Wad In Progress/Limbo

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Snarboo wrote:The mod reminds me of those old Quake mods that would have everything but the kitchen sink when it came to weapons and monsters. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it could use some tweaks and changes. I'll play through it some more and tell you what I think. :)
Kitchen Sink eh? Primary fire will be an over the head bash, secondary will be to squirt water . . . oh wait . . . no

Anyone? Any takers at finding fault with my unfinished piece of unmasterfully worked masterwork?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'll make a post with constructive criticisms soon.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance. I'm going to make this as constructive as possible, but I'm sorry if any of it hurts your feelings. Please keep in mind that this is not a slight against you.

With that out of the way, I'm going to organize things into different categories under three principes: Good, Neutral, Bad. I hope that's self explanatory.

General Stuff

Good:
*Many of the weapons are really cool and innovative.
*The monsters look good from what I've seen of them in XWE, but since I don't know their names, I can't summon them.

Neutral:
*You have to cheat to get all the weapons. I know that's probably because it's a beta.
*I'm not sure why you inluded the original weapons, but again, I understand if they were left over for beta purposes. I would recommend removing them, though, as they contribute to the cluttered feel the mod has.
*It's kind of weird that some of the weapons don't have sounds. Makes them feel off, but I understand this is a beta. :)
*Most of the new weapons don't use ammo. Again, beta. :)

Bad:
*There is a lot of clutter on many of the keys. It's very hard cycling to a specific weapon in many cases.
*Some of the weapons are clones or variants of other weapons, making the mod suffer from "me too" syndrome. Removing weapons that are only slightly different would help reduce clutter, too.
*All the melee weapons awaken monsters upon use. I do not like this. I don't understand how they can awaken monsters, so I would do something about this.

Weapon Specific
So you know, I don't know any of the weapon names, even though they are listed in the read me. I'll try to reference the weapons as best as I can by describing them.

Good:
Key 1
*Golden Axe - This weapon alone gets 10 bonus points for referencing the classic Sega Game. :D It's big, awesome, and it does a great deal of damage. Just what I'd expect a legendary axe to be able to do!
*Cheese Grater - Weak, but the novetly alone makes up for it.

Key 2
*Wrist Pistol - Very nice starting weapon. Good graphics, speed, sound and damage. I love the tracer bullet effect. Graphics COULD use a minor bit of tweaking, but it's pretty much fine as is.

Key 4
*Auto Cannon - Very nice. The primary fire is a relatively fast and powerful machinegun, and the secondary fire is an automatic shotgun. Not something you see very often. Since it uses the same sound as the wrist pistol, it would nifty if it had the same attack, only faster. Graphics definitely need tweaking. The shape of the weapon is fine, it's the "texture" that looks off. It's washed out in appearance and the silver with brown splotches does not go well together. Not much fun to look at.
*Stink Bomb Rifle - Very innovative! Reminds me of a show I watched about a police weapon that fired stink pellets from a paintball gun. It's a little overpowered, but I like it.

Key 5
*Nail gun - I don't know what this is, but that's what it reminds me of. Fires out "nails" that don't seem to do any damage and pass through enemies. It's the shrapnel that damages them. It's a bit quirky and I still don't know how it works, but I like that. This weapon suffers from the same graphical problems as the Auto Cannon, in addition to looking like a cardboard cut out.
*Firebomb - Overpowered, but only because it doesn't use any ammo. Fires out a projectile that bursts into flames that burn for a while as the primary, and a "mushroom cloud" orb as the secondary. I like both modes, especially the secondary as it's fun to watch it leave a trail of mushroom clouds behind itself. :)
*Double Mortar - Nice and simple. Primary fire is a contact grenade, secondary is a bouncing cluster bomb. The graphics are a little bland and the colors are off, so it could use some tweaks. Otherwise perfect.
*Orange Grenade Launcher - Descriptive, eh? ;) I remember you submitted this for Commandos: Reaction, and I still plan on using it in a modified form. The primary fire seems overpowered, but I need to test it some more. Like the rapid projectile launcher for the secondary. The graphics are fine, but need tweaking. Tweaking the colors to be more Doom palette friendly, adding a few more rotation frames for the primary fire and muzzles flashes for both firing modes would be nice.

Key 6
*Fireball Launcher - I love this thing so much I gave it the nickname "the Red Death". :D It's overpowered in the sense that it fires very fast, but I really love the spiral of caco and the helix of imp fireballs it spews out. I'm sure you're tired of hearing this, but the graphics need tweaking. It's just a little too red and plain looking.
*Spiral Plasma Gun - Absolutely perfect. Only minor quibble is that the plasma trail takes too long to disappear, and it's easy to overload ZDoom and grind it to a halt.

