Weasel's Mods

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

No, you can just find caffine boosting items to give you the level meter back.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That's good. I was worried you'd lose the caffiene boost permanently. :)
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Concept: Weasel's Hits Collection

Right now this is just an idea on the very back of the back burners, but I wanted to put the idea out for scrutiny from the community.

Weasel's Hits Collection would be a series of remakes/upgrades to my past mods, to do things like add special effects, fix bugs and balance issues, and do things that I really wanted to do with the mod but was unable to at the time due to technology restraints. I would do them all in chronological order, so I would naturally start off with a complete remake of Weasel's Weapons. The weapon ideas themselves would remain unchanged, but they would be completely redone - resources, code, sometimes even the basic behavior would be radically changed to match my original concepts.

This would be an ongoing project, starting from Weasel's Weapons up to The Stranger. I obviously would not attempt to make all of these at once, especially not with the projects I already have in progress (cola2, the hexen mod, stranger part 2, and of course chc2).
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Another thing you could probaly do is a "greatist hits" style colletion of your favorite/best weapons from previous mods all in one.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That sounds like a great idea, Weasel! I was actually considering asking you and Xaser if you would consider upgrading those old Zdoom 63a exclusive mods to decorate. It's a lot to ask from a person, but it's also a shame that those mods can only be played in a dated version of a source port. I can help you anyway I can.

I've gotten much better with splicing weapons together and tweaking graphics, so if you need something like that, I can do it. It would help if I could learn decorate, too.
Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

MasterOFDeath wrote:Another thing you could probaly do is a "greatist hits" style colletion of your favorite/best weapons from previous mods all in one.
'Mixed Tape' (1&2) did nothing to deter you from saying that? Oh well, I'm kind of ambivalent on this whole plan, myself.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Snarboo wrote:That sounds like a great idea, Weasel! I was actually considering asking you and Xaser if you would consider upgrading those old Zdoom 63a exclusive mods to decorate. It's a lot to ask from a person, but it's also a shame that those mods can only be played in a dated version of a source port. I can help you anyway I can.

I've gotten much better with splicing weapons together and tweaking graphics, so if you need something like that, I can do it. It would help if I could learn decorate, too.
If Xaser never gets around to it, then I've already started a bit of work on WarZone. I'll probably finish that in a few days and e-mail it to him as WarZone Classic so he can turn it into the mod he always wanted.

Also, Weasel, if you could send any of the weapons that were on that list we discussed (I can resend it if you've forgotten), it would save me quite a bit of time from doing it myself. That is, whenever you get around to it.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You might want to resend the list, because I don't think I have it anymore.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay...having made myself sick of all the other mods I have in progress, I opted to start off with WWHC-XM - wildweasel's hits collection, Extreme Measures.

So far, most of the resources have stayed the same, as this was my first mod to use Decorate. I did, however, revise much of the Decorate code to be more readable and better organized (the burn-death states are now around 5 lines long, as opposed to one line for every single frame), and updated a few of the monsters (the Assault Mecha is now replaced with the one in The Stranger, so he has more attacks).

As part of the renovation process, I deleted the entire DeHackEd patch, which I intend to replicate using Decorate and the Language lump. Most Decorate actors that replaced older ones using editor numbers have been converted to use the "replaces" keyword.

So far, only one weapon has been recoded - the Browning Automatic has been given better graphics, but acts much the same as it used to. The accuracy formula has changed so the gun now spreads vertically as well as horizontally, and you no longer need to destroy a barrel to get the gun, as the Replaces keyword now takes care of the weapon pickup. It still replaces the Chainsaw.

I'll most likely be doing the super-weapons next - the IWBG and the Swarmers will most likely be switched, so the IWBG must be assembled from parts obtained from Afrits, and the Swarmers will be the BFG replacement and will actually act like swarmers (see the swarmers in ww-hexen or the plasma replacement in ww-cola2).

Post by Alter »

Weasel, i can't make levels with any of your weapon mods in DB, when i open things menu Doombuilder jumps out with key is not unique in collection error,
DB crashes and i can't make wads with your weapons
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

My weapon mods never have new placeable items in them. You should just be able to place the default Doom weapons/items in there and my mod will take care of the rest.

Post by Alter »

ACtually no, when i double-click any thing, DB crashes with that error... probably because replace is included in weapons

EDIT: Found a workaround, if diaz replaces all weapons and items then why not just put standard items on map....
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

That's what he meant. :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

ww-ultimate

I'm sick of all these weapon mods that just take weapons from everywhere else and lump them into a gigantic pack of 60 or 70 weapons at once. The weapon overflow is insane, and players always end up with tons of weapons and not enough ammo to use any of them because of so many different ammo types. So I'm going to finally one-up them. AEOD, 100gunsX, ZDGuns...they're all going down.

ww-ultimate is going to have LOTS of guns. Nearly every weapon I've ever made will probably make it in here, enhanced in any way I can think of to make each weapon feel different.

But the twist here is that you can't carry all of them at once. No more weapon overflow. Just 7 keys is all you'll need, and only one weapon per key. Melee, pistols, shotguns/rifles, machine guns and rapidfire weapons, explosives, energy weapons, and super weapons. That's it. If you like the autopistol, but you're currently holding a revolver, you're going to have to drop the revolver.

The core mechanics and scripts are already in place, and the first real weapon is implemented (the unused Glock from ww-stranger). The reloading system has been modified to take advantage of custom state labels, which means that this mod currently only works with SVN versions of ZDoom. As such, I will not be making any public beta releases to stave off the "this mod won't run" crap that I get.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I don't get what the whole deal is behind AEOD, 100gunsX, etc. mods. There's just way too many guns and most of the enemies kinda act the same...

Anyways, this mod sounds pretty cool. I wanted to do that for my mod, but there's no way in hell I would have been able to pull that off.

Return to “Development Journals”