Lizardcommando's mods journal

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Lizardcommando's mods journal

Post by lizardcommando »

Hi guys, this is the development journal for ICD-Lizard for Zdoom. (I'll probably change the name for this mod) I want to make this for Skulltag, but since there is no DECORATE support, I guess Zdoom will do...

I already know which weapons will most certainly be absent in the Zdoom version:

Desert Eagle
Glock
Socom
Uzi (and Double Uzis)
The WW2 guns
P90
Molotov Cocktails
Remote Explosives
Street Fighting (fists and spin kick)
M4/M203
AK47
Sniper Rifle

Each weapon slot will have 2 guns each (except for Slot 7).

1. Combat Knife
Samurai Sword

2..45 Pistol
.357 Magnum

3.Combat Shotgun
Handcannon

4.SMG
Dual SMG

5.RPG
Grenades

6.EX-AR (my own assault rifle)
M60

7. (I can't think of anything for this)

I will add in at least one new enemy, that is if only I actually get to that point...

The weapons list isn't exactly set in stone, so expect some things to change here and there...
Last edited by lizardcommando on Sun May 07, 2006 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I know I already asked this in your other thread, but could I submit a weapon to the mod? I don't know much about decorate, so I would only submit graphics. I was thinking something like a golden magnum that fired rifle bullets and killed most monsters in a single hit. What do you think?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I'd rather be doing the graphics myself actually. The only thing I need help with is the coding.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Okay then!
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

I actually thought about asking you if I could do this, but I kinda forgot :P. I have some suggestions.

WEAPONS:
I think you should just redo weapon graphics altogether. I loved Lizard War and ICD-Lizard, but I recommend you just "remake" the graphics this time around, give us something new.
-EXAMPLE
Like that.

WEAPONS SLOTS:

1. Combat Knife+Streetfighting: This would basicly just add Streetfighting has an alternate attack.
Samurai Sword

2..45 Pistol
.357 Magnum

3.Combat Shotgun
Handcannon

4.SMG (is this the HK-MP5K?)
Dual SMG

5.RPG
Grenades

6.EX-AR (my own assault rifle)
M60

7. Sniper Rifle
That BFG replacement from Lizard War

8. Some sort of...railgun?

ENEMIES:
Decorate versions of the Lizard War and ICD-Lizard enemies shouldn't be that hard to do.

These are just my thoughts on things, you can take it or whatever.

Also, I can help with decorate coding, I'm a little shakey when it comes to reloading though.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I'll try to remake most of the graphics. I'm fully aware (and I do admit) that the weapons graphics I made were shit.

As for weapons stuff:

1. I'm a bit conflicted now with keeping the Street Fighting and Knife. It's real satisfying picking up the Berzerksphere and gibbing an enemy :). But shanking someone with a Bowie Knife is pretty sick.

I really want to impliment the Samurai Sword, but I will only do this if there is some way to impliment custom death animations (IE, if I kill certain enemies, they will split in half a la Rockman Zero)

2. Nothing much will be said about the pistols except the .45 pistol will look alot like the pistol from the Shootout Flash game I made.

3. Since I finally have some source material to look at for the shotgun, it will look somewhat better. (I'm gonna try basing the combat shotgun on the Hardballer shotgun! :D)

4. The SMG's are not going to be the MP5K's. It's gonna be the SMG's from the my Wolf3D mod. I'll of course try and make it look detailed (in the cartoony sense, anyways)

However, if I decide not to have akimbo SMG's, it might be an MP5.

5. Grenades are probably going to use the graphics from ICD-Lizard.
The RPG is probably going to be based on the same one used in Lizard Madness.

6. You can see the EX-AR in action my flash movie called "The Assault". Lizardcommando and the Exterminators are the only ones using it.

7. I might just add in the "BFG replacement". It originally was supposed to be a railgun.

There probably won't be a Slot 8 weapon.

Here's some useless trivia just for shits and giggles:

Did you know:

Most of the hands are actually based on my own (albeit being very, very abstract looking)?! I actually pose my hand with a gun (airsoft or just some random toy gun) and draw it. Of course, I have to exaggerate or make up some stuff too...
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ok, this is a small update:

I finished with the pistol animation. Here's a comparison shot:

The left side is the new gun and the right side is the old gun.

The gun was actually alot smaller, but I had to blow it up. I initially thought it would look like shit, but when you see it in action, you barely notice the blockiness of the sprites. I personally like it this way though. First, it's alot easier to see, even with the statusbar up. Two, the blockiness of the sprites add to the cartoony element. And three, you won't really notice the blockyness when you shoot it.

So should I leave the gun like that or should I just use the original sized pistol? (It's a bit bigger than the old gun.)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Keep the new one as is.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Keep the new one, it looks awesome.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

I agree a railgun would be good :)
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey, time for another update. I've got the shotgun done, but I'm looking for SFX as of right now. I still need to fix up the shotgun because it's a freaking pain in the ass to get it looking right... (I'm drawing it kinda like how the Doom shotgun looks) I'll try to get a screenshot of it in action... Or better yet, I'll get an animation of the shotgun in action...
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

Cool cool....Hey, do you accept my offer to help with coding?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Sure, you could help.
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

Do you have some sort of messaging thing like YIM or google talk?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I use AIM, but not very often though. My screenname is lilzergling.

Progress Report: I am barely starting the handcannon. Here's the game plan for the overall mod:

I am replacing the normal Doom weapons right now, afterwards, I will be adding in the brand new guns. After the new guns are in, the enemies will be added into the game.

As far as secondary attacks go, there won't be any. I don't want to complicate things by adding an extra control or whatnot. There won't be reloading either (that is if enough people beg me to add it in).

Return to “Development Journals”