Zero Tolerance

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

The smoothness feels just so right. it's like what weapons were made to be.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

BUMP! (but a content filled one)

I've been lately blasting around some wads with the gamma release of yours Zero Tollerance, Prophet. Damn, this is one mighty weapon mod if I've ever seen one. At least that's the first impression I got from the awesome menus. The high-res hud, the smoothness, smoke, bullet effects and such are all excellently done. Especially the Ion Thunder (Pro) and Zero-Infinity projectiles. Something staggering!
Some things however seemed a bit odd, either for my liking or objectively. I have some pointers and hints to provide you with that in my opinion will upgrade your weapon mod.
  • The Photon Blaster is massively overpowered. Is this intentional? I don't think so, since the HUD says it's power is barely above the .45 Prophet pistol's..
  • I don't like the fact that reloading is done with the alternative fire, yet one weapon (0 and Infinity) has an alternative fire, and quite ferocious one. Accidentially I tried reloading it and it cost my little self some precious health. But this weapon is really grand!
  • The new heads up display can sometimes slow down my machine. I'm using a 5 year old Athlong 1 ghz. I don't know why this happens, but maybe you could consider some folks having odler machinery? This is probably done by some too-fast-looping script or whatnot.
  • The laser aim on the Prophet pistols is vastly inaccurate when pointed in the ground. I'm not fully sure how to remedy this. Maybe reduce it's height/width?
That's all I have to say, at least for now. Keep up the insanely awesome work.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The Photon Blaster is massively overpowered. Is this intentional? I don't think so, since the HUD says it's power is barely above the .45 Prophet pistol's..
Might you be running GZDoom 1.0.22? That might be the A_Explode glitch in action - there should be an A_Explode fix version someplace, or else you could use 1.0.21 until Graf releases the next version.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I had been trying various things with the laser sight myself, but so far I don't have much of a better solution short of using a hitscan (which fugs up chasecam). Even the BlasterFX1 projectile's special abilities don't seem to affect accuracy much.
Asteroidsmastuh

wow...

Post by Asteroidsmastuh »

This is possibly the best mod I have ever downloaded. Everything is just so smooth and clean. Everthing is so proffesional and the extra stuf like the HUD, the interface, the sfx, the skins, and the reloading feature is just not like Doom at all. :shock:

I'm just amazed at how awesome this mod is. Not much else to say. Hope I can be this good someday, but for now I'm still learning, poorly at that. :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Zero Prophet! Get your ass here and finish this damn fine mod so it can rock the world!!
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

This is one of the best mods I played. Everything is so damn smooth, and it actually uses resources I didn't saw anywhere, not something like 16 Duke3D-Shotguns, 248 Pistols and 5748375 Rocketlaunchers, with the same graphics, where the hands are mixed with CS, HL, Doom, Strife and Duke Nukem. I actually liked the Extreme Death sequence of the Cacodemon, it looks really cool how it explodes =D GET YOUR DAMN ASS HERE AND FINISH THIS.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Some time ago I've done some modifications to this mod to see if they would rebalance it slightly. Whereas I didn't really touch the enemies, I did mess with the guns. I've played it through Dark 7 and Southern Cross (go Robinson maps go!) and indeed, in my opinion the weapons were given slightly more equal attention. What did I do?
  • Extended the pistol clip's size to 14, and double pistol to 28. These guns are very accurate, and good for stunning the weaker opposition or singular medium-tough foes (like cacoes) but the necessity to reload due to a small clip size interrupts the fire stream. This is crucially dangerous when combatting hi-reaction enemies (zombies, demophytes). Extending the clip sizes makes this weapon very good to wield, while still remembering to reload whenever there's a free moment during the firefight.
  • Reduced the spread on the Photon Blaster slightly. Extends this weapon range of max damage.
  • The Raiden rifle is fast but pathetically weak and the lengthy reload just messess the gun up. Extended the clip size to 60. You can now experience full auto longer, making it more useful for reasons similair to Prophet pistols. I would also remove the raising sequence's gun cocking. This 1.5 second delay may sometimes equal superb losses of health.
  • Removed the bouncing of flak projectiles, thus making the weapon less a "universal weapon" (because of its strength and speed one could basically just walk around with this gun and fear nothing)
  • Slightly reduced Xanadu's spread. It can now be used more effecitvely on larger distances.
  • Replaced inviso-spheres with the Prometheus Rifle. It was just nowhere to be found!
I advice to try these to the mod's author. Perhaps it can give the mod slightly more balance. Before you pick up the good guns (flak cannon, Bouncer, Xanadu) you really have a hard time with the weak guns.

EDIT: For great egoism, I love this mod because it uses so many of my guns which have really been asking for such attention :happy:
Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

Hmm, on the other hand, I think the weapons are very nicely balanced. The photon pistol could be made ever so slightly more powerful, and the dual pistols could be weakened (Or maybe the assault rifle could be made more powerful? It's quite a useful tool in battle, however you need good aim to take down a moderate-sized foe with it - a single revenant needs most of a clip).

The flak gun could have slightly faster projectiles, although maybe it's supposed to act more like the shotgun?

But oh well, the weapons could be left alone, what would really enhance the gameplay I think, would be new/better monsters. That is, upgrades of the existing monsters like you've already done - with the soldiers and democytes (Sp?). They really help balance the gameplay, and keep you on your toes, heh. Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the demo.
Hellraiser777

Post by Hellraiser777 »

Anyone still has this wad? I can't download it and I feel sad because I don't have it. *sniff*
Visplane_Overflow

Here you go, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P647P4KY

Zero Tolerance, grab it while it's hot.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Huh, I wonder where this guy went. It was close to completion and pop, he's gone.
Hellraiser777

Post by Hellraiser777 »

Chronoteeth wrote:Huh, I wonder where this guy went. It was close to completion and pop, he's gone.
Dunno, I think we (the community) are smart enough to fix it our selves. *nod*

Edit:
Oh, and THANK you so much Visplane, I was going insane to try to find this; no more reformatting this computer, I should put EVERY thing on a CD that I like that is DooM Related so I can't loose it.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Zero's been absent for quite a while... it's a mystery even I can't solve. A shame, too, and not only because of this monster of a mod...

Maybe someday this thing might be done... even if we have to do it ourselves.
Visplane_Overflow

I reckon that he's probably just working on the project in secret, to keep us all in suspense =p Afterall, if I remember, this project appeared out of the woodwork, anyhow.

Return to “Development Journals”