Escaping the Loophole

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Lardarse

Escaping the Loophole

Post by Lardarse »

So, this is what happens when a Quake modder decides to do something different for a change...

My plan is to make a weapons mod for Doom. But instead of doing that traditional overpowered thing that a lot of people do, I want to try to create something that's balanced. I don't know if I'll succeed, but it will be an interesting experience...

Comments will be welcome througout, particlarly if I'm trying to do something stupid with the code...

To leave you not completely dry of news, here's a first draft of my pistol. I will likely be using a custom skin for this once the coding side is mostly done and I know which direction I want to go with it, but the timings are close to what I'm looking for.

[spoiler]

Code: Select all

actor SustainPistol : Pistol 27700
{
  obituary "%o was sprinkled by %k's new pistol."
  attacksound "weapons/pistol"
  weapon.selectionorder 1910
  weapon.kickback 50
  weapon.ammotype "Clip"
  weapon.ammouse 1
  weapon.ammogive 20
  +WEAPON.WIMPY_WEAPON
  states
  {
  Ready:
    PISG A 1 A_WeaponReady
    loop
  Deselect:
    PISG A 1 A_Lower
    loop
  Select:
    PISG A 1 A_Raise
    loop
  Fire:
    PISG A 4
    PISG B 0 A_FireBullets (2.5, 1.5, 2, 2, "BulletPuff")
    PISG B 7 A_GunFlash
    PISG C 4
    PISG B 3
    PISG B 6 A_ReFire
    goto Ready
  Hold:
    PISG A 4
    PISG B 0 A_FireBullets (5, 3, 3, 2, "BulletPuff")
    PISG B 6 A_GunFlash
    PISG C 4
    PISG B 7 A_ReFire
    goto Ready
  Flash:
    PISF A 7 bright A_Light1
    PISF A 0 bright A_Light0
    stop
  }
}
The idea with this pistol is that it's a slightly harder to use pistol, which rewards you with 20% more damage per ammo unit and 20% more damage per second, once it is into its firing cycle. The First shot accuracy is mitigated by doing less damage and being slower. It's designed to make you want to be continually firing it to get the most out of it. And yes, it does fire multiple shots. I dont see this gun as being a standard slug-firing pistol...[/spoiler]
I'll post my thoughts on the other weapons when I have some concrete ideas for them, worded in a way that makes sense to anyone else...

Return to “Development Journals”