I'M BACK.

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

No, I understand what you mean. :) I'm not sure I'm going to modify the pistol graphics. I'm actually happy with them, and I don't want to spend too much time going over what I've already completed. As for the fists, I think that might work better than what I have now. :D

New Developements!
Chronoteeth sent me a wad with graphics and sounds for a crossbow, which I'm going to use. I'm going to add them to a new weapon slot, slot 9, under the category Nomad weapons.

Nomads? That's right, Nomads! Replacing the Nazis in a future release, Nomads are a friendly unit that will drop the crossbow when killed, or possibly offer the player one if he talks to them.

Fists now function more like how hitmanx described them.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

cool. I'm a genious lol jk.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Black Ice is now in and fully functional! I'm going to be taking a break until later today. I've worked on this puppy all last night, heh. :)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Not to be a bitch or anything, but I haven't received the password yet for the zip.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

ok well i'll just put it here in public then. The password is..... *snarboo runs to the scene, smashing hitmanx with a wooden leg*

sorry can't help you.

...obviously...

..Why am i even writing here.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I swear I sent you the password, TDA. My PM Box even shows that you recieved the PM. I'll send it to you again.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Got it now. :thumb:

EDIT: Ok, issues so far.

- The single-shot pistol's firing sound appears to cut off after firing and, as mentioned, the reloading animation looks odd.
- The semi-auto pistol is very weak for a Super Shotgun replacement
- The single shotgun also looks odd while reloading: He breaks the barrel quick enough, grabs the shell quick enough but places it in as if he's afraid of the weapon breaking on him.
- The pump actions raising to pump sprite (PASGC0) looks as if it's already partially pumped on the way up. Also, on the main frames the right hand looks extremely odd.
- The rifles pickup sprite looks too much like the single barreled shotgun. Also, the lever sound is badly synced with the action.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

@TDA
-The sound does seem shorter than it should be. The reloading animation jumps a lot. I need to sync the frames better.
-The Semi-Auto will also be dropped by Zombieman once I get to the monster implementation phase. The two shotguns should be enough firepower to replace the supershotgun, but I'll consider replacing the supershotgun with something else once the monsters are in.
-I didn't want him to move too fast when inserting the shell, it looks kind of odd to me. That doesn't quite jive with how he handles it before, I know.
-Nothing I can do about either of those, really. The frames are based heavily on an extended version of the original shotgun, and you'll notice the same problem PASGC0 has with the original frames. I like the right hand on the ready frames, even if it looks odd. :p Might tweak it, though.
-Yeah, I was thinking of ways to make them different. As for the sound, I'll try to sync it better.

Progress Report!
Spent the last two days tuning up the mod for the next beta release. I've just added one of the remaining weapons, the Scavenger gun. Dropped by Scavengers, a monster I hope to implement along the way.

Finished up the base graphics for the KT10 SMG. Should be able to add it in sometime tonight. I'm considering a second beta release before I have all the weapons implemented.

Taking on an Arachnotron with the Scavenger Gun:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

K10 SMG finished and put into the mod! I want to finally add the casings and smoke effects before releasing the next beta. If anyone who missed the last beta wants to test this one out, please post.
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

I can't find any problems with the mod besides what the others mentioned (yes I just got to testing it :P)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Heh, it's okay. :D

I've been mulling over TDA's suggestion, and I'm not sure what to do about a proper replacement for the supershotgun. Since I want all the weapons to be available in both the original Doom and its sequal(s), and the Zombiemen will eventually drop the semi-auto for pickup, I just can't figure out what to do.

Another problem I'm having is with the Scavenger gun. I want the Scavengers to be a medium class monster that replaces the Hell Knight, which also doesn't appear in Doom 1. I'll probably end up having the Scavenger and K10 SMG cycle on the chaingun pickup. Since the Nomads are a friendly helper unit, I'm not as worried about the crossbow appearing in Doom 1 since you would only encounter them in special situations or custom levels.

Some of the ideas I had to replace the supershotgun were a ful-grenade launcher upgrade for the single barrel, a similar but underbarrel or even muzzle mounted grenade attachment for the K10, a semi-auto upgrade for the single barrel, the nomad crossbow or something else entirely. If anyone is interested or has any suggestions, please post!
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Snar: Just replace the invisibility powerup with a duplicate of the weapon.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That works. I was going to have an enemy that drops the invisibility power-up anyway. :)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I've effectively hit a modder's block here. I'm not sure where to take my mod now. On the bright side, I've implemented a new weapon in the rifle class along with the sharpshooter: the Northern Alliance DB-88. The DB-88 is a large, clunky and slow to reload chainrifle, a slower chaingun. This mechanical beast chews through ammo and kicks like a greased hog, but outside of the sharpshooter, nothing matches its power.

The primary fire has been implemented and I'm working on the secondary, which revs up the DB-88's motor without engaging the firing mechanism. Instead, it fires out jets of steam from the heat of the running motor. The secondary will need ful (fuel) to operate, and I'm also considering making the primary burn through it too.

I need some inspiration for my next weapon, however. I'm thinking it will be some kind of laser, but I'm looking for good graphics to tinker with, preferably centered, but angled will do. I have quite a few graphics lying around which I could also use, but I was hoping to use them in other projects. I'm also looking for Doom 64 laser sounds and Doom 3 BFG reload sounds. Can anyone help?
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

I'll be damned if I let this mod die. Here's your sounds.

Yay.

Return to “Development Journals”