Marines of UAC: Exigency

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I can do some voice acting if you want. Just tell me what to say and how and I'll go ahead and do it.
Nick_Perrin

Post by Nick_Perrin »

I've edited this post to match the one on the EDGE forums.

EDIT: Had to remove the linked image (Exigency logo) from automatically displaying, as it was somehow messing with my site. Silly Freewebs.
http://www.freewebs.com/mouac/ExigPicBG.png

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ADDED NEW HI-RES EXPLOSIONS
+ADDED NEW HI-RES BULLET PUFF EFFECTS
+EDITED AND ADDED ANIMATIONS FOR WEAPONS

I'm telling you guys, you're going to love the graphical overhaul I'm giving MoUAC right now. It takes a lot of time to perform all the changes and do all the tweaking necessary to perfect it all, but the results are very rewarding and well worth it. Essentially I'm trying to simulate, as much as I can through EDGE, real particle system-style effects. Where I can't imitate it well enough, I go brute-force and pre-animate it. In terms of weapons, I'm making the animations smooth and fun where I can, with a few nice touches you'll see when you play. Unfortunately this means the mod will clock in at a very large size, so you will have to get it via idgames or by torrent. I will be seeding 24/7 so no worries there!

Current list of potential voice actors:
-LizardCommando
-djshrimpy
-sawyerscheer

Let me know if you want to partake in the voice acting. There is no rush; I'm still working on the script for the most part, but the intro scene will be ready soon. I'm also very open to criticism, I want this mod to be (for the most part) well-written, or at least competently written. Normally that's very easy, but dialogue can be tricky to do right. I think it's turning out well though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dartmerc wrote:Well i'm glad I inspired you to jump back into it, how long have you been working on this now anyway? I think I remember you starting the project, but I can't remember when that was lol
To answer your question from August, I only just discovered the answer myself thanks to ancient forum posts and whatnot. It's been in production since probably some time in 2004. It began as a singleplayer add-on for the original MoUAC (now "Soldier's Stockpile"), then it was reworked to have new weapons, then it was reworked again I believe for the Doom 2.5 weapons, then I began making maps, then scrapped those for a new vision and starting creating the singleplayer adventure again.

There was no concrete plan and the sheer size of the project would have been insurmountable, so those maps were scrapped YET AGAIN and the episodes were born. This is the current iteration of MoUAC that you are seeing now, with Exigency first on the list. The vision is super-strong now and the story, as you know Dartmerc, is totally fleshed out and more important than ever to the mod.

Because of all those changes, Exigency has technically been in production for almost as long as Batman Doom! I assure you, future episodes will come faster. I don't have to start from scratch!

-Nick

P.S. One day I will release those early maps from the first iterations of MoUAC. I don't know if I still have all the necessary scripts for them, but we'll see. I'll also have an "alpha" of the current MoUAC if anyone is interested in seeing the progression.
Last edited by Nick_Perrin on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59, edited 1 time in total.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Doesn't making the weapons smoother with more frames usually end up making weapons slower?
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Not necessarily. If the animation is choppy to begin with, adding additional frames and smoothing it out shouldn't affect the weapon's actual speed at all, provided that proper care is taken to ensure that the exact number of tics in the animation isn't changed.
Nick_Perrin

Post by Nick_Perrin »

wildweasel wrote:Not necessarily. If the animation is choppy to begin with, adding additional frames and smoothing it out shouldn't affect the weapon's actual speed at all, provided that proper care is taken to ensure that the exact number of tics in the animation isn't changed.
Exactly right.

But the focus is not making the weapons smoother, just to say that all the animations are nice and smooth. It's a very minor thing really, what's important are the OTHER graphical upgrades I've been doing. When I said "this means it will clock in at a large size," I meant because of the particle-esque sprites and THEIR animations, not the weapons. Not to mention the OGG music and the variety of sound used.
Nick_Perrin

Post by Nick_Perrin »

Hey guys. This is my first update in a fairly long time, but I'd just like to announce that I'm going to be building this mod from now in a similar fashion to the guy who released that excellent "Zero Tolerance" weapons mod - essentially, in secret until something substantial is ready.

This also means I won't even talk about it, not about the ideas, features, even progress. The only thing I can tell you at the moment is that I will need voice actors in the final stages of production, but that is currently irrelevant as I will let you all know at that time, and I will also be searching many communities for voice actors, not just Doom forums like this one.

However, despite the silence, one of these days, you might just be browsing around the net, hit up your favourite doom site, and discover that an Exigency pre-release trailer is out...

And if your jaw doesn't drop, then you should tell me right away, because that means it isn't ready for release.

That's all for now.

-N

P.S. One thing I have to be up-front about is my anxiety as the project proceeds farther with EDGE. As Zdoom/GZdoom attains more and more features as well as strong GL support, I feel like I might be using the wrong port for this specific mod. I would have to extensively learn DECORATE and delay the project massively rebuilding things, but I feel a little unsure still.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I could help with voice acting if you're looking for a generic marine, an operator to contact the player from back at base/HQ/whatever, or a computer.

Return to “Development Journals”