Key 7
*Fireball Gun - A nice take on the whole super weapon idea. :) The primary fire launches fireballs that do good damage, while the secondary fires a burst of fireballs that break up into mushroom clouds.

Key 8 (My favorite category. :)
*Crossbow - The graphic is overused, but darnit, I like it! The arrows actually fall with gravity, and the secondary fire is the icing on the cake.
*Punch Dagger - Another favorite, especially how you charge the enemy while using it. Don't like how it awakens monsters with use, and the graphics suffer in the same way the Autogun and Nail Gun do.
*Scuba Steve Unmaker - It's perfect. This weapon can probably stay as it is and not use any ammo as both it's firing modes, while powerful, dwindle with range.
*Railgun - Another perfect weapon. Although I'm not fond of railguns, the graphics kick ass and it's fun to use.

Key 9
*Fire Gauntlet - Love it. It's unique and fun to use, which is always a plus. *Wind Gauntlet - The secondary fire doesn't seem to do anything and the graphics are too low on the screen, but otherwise fine.
*Rapid Fire Crossbow - I have no idea what this is, but I like it. It seems to make the same sound as the crossbow, so maybe it's a rapid fire crossbow? The graphics look way too cartoony and weird and need to be fixed, though.

Key 0
*Steel Ball Launcher - Love it, but like most of the weapons in category 9 and 0, the graphics are way too low on the screen.

Neutral:
Key 1
*Mace - Although this also gets 10 bonus points for being inspired by Golden Axe, it's just too similar in appearance and function to the real Golden Axe to be useful. The weapon is just not as fun to use because it's weak and the Golden Axe basically make it useless. The only suggestion I can make for this one is to make be replaced entirely by the Golden Axe upon pickup, otherwise it becomes useless and wastes space.

Key 4
*Alpha Doom Rifle - It's been used a lot, but I still love it. The problem comes from the fact that the secondary fire feels too much like the fist rather than a bayonet, and the primary fire is fast enough that the sound gets cut out. Not good.

Key 6
*Black Thing - I couldn't even think of a good name for this. :( The only reason I'm iffy about this one is because it feels too much like the Plasma Rifle. Graphics could be tweaked, but it's mostly fine.
*Super Autogun - Acts almost exactly like the autogun, only it fires too fast and the firing animation makes it look like it's vibrating rather than firing. It's way too powerful, it makes a buzzing sound because it fires too fast and the sound gets cut out and the secondary fire has an "echo" after you fire it. If you could tone it down a little, it would be a nice upgrade to the Autogun. Nice graphics for the most part, but the barrel looks kind of odd.

Key 7
*Super BFG - Paul's BFG graphics are a little overused, but it's a nice weapon. I'm sort of iffy about it because it seems to act too much like the original BFG, but the plasma mines rule.
*(Pulse Gun - The silver gun with the green fin on it. It basically fires a slow moving, slightly modified BFG projectile. I don't find myself using this very often.) <-- Please disregard this. I just noticed it creates undead version of yourself upon hitting an enemy. Very cool!
*Quake Nailgun - I call it this only because it sort of resembles the classic weapon from Quake. I'm not sure why I'm iffy about this one, as the firing mode is kind of cool. It fires out a group of projectiles in a spread, and a bigger one through the center. The graphics are the main thing I'm not too fond of. They're big and suffer the same way the Autogun does(ie too many brown splotches and plain silver).

Key 8
*Doom Beta Machinegun - Doesn't work, so I can't rate it. I always loved the way this weapon looked and the animation inside of the wad looks nice. Can't wait to see what it really does. :)

Key 9
*Chicken Beak - A nice take on the chicken "weapon" from Heretic. :) It's nice to be able to fly without a power up. This is only iffy for me because it's kind of hard to use(seems to be based more on intertia than what direction you try to move in) and the graphics are too low on the screen.

Key 0
*Spheres - I don't know what any of these do, they all look the same and are all too low on the screen. If you could turn this into one weapon were you switch modes with the secondary fire, that would be nice. One of the modes doesn't seem to do anything, the other just wobbles, and one spews out gas. The one that sits there blinks, so I think it's supposed to be a bomb. The wobbly, semi transparent ones are an utter mystery to me, though.

Bad
Key 1
*The Spoon - once the novelty wears off, it's just a weaker version of the fist. Suffers the same "brown and silver" look that the Autogun does. I'd remove this one, or make it a "cheat only" weapon. Although the cheese grater is just as gimmicky, it's more fun to use.

Key 3
*Double Shotgun - The graphics and animation are good, but they look stretched out. This weapon is also doubled, meaning there are two of these on the same key. When you get right down to it, though, it's just the super shotgun. The sound isn't too hot, either. Not impressed.
*Throw Gun - I call it this because it throws you around while using it. It's basically useless, as far as I am concerned. It's ultra inaccurate so you have to get way too close to use it, it throws the user around(making it hard to aim), and the sound is just bad. It might as well be the chainsaw. Either fix or remove it.

