Pilottobombadier's Mods aka Lock and Load and Shit

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Well whenever someone says beta test, i'm there like a fly to a zapper! X3
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Which means either you're suicidal, or you never learn from your mistakes.

(Kidding.)
pilottobombadier

Post by pilottobombadier »

Or he's quite inept perhaps? j/k :P

You guys know I'll keep you posted; I'm quite the attention whore like that. Anyway, if I can't figure out how to turn my computer into a file server, I'll just send it to you guys via e-mail or MSN or something.

So, so far...one beta tester? or two? You think you'd have time, WW?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Hey, sure, why not? I'll be sure to give all kinds of feedback (and needless nitpicking).
pilottobombadier

Alrighty, the beta is almost ready. I will hopefully have it ready by next Fri (my XP final is coming up this week, sorry guys). I just need to reassign ammotypes and ammo limits and doublecheck the weapons code. and move the weapons and sounds from the TC wadfile to a weadfile strictly for the weapons mod, as there are a couple weapons that won't be in the mod, and I think one sound effect. Nothing major. Oh, and assign a couple alt-deaths. Goddammit, I knew I forgot something...I think I need to start making to-do lists :P

Also, I wasn't able to complete the secondary attack for the flamethrower. This is due to the fact that I will need to draw something up because I can't find anything that looks to be suitable enough to look like globules of flamethrower fuel, let alone puddles of it.

What the beta will consist of is all of the weapons immediately available; I'm not going to assign pickups just yet, I want to get a beta out to see how some will react to what's there, and also to get some judgment as to how I should "place" the weapons (ie. what powerups will have to be removed) - and also to propose a few tweaks.

So, so far for beta testers, there's Wild Weasel and Chronoteeth. Anyone else want in on it?
pilottobombadier

Work In Progress build available

I finally have something to show for my putzing around. If you missed it on the EDGE forums, here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/pilottobombadier/lnl5w.zip

There are 10 working weapons and a few tweaks to enemies. Requires EDGE 1.29 or later.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Finally...it's been what, nine months? =P I'll have a look at it straight away.
pilottobombadier

Something like that. School got in the way. And my enormous resource file...which is still a resource file, only I'll move things along at a slower pace.
pilottobombadier

Another release

There'll be a new release of Lock and Load by Wednesday evening. The changes to expect are:

-Plasma rifle with spread-fire secondary attack

-Spidermastermind and Cyberdemon release shrapnel upon death. Cyberdemon also fires 5 missiles in random directions, one per death frame. Both also have splash damage attributed to the first frame of the death animation

-Zombie guy has a pistol. Will drop magnums, chainsaw will be a pickup for something else, probably the automatic shotgun. That pickup already replaces the super shotgun, and that slot will be filled by the flechette rifle. Chaingun pickup will be changed to something else.

That is all.

*edit* due to work, Wednesday is no longer realistic; Friday would be more appropriate due to the need to test the mod. You know, to make sure it all works :p
pilottobombadier

Okay, latest version is available at the usual spot (read up a l couple posts, you'll find the link), everything mentioned is in it plus a few fixes. Enjoy.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Mm, in my honest opinion I think the automatic shotgun should be either toned down, removed, or changed to replace a more powerful weapon. Bearing in mind that Doom 2 gives you the chainsaw at the start, the player would have an auto shotgun from the very moment he begins the game and would basically be way too powerful until around Map08.
pilottobombadier

Which is why the flamethrower's in its place now. And was before I redeployed the mod.

The flamethrower's quite powerful, too, but it pisses through ammo. Eventually, the only way to resupply it will be to either pick up another flame thrower or an ammo backpack, but that won't be a reality until I deploy the railgun.

Also, the shotguns are only powerful at close range; they're extremely inaccurate at medium-to-long range, and that reduces their effectiveness greatly.

Furthermore, the reloads do make you quite vulnerable despite their shortness, so I think that they've actually been very well balanced.

I know you don't actually have a lot of time to play the mod, but give Doom 2 or one of the Final Doom wads a run-through with it if you have time; that way you'll be able to see how all of the weapons work in different environments.
pilottobombadier

Railgun is now working with a secondary attack. You know where the download link is. (up, for the uninitiated)
pilottobombadier

Lock and Load 6 in the works, slowly but surely

Yet another work in progress (although 5 is finished, it really is), still going with an RPG angle. Have most of the weapon sprites put together already, but I will be adding more.

In terms of available weapons...well, we'll see. I'm looking into creating a healing weapon and, once again, changing the way the player uses health.

Haven't quite figured out what maximum level will be, still trying to determine how it'll work with the weapons.

Return to “Development Journals”