Lizardcommando's mods journal

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Well, instead of working on that damned robot enemy which'll be replacing the Baron of Hell, I decided to go ahead and remake the Barney Calhoun Lizard. I'm only on the first set of frames though. It might be a while before you see it in action...
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey guys, so I just finished the running animation for the remade Barney Calhoun Lizard. So I'm about halfway done with him.

Ok, so I was going to keep this a secret, but I couldn't hold out any longer. I want to bring back the Silenced Machinepistol and Molotov Cocktails back dammit! All I have to do with the Molotov Cocktail is fix the coding, but that's going to be a HUGE pain in the ass, so that's not going to happen for a long time. The Silenced Machinepistol is going to be drastically different than the previous incarnation.

I have been drawing a bunch of sketches of the gun for a while and now I finally have it drawn in MSPAINT. I couldn't decide which one to use though. I have one version with a tactical scope on it and another version without it. Which one should I use?

Oh yeah, and I am thinking about adding in a new item, something similar to that one item in Strife where you can call in some reinforcements or something. Any ideas on how I would do that?
Attachments
silenced-mp-upgrades.png
silenced-mp-upgrades.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Blagh. So I decided to use the one with the scope, so I don't need any opinions on that.

I am almost done with the new Barney Calhoun sprites. I just need to do the new death animations and that's it.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey guys. So I just finished making the Silenced Machinepistol. Now the part that's going to kill me is how to implement it. Should I make it a permanent upgradable weapon that permanently replaces the normal Machinepistol or should this be a separate weapon from the normal Machinepistol? I don't know how I should approach this. Someone want to help me with this?

In the meantime, I just finished making the new Barney Calhoun sprites. It doesn't look as goofy as the old version now. I also changed the Magnum's firing sound from the Half Life magnum to a new one I found from FPSBanana.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ehh... I decided to just make the Silenced Machine Pistol a brand new weapon and not a permanent replacement for the Machine Pistol. They both look very different now.

Now all I have to do is make the Robot enemy and then I'll release a new demo. I also need to replace the normal soldiers' sight sounds. I need something that sounds Metal Slug-ish.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

lizardcommando wrote:Blagh. So I decided to use the one with the scope, so I don't need any opinions on that.
Dammit, here's my opinion too late anyway. :P

I think it looks better without the scope. I think it looks smoother and meaner. And, seeing as how the scope is unlikely to actually be used in game (I'm guessing) it's just a lump on the gun taking up more screen space.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Well, the reason why I ultimately chose to go with the scoped Machine Pistol is because it looked more interesting. Without it, it looks a little plain. I never made any weapons that looked like that before and I wanted something different. :)
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

After a long time, I finally finished one full rotation sprites for the Robot enemy that I'm creating. Now it'll probably take another three months before I complete the first set of walking sprites...
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I just posted up a video comparing the old Silenced Machine Pistol with the new Silenced Machine Pistol. You also get a quick look at the remade Barney Calhoun sprites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKlfzsxZO04

Oh, and here's something I was working on for a bit, but then stopped since I got bored of it and ran out of ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8AazDhRJ-k
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

There are two things that I want eventually in this mod:
  • A Custom HUD
    Shell Casings
I just want a custom HUD that utilizes the Statusbar face. It's a waste having made the statusbar face and not even seeing unless you use the Automap or use the classic statusbar. I haven't thought of any designs for it yet, once I do, I'll post up the concept art.

As for shell casings, I'm not sure how to even approach this. I was thinking of making the graphics the same size as the icd-lizard ones, but those are really small...

Blarg. I'll put these idea aside for a while.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

lizardcommando wrote:I just want a custom HUD that utilizes the Statusbar face. It's a waste having made the statusbar face and not even seeing unless you use the Automap or use the classic statusbar. I haven't thought of any designs for it yet, once I do, I'll post up the concept art.
How about this?
Attachments
ww-lizardhud.zip
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey.... that's pretty neat. :)

I'll use this until I have some concept art and graphics ready for my own custom HUD.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ok, I finally thought up a concept for a Custom HUD.

Just for your information, the Magazine is supposed to represent how much ammo you have in your current "clip" and Ammo is how much ammo you have total in your inventory. The graphics in the magazine and ammo boxes are temporary. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate those into the HUD.

This is just for the classic HUD that would be replacing the old DOOM HUD. The fullscreen HUD is just going to be like the ZDOOM fullscreen HUD, except the Statusbar Face should be incorporated somehow.

So, anyone want to help me out with this? Any suggestions?
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

I think you should add a space for the weapons you've currently collected...probably at the bottom somewhere.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hmm, you mean something like the one from Doom? Well, here's a new concept I just whipped up right now. This is pretty much what I want it to look like. I could probably make the MAGAZINE and AMMO boxes a bit smaller.

So is this totally doable?
Attachments
exterminator_HUDconcept2.png
exterminator_HUDconcept2.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 2997 times

Return to “Development Journals”