Key 4
*Double Tommy Guns - I love the Blood graphics, but feels too much like a boring chaingun replacement. It's not very animated and the sound is rather muted. It just needs more oomf and personality is all.

Key 7
*N64 Unmaker - Way too powerful. The projectile bounces around wildy, meaning it will most likely jump back towards the player and kill him instantly. Even walking close to it is suicide. Not to mention I've killed myself in God mode while using this. Tone it down and it will be much friendlier to use. :)

Key 0
*Burninator - I know it's just a joke gun, but I don't like it very much. It's basically an instant kill chainsaw and fist combo with Trogdor graphics.

That's it! Overall, there's a lot to like about this mod. It needs some tweaks, but it has a lot of potential. I know it will take a while to read through, but I hope this is of some use. I'm sorry if I came off too strong in some places. I would rate the monsters, but I don't know their names, so I can't really rate something I haven't seen.

Please note that I am willing to help you with anything should you need it.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Monster Names when summoning are :

ZegVok (Recomend)
ZegGhost
Scourge
DotDScourge (Reccomend)
Aludac
Aludac2
Rogor
UberManc
Alphasoulcrazy
Firedrake

These are just a few of the main ones I am quite happy with

Weapons :

When I made some of these, I considered Multiplayer aswell

The "StinkBombRifle" unfortunately isn't really working as I had planned, I originally wanted it to spawn a little toxin cloud upon contact with something, sort of like a way to help flag carriers when their being pursued, aka, they could run backwards and fire off a couple of shots that would stay on the ground and hurt their pursuers, and even kill the weaker ones.

The "NailGun" is actually my flak cannon, once I added a Melee state to its projectile, it stopped acting like an actual projectile :( Oh, and That was originally meant to be a form of rustic Elephant rifle, I modified the graphics of the Blackpowder rifle from big game hunter, not what I would call a triumph . . . I enjoy the coding over the graphical and sound works

Once I get my whole PNG ineptness behind me, Alot of the weapons will be using their actual colors, as I saved most of them as PSDs before converting them to the Doom pallette.

The Spiral Gun of Death is actually just a test weapon, but since it works so well, I might as well keep it. Again, the PSD of it looks MUCH better . . .

The Scuba Steve Unmaker is actually broken, I meant for the projectiles to last Alot longer than they do, but A_Countdown didn't work the way I expected to, and the length of code I had for the projectiles before was just rediculous, I might switch to A_FadeOut instead, but if you've ever played NoX, you'de get a good understanding of how the primary fire is meant to work, I modeled it after the Force of Nature spell.

The Secondary Fire on the Wind Gaunlets are meant to bounce projectiles back, as well as damage enemies, but for some reason, after it hits an enemy, the tornado subsides, and the Primary Fire stops projectiles as well as rips through enemies, I would consider it essential if you actually want to fight and win against one of the boss monsters without god mode

The Rapid Fire Crossbow is the ChuKoNu, well, based off of it, it was the Manchurian repeating crossbow, the bolts are weaker and dont go as far, but since the wad is 6 and a half megs, I figure I should reuse whenever I can in regards to sounds

The Mace is meant to spawn a small explosion not harmful to the player when it connects with something, I forget why it doesnt work, but either way, I've been thinking about ditching it.

The Alpha Doom Rifle sound doesnt cut out for me, Ill admit the sound sucks, but I wanted something slightly manlier than the Thompson or Punchgun sounds

The Black thing is my Heavy EMG, based off of the EMGs from Total Annihilation (If anyones played it), its meant to be a more powerful and viscious version of the PlasmaRifle

The SuperSutogun is kindof like the UT Minigun, in the sense that the different firing modes vary in speed vs accuracy

The Quake Nailgun is my Ultimatum, It fire an Uber SSG SHot, a Ripping SLug, and "StinkBomb" bullets that vary in gas colors

The Doom Beta Machinegun is my attempt at doing something similar to that quad handgun in the Doom Weapons resource wad, in the sense that you have to use the alternate fire to reload it, but For the life of me, I cant get the reloading shenanagins to work :(

The spheres are my mines, yes the graphics are Cop outs, but Im more into the coding end than the graphics end, one is a normal explosive mine, one is slightly stealthy, and one spews out clouds of toxic gas

The Shotgun rod (Grey Shotguns) are actually 2 different guns, I wanted to (With the help of ACS) ,ake a level of "Kill the Rabbit", were everyone starts out with just the chicken beaks, in a level with a bunch of cover and jumping stuff, and there is the M.A.D. Shotgun in the middle, which is the secondary version of the Shotgun Rod, with endows super speed, and hurts the shooter every time they fire. After they would die, the gun would drop.

