I'M BACK.

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

It would be better if you would clean up the graphics some. It wouldn't be as much of a problem, then.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Yeah, I've had to do that in a couple of cases where the palette translations turned out really ugly. For the most part, they work, and they animate so well it's harder to notice the flaws inherent in the original sprites.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!

lol nah, i started doing this for edge, i did the axe and sword

But i lost intrest, I'll love to see this finished.

Good luck.

Those screens look funny though, the crisp blocky short sword cutting into the extreamly blurrey zombieman lol.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Holy crap, has it been nearly a year since I posted in this thing? Anyway, I'm reviving this journal since I don't want this to go to waste, nor do I really want to create another project thread at the ZDoom forum.

I've just finished a map for the Ten community project over at the ZDoom forums. If anyone is interested, I can post a link to the map here. I'm also working on a map for the Heretic Treasure Chest, but it's still pretty early in the making.

Weapons wise, I'm working on the weapons for my Halls of Albion project. The mapping side is on hold while I finish up my other maps, but the weapons are coming along nicely.

I've added a modified pistol, shotgun, quadruple-barreled shotgun and the SMG. I didn't want the gameplay to feel drastically different from vanilla, so the weapons are beefed up versions of the originals. However, they add a fresh face to the arsenal and some of them have their own quirks, such as the SMG, which has a variable rate of fire using A_Jumps.

I'm going to add the chainsaw, rocket launcher and plasma rifle next.

The chainsaw is going to be a cattleprod using the staff graphics from Fate as a placeholder. The rocket launcher will be the Impact Cannon using graphics from PO'ed as seen in CIF3. The idea behind it is rather than fire a rocket, it fires a projectile with high kinetic energy that pushes monsters back. I got the idea from the Serious Sam clone Nitro Family, which had a similar weapon. The plasma rifle will be the Skull Gun, which will fire alternating fireballs that snake like Hexen's serpent staff.

I haven't thought much about the BFG replacement, and the fists will simply have updated graphics so I don't have to mess with berserk compatibility.

I'm also considering reviving my failed Heretical weapons mod now that I'm working on HTC.

What would you guys like to see in a Heretic weapons mod? I'm going for something medieval, natch, but I always felt Heretic's weapons were far too wimpy. I also want to add a mix of mundance mechanical weapons, such as a blunderbuss and a rapid fire crossbow, along with some magical weapons.

That's pretty much it. I'll try to keep this updated from now. :)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

What's the status of Let's Get Medieval On Their Arse.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

On hold. I should release what I have so far for others to pick at.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Alright, here is the latest version of Let's Get Medieval. Keep in mind it isn't finished and there's a ton of unused stuff in there. Otherwise, I don't think it was too bad.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Hoo yeah, haven't messed with this one in a while! Time to break it out again for some slash-em-up action. Of course, I'm fresh off of playing some rounds of Pirates, Vikings & Knights II...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

There really should be more melee weapon mods. I had an idea for a homage to Splatterhouse using various graphics, mainly Kaiser's PO'ed rips and the machette from Powerslave. It would also have a shotgun, since I think there was a shotgun in one of the Splatterhouse games. That's a ways off, though.

Work on my Heretic map has been good, if slow, and I just added the impact cannon to the HOA weapons mod. Hopefully I'll have it finished and ready for upload here before the end of the week.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

My heretic map is nearly completed! Once it's done, I'm taking a break from mapping and going to fully focus on my weapon mods for a bit.

Speaking of which, I've decided to rechristen the Halls of Albion to Commandos!: Halls of Albion. There are some big changes that come with this, so I'll lay them out in order.

The weapons portion of the project is nearly complete, barring the ultimate weapon and the chainsaw replacement. Part of the reason for the name change was that I've been dying to re-explore Commandos, especially after so many failed projects, and seeing that this one is nearly complete and even kind of feels like the original, I thought what the hell. :p The weapons mod will simply be known as Commandos! for the time being.

The original project is now going to be a solo effort rather than a community project like I advertised at the ZDoom forums. It will also no longer be a hub, really, but rather a "mission pack" of sorts showing off some of the features in the weapons mod. I'll be sure to update the ZDoom post when I get a chance.

If all goes well, I might even go further with the mod and make a "director's cut" with enhanced features such as reloading and ejecting shells. That's a ways off, though. I'm just happy to revive Commandos! at this point.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

My Heretic map is finished for the time being, so it's back to work on my weapons mod. I'm thinking of starting one for Heretic so I have something new to play with as I go through the HTC maps.
Mr. Mistoffelees

Post by Mr. Mistoffelees »

Dear Snarboo,

Nuts... I've built myself a new computer, and my copy of your "Let's Get Medieval" has been lost in translation (or rather, transfer). Could you re-post it, please? It's the only mod I know of that has a mace-and-chain (flail) and there is a disturbing sense of joy in a hands-on approach to infernal pest control. :? :D

And, of course, anything else you feel like uploading will likewise be appreciated!

:shock:

(I tried... *grin*)

Thanks for everything!
-Mr. Mistoffelees

Return to “Development Journals”