Weasel's Mods

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Weasel's Mods

Post by wildweasel »

We've officially moved in, and despite some complaints (all seemingly from the same one person), it seems to have worked out quite well. I'll still be around the Old Forum to make sure nobody's abusing it.

Unnamed Explosions Mod

Not a lot of progress. I did touch up the muzzle flash for the Famas, and sped up/weakened the sub-machine gun. I'm currently looking around for a new pistol replacement (the current one will be dropped by zombies - I want something a little slower, more powerful).
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Doom Illustrated: ZDoom Edition

* Reduced damage on the Spitfire Minigun.
* Working on filling in the blanks on the alt-fires. Heavy Machine Gun will have an underslung mortar launcher with A_Mushroom applied to it (Fury_X style - the Mancubus will be replaced through Dehacked).
* Fixed strange sector lighting from HMG's muzzle flash.
* Thinking of a suitable alt-fire for the Minigun.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Weasel: A_Mushroom is parametized now: It's now A_Mushroom("MissileType")
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Alright then, good thing I didn't start my DeHackEd changes yet (why wasn't this in the Wiki, I wonder?)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Easy: 2.0.96x only.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Doom Illustrated: ZDoom

* Mortar cannon is complete, just finding a place to spawn its ammo (replace Hell Knights with heavy machine gunners?)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Unnamed EDGE Mod

* Added new starting weapon: the .44 Colt King Cobra, using Nmn's incredible new graphics (which I'll post on the Resource Pool soon).
* The original starting weapon, the fast pistol, is now dropped by Zombies.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Unnamed EDGE Mod

* The Seburo MN-23 has been implemented.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'm Almost Finished...

Doom Illustrated: ZDoom Edition

* The Shotgun recieved a major overhaul today. It's got a pseudo-nofire-return system added to it. You can click once to fire, click again to fire a second shell, then click a third time to pump it. The altfire has not been changed.
* Decreased the damage on the HMG mortar fragments. They can no longer kill most medium-large monsters in one shot (Strifedamage applied).
* Fixed the offset on the EM Rifle's alt-fire trail.
* Changed ammo drops so the player can get more Flame ammo and not so many Mortars.
* Increased movement speed on Mortar shells so that they fly farther.
* Still thinking about an altfire for the minigun. Preferably something that's not cliche'd by now. (Freezer-burst? Tracer flechettes that plow through enemies, fire slower, and are harder to find? Painkiller-style rocket launcher?)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

homing bullets
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I only wish I could do homing bullets...but I went with the flechette rounds.

Doom Illustrated

* Flechettes have been added as a seperate ammo type. They fire a bit slower than the chaingun's bullets, but they are 100% accurate due to the stabilization system.
* Fixed obituary on the Combine troopers.

Code: Select all

Subject: DOOMGUY - Analysis: Exterminated
* Fixed bug with shotgun not using ammo for its second blast (still not quite sure how that happened...)
* Added unique sounds for weapon pickups
* Fixed ammo drops for Chaingun ammo - now you get 50 chaingun rounds and 40 flechette rounds for every spawn, instead of 25 and 20
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Since Doom Illustrated is nearly done with, I've begun work on some other EDGE mod.

Seriously!

A mod featuring all the weapons from Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, reproduced almost faithfully in EDGE, and using none of the resources from the Sam games. Progress so far:

* The Knife has been implemented. Totally useless unless you have Berserk.
* The Pistols (yes, both of them) are working more or less, but they do not reload yet (can't figure out how to do it while retaining their infinite ammo status).
* The Shotgun's animation works, but I need to change its attack so the spread is just like Sam's.
* The Super Shotgun's animation also works, but again, I need to make the spread more like Sam's.
* The Tommy Gun is in, and it ain't a Tommy Gun anymore. I'm using Nmn's SMG graphics from Pack #2.
* The Chainsaw is also added, though without sounds. (I may take the ones from Sam:TSE for this, as they're the only ones that will actually work)
* All other weapons at least have their sprites and sounds included, though they aren't implemented on the DDF side of things.
* I intend to make Doom versions of some of the Sam enemies, like the headless kamikazes.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DI-ZD

Mostly just minor bug-fixes left now (mostly in the DEH patch).
* Added new Shells graphic and changed strings to reflect the fact that Shells only give you 2 instead of 4.
* Fixed refire states on the Fist so there is no sudden jerking in the animation.

Seriously!

* Made the final decision NOT to include any of Sam's quotes in the game. There wouldn't be any opportunities to incorporate them without making him like Phil3B (constantly repeating himself).
* Both Shotguns are complete now. They take a total of 21 individual attack entries in DDF.
* Added all the weapon names into the Language file. (Some had to be changed - I don't want the Tommygun in here because the best Tommygun graphics have all been used enough times)
* Made pistol animations a bit more consistent.
* Chainsaw sounds have been added.
* Added individual sounds for all health and armor pickups, and implemented most of them (wondering where to put in the +50 health and +25 Armor powerups...)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Breaking News

This just in: I decided to rework my ideas for the Unnamed Explosions Mod. Since having all those explosive weapons caused a major balance issue, I decided to think of a way I could justify not making them hurt the player. This came in the form of turning the player into an assault mech. A few DDF tweaks here and there, and we had a stompin' mech, complete with awesome crashing sounds when it died.

But this also prompted me to redesign the weaponry.

See, a mecha wouldn't be caught dead holding a 9mm pistol in its hands. Nor would that mecha be using Doomguy hands.

So I'm remaking the mod, with more powerful weapons, more things that might possibly be mecha-styled, and no more doomguy hands. None of the weapons will have hands on them, further reinforcing the feel that you are in control of a giant mech.

I'll add a few RTS scripts as well to make it seem like a Mechwarrior game. The extra elements might not function at all, but it'll be pretty neat. So in summary:

Unnamed Explosions Mod becomes Unnamed Mecha Mod
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That sounds awesome, Weasel! I'm surprised nobody else has thought of this before, and this could easily be the most unique weapons mod released yet! I can't wait to see an update on this.

Return to “Development Journals”