I'M BACK.

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

DuduKrazy

Post by DuduKrazy »

Does Serious Sam's minigun sounds count as overused?
To me, that weapon is in a mid-term between "Never seen before" and "Totally Overused"
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Okay, so the chaingun is in, but I'm wondering something. Using +AMMO_OPTIONAL and A_JumpIfNoAmmo, I've been able to have the chaingun wind down when it runs out of ammo.

This has the side effect of making the weapon quickly wind up and then wind down when the trigger is held, as though it can't fire. It's a cool effect, but it seems out of place. At the same time I don't like the default behaviour, which automatically jumps to the deselect state sans animation.

Should I keep this effect or remove it? Keep in mind this is the only weapon that behaves this way. I tried using A_JumpIfNoAmmo and Goto Deselect first so the weapon could still switch after running out of ammo, but this just broke the weapon by turning it invisible without switching to another one. It was impossible to get out of that state, either. :/
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

As long as it works, really. Personally, I prefer that none of the weapons automatically switch when empty, but it's your mod.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Sounds good then!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I am very close to releasing this project! I just need to insert the fist and rocket frames, tweak it, and this puppy will be ready for "Gamma" release! I'll post a thread at the ZDoom forums so others can play it. I'm not sure yet if I will post this to idgames or not.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

It's done!

Get it here:
kdzde-sn.zip - 0.34MB

ZDoom Forums Thread

Note: Requires KDiZD to run, as it inherits some of its custom effects. If there is enough interest, I might recode it for a standalone release.

Credits and changes are located inside of the wadfile. This is v0.9 Gamma. It's mostly done, but could use tweaks and possibly new effects. Please post constructive criticism!
Jstanf35

Post by Jstanf35 »

Just had a quick playthough - it gave me an error about 'Berzerk' not being a constant in Zdoom, but it worked fine in GZdoom. The weapons are excellent - the graphics and the sounds really gel together to make the weapons feel more at home among the new levels (I don't know why they drastically revamped everything BUT the weapons - it just didn't seem to make much sense)

EDIT: If I were you, I'd keep the Super shotgun graphics. They're great as they are. I'm 100% certain that you won't get any shit from iD about it.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Aw poo, I might have to rename the custom states I used for the fist. For some reason, I prefer Berzerk over Berserk. :/
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

ZDoom 2.1.7 doesn't have custom states in it, which is the problem Jstanf was having.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh, okay. Do you know if the next version will have them?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

This is a cross post from my ZDoom project thread. While Witchaven was a pretty crappy game, it has some of the best medieval weapons I've seen for a Raycasted FPS. Seriously, most of those weapons have so many frames you almost run out of frame letters when naming them in Doom's format.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Since ZDoom is down for me, I'd thought I'd post here.

A couple screenshots from Let's Get Medieval on Map 01 to keep you satisfied:
[spoiler]Image
This Zombieman is about to be cut in half!

An imp gets its skull cracked open with the flail.[/spoiler]

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I just added the flail. :D Once I get the first 5 weapons (dagger, ceremonial blade, gladius, flail and axe) inserted into the mod, along with the treasure chests, I'll release the first beta to the testers. I'm still picking them, by the way. ;)
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I'll test. =P
Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

Am I the only one who thinks WH graphics look really tacky? They kinda fit with KA though...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

WH graphics aren't the best, but they are the best medieval graphics I have available. I'm not using Heretic\Hexen rips, as that's been done to death.

With that out of the way, I'm probably going to do a quick closed beta, then an open one. I have my closed testers already picked.

Return to “Development Journals”