up the inventory)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

First thing that needs doin: I need to clean those shadows off the knife as it's being spun around in the witchhaven guy's hands. Doing this should allow me to slide it around and make it look like he's going to throw it instead of stab downward with it.

After that, I'll need to see if there are any better arm and hand positions that I can glue together, since I want some weapons to attack while he's pulling them out. It should help make up for the knife's lack of offensive and defensive power. When I get bored of this I'll pound out some more DECORATE code.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Well, the knife edit went well, as stated in my DA journal. The shadow is almost completely gone so I can begin trying to edit the knife spin. Unfortunately, the Claymore is annoying me to no end. I can't do what I wanted with it- make a parrying animation and stabbing motion. I'll try some hand edits from the Halberd but I'm not hoping for much.

The really diorienting thing is that I'm left handed, so trying to duplicate where the hands are supposed to be really throws me off. Perhaps I should flip all the sword sprites until I get everything down?
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Go for it, you can easily get ajusted from a left hand position.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

What you might be able to do for the claymore is splice it with the Quietus from Hexen. Like, remove the Quietus' flames, and then edit the graphics enough so they fit together. That way you can add a sort of "slicing" movement to it.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Worth a shot. Keep in mind I have slicing animations from the one hand weapons, and the Quietus is also a one handed sword... but I badly need that parry and stab motion if I'm going to pull off the attacks I want.

In the meantime, I'll look around for a shield graphic that would fit the one handed sword. The sword and shield is meant for getting in close against ranged attackers but it will have value vs. melee soldiers in this game because all the enimies will have a very short hitscan for their melee attack instead of the standard melee attack. I'm sure you all remember Cutty's Lightsaber- the only difference with the sword and shield is that the shield won't reflect attacks.
NeoWorm

Post by NeoWorm »

I will rip Witchhaven shields
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

>DDDDDDDDD
NeoWorm

Post by NeoWorm »

Some news in Medieval Weapons Thread
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Okay guys. In tribute of this awesome character I learned about, I may be building a very quick character based weapons mod. based offa The white haired dude in the trenchcoat, the weapons will include his signature dual pistols for starting weapons. Sorry for all you overpower haters, those things are deadly and will likely take out zombies in a single hit. Not to worry, I'll have a shotgun with a unique spread pattern and some at least two more guns somehow.

Now to fan out the DECORATE for the pistols. This is probably going to be the hardest code I've put together. They will be true dual weilding! (as best as you can get with the altfire trigger anyway) You'll be able to switch seamlessly between the dual pistols and a single pistol.

The really tough part will be working in his transformation abilities. I want to give this a try in DECORATE first but if not I'll have to make him some map stuff.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Well, it's not news on the weapon mod itself, but it looks like I have a mapper to help me plan the TC out. He's relatively new but made some nice looking things before. I just have to help him set up Doom Builder and when it's ready SLADE.

I haven't heard back on the sprites for Amadeus, so I haven't had much hope in finishing that project. I should at least finish the dual pistols so as to have a working Dual Weild system for later on...
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Welp, not much going on other than I started rewqorking my Unarmed and RhinoStopper weapons. Now to actually work on the other projects I started, if only slightly...

Medivel Weaponry:
Shadow has been removed from knife and it's ready to slide around in the hand of the WithHaven guy. Just need to DO IT....

Amadeus Project:
I'm beginning to wonder if I got unsubscribed from that thread or something. >_> haven't heard ANYTHING on the sprites so.... I guess I just build the guns for it and see what comes of it. Abusing A_WeaponReady should help me pull this crap off.

Misc Weaponry:
You can grab the updated Unarmed weapon to play with here and the RhinoStopper here. Unarmed is much easier to use and the RhinoStopper's Shot-bash combo has been made a bit easier to pull off.

Return to “Development Journals”