The "Throw Gun" is sort of a "Tribute" to my favorite form of fighting in ZDaemon, aka, getting up close with the SSG, and hoping I fire first

The N64 Unmaker is my Demonic Nuke, it needs more work, and the Radius_Quake command doesnt work for some odd reason, I've also noticed, that if the player takes more than 400 points of damage in one "tic", God Mode wont save them, and the nuke is the only "Sane" way of killing ZegVok :D

Your post was exactly what I wanted, constructive criticism with your own opinions, Ill probably work on the Nuke some more for now, and Ill try to finish some more of this, as for the sounds . . . augh, I really dont want to do them, so this will probably remain in unfinished beta form.

Anyway, thanks!
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'm glad that helped you. I was worried it came off as rather whiney in places.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Alright, I made a little progress, ie made the Nukebomb prettier, and removed the useless SuperNukebomb and Nukebomb2 code
Attachments
Think sparks and stuff . . . all the time
Think sparks and stuff . . . all the time
NewNuke.jpg (95.06 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Awesome! I have to say that this mod has inspired me quite a bit.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Anyone use any of the monsters?
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Either way, its back on hiatus due to A) Funduke submitted LittleWhiteMouse's Hellspawn Mod, which is choked full of excellent graphics that fit perfectly with my other project.

B) I remember reading awhile ago that the Weapons Resource wad was Desperate or something for more weapons, so I've made 2 weapons for it, but Im just not sure exactly how I should go about releasing them, as the Thread on the ZDoom forums has turned into worthless drivel . . .
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Alright, seeing how as the whole Armory forum has been completely silent, I might as well show some screens of my latest 3 weapons that I wanted to submit to the now seemingly defunct Weapons Resource Wad

The Deathwatch Missile Delivery System. Yes I know everyone has seen those gun graphics, but it seems to fit perfectly with a weapon that fires 14 of the swirling mini missiles in a single Salvo. Alt Fire fires 14 weaving missiles that explode shortly after launch, and fire a spread of even smaller rockets in a fanning out pattern in whatever direction they were going (Slight Problems with that one and shooting up and down)

The Punisher Cannon. Graphics from Paul. This is based heavily off of the awesome plasma battery turrets from Total Annihilation that lob powerful shells at foes from a long range, and Primary fire does just that, with a slight aiming problem. Alt Fire does the same, but with much weaker and more inaccurate shots at a faster firing rate (Although I might just swap it with a Bertha-Cannonesque long range power-shot)

Known for now as the HandFF (ForceField), idea from Stargate SG1's Goa'uld hand devices with the Personal Force Fields. I had the idea on how to impliment something like this for awhile, but when I saw SolarSnowfall's ArchHeinous I basically took the properties of the shield actor and ported it over. When the "Weapon" isn't in use it is generating ammo for itself. Primary fire is a personal Force Field, Alt fire throws an orb that turns into a health and HandFF ammo fountain for a bit.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Wow, that all looks pretty cool! The HandFF looks especially interesting. Reminds me of a weapon I made in EDGE a while back, but it fired off weak, inaccurate bolts of energy as its secondary fire.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Hand FF Alernate Fire Changed to a weaving "Snakelike" energy bolt that acts as a ripper projectile, and leaves behind a ripper trail, just need some electricity sounds, some voices or something like that, and some pickup sprite work . . . and a real name.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Alright, I've been working on a new weapon that fires a bolt of energy that then arks projectiles at closer enemies upon death, it also shoots a Giant bloody ground-ripping skull thing at enemies for its secondary fire. I've gotten the base down, I just need to fix the ark limit, and the whole size issue with the deathskull thing.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Alright, I've run across a problem, I've got this nice little gun, and it works as coded except when I go to actually select it normally, I have to use the Give Sigecannon command in the console

actor SiegeCannon : Weapon 10011
{
Obituary "%k 'Gracefully' blew away %o."
Inventory.Pickupmessage "Infantry Siege Cannon."
Weapon.SelectionOrder 57
Scale 0.175
+Dontbob
States
{
Spawn:
MRTR E 1
Loop
Ready:
MRTR A 1 A_WeaponReady
Loop
Select:
MRTR A 1 A_Raise
Loop
Deselect:
MRTR A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Fire:
MRTR B 4
MRTR C 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("APShell", 0, 0, -10, 4)
MRTR D 2
MRTR CB 3
MRTR A 6
Goto Ready
AltFire:
MRTR B 4
MRTR C 2 Bright A_FireCustomMissile("AIShell", 0, 0, -10, 4)
MRTR D 2
MRTR CB 3
MRTR A 6
Goto Ready
}
}

The Keyconf lump =

addslotdefault 8 SiegeCannon

Return to “Development Journals”