Deathsong's Forge

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

He's probably talking about the "coolies". That's a racial slur for a chinese person, IIRC.
DuduKrazy

Post by DuduKrazy »

i didn't know that. i played the game a million times. the only chinese thing i have seen was the hat.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Well, racist is a bit too strong of a term. But Lo Wang is chinese guy living in Japan. Why does he speak broken, accented english? Sure, the game has some parody value, but that pretty much runs out in the first episode. By the time you've even started "Code of Honor," you've heard all the decent jokes in the game. At that point, it stops being funny and starts being a little offensive. Maybe I just hate Lo Wang. He's a stereotype, and an uninteresting one at that. One can hardly expect an old shooter to have a good story or characters, but Wang just strikes me as a new low.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

- The name "Lo Wang" doesn't really mean anything, it's just supposed to be a penis joke.
- Wang himself can't seem to decide if he's Chinese or Japanese. He uses shuriken and refers to himself as a ninja - both Japanese.
- References to anime - again, Japanese, not Chinese.
- Ignorance: there is a gravestone for Jackie Chan, to which Wang remarks, "This no movie, Mr. Chan." Chan does his own stunts and thus would entirely expect an injury like slipping in the shower.
- Wang's voice is that of an American attempting to be Chinese. And not doing a terribly good job of it, either.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Thanks backing me on this one, WW.

Anyway, I'm sorry to announce this, but the rest of my team finally noticed I was goofing around, so I'm not working on SFTS for now. I'll see if I can get you the weapons from the big project to test or something.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Huzzah!
Fooled 'em again. Fed them a six page abstract and my team thinks I'm working hard, but in reality it's back to something more fun!
Okay, couple questions about Soldier from the Surface.
First, would you guys mind if I altered the upgrade system a little? I'm thinking of using the secondary fire as an "upgrade button" that converts raw XP into XP for the current weapon. In Cave Story, XP goes into your current weapon when you get it, but this allows for a little strategy.
Second, I'm having some graphical issues. Does anyone know where I can get some centered graphics? I've already used the ones included in the Paul collection, and I still lack graphics for the Spur, the Nemesis, and the Blade, though I intend to simply leave the blade "without graphics" as it was in cave story.
Thanks for your help.[/list]
Paul

Post by Paul »

Regarding the Shadow Warrior discussion,
Lo Wang is most likely one of the most retarded heroes ever to battle evil unleashed in any form. His jokes are funny only because of their over-the-top stupidity, and its true the registered part of the game features much less funny stuff (maybe aside the sumo's death sequence heh). The uncessary gore (especially the ninja-harakiri and their vine bleeding) tries being funny but fails miserably. The sweet talk to all anime girls done by Wang is so pathetic it makes me want to quit the game on spot (one of the reasons I never touched those girls in the game because I didn't want the main character, whom I become in the game, to make such an idiot of himself as he does). The game's balance (especially the weapons) is pretty quirky (albeit the speed of the action is considerable).

Good levels (especially the airport, ship, sky palace and ofcourse the final one), decent graphics, stupid hero. I just wish there was an option to shut him up (disable Wang talk) so this game could be at least half-enjoyable as it should be. Take note story designers. Gore and retardness are NOT funny.

In other words
Doom marine pwns Wang any day.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

That's like music in my ears. Let's write a song about it xD
I never really liked the Duke-Engine much, it's so quirky and undoomish, I would rather play DooM than Duke Nukem or other crap by 3DRealms. I downloaded the Shareware, but it is just a stupid joke-game or whatever. BTW since when can you kill your self by punching against a wall :?: :?:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Punch a wall hard enough and it really hurts...
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Punch a wall and it won't kill you...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Frankly, I liked how punching a wall did damage. It's just a game anyway, so it doesn't have to be realistic. :p
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Okay, now that's true again, I don't really like games aiming for realism, the gameplay is missing on realism a bit I think (just having the human weapons *yawn*). But you're right, it's just a silly game by 3DRealms =D
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I'm with Paul. Except that every anime girl I met I right clicked on until she killed Wang. It dissolved a lot of my frustration with the character. The railgun is actually pretty cool looking. I wonder which came out first, this, or quake?
As for the comments regarding the Build engine, yeah, the Doom engine is smoother. But Blood is more fun any day than vanilla Doom. (Of course, with the GZDoom engine, Doom is much more playable than Blood ever is.)

UPDATE: In case you care, my attempt at making weapon damage crashes GZDoom, so I'm not sure what to do.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Makes me wish the company who made Blood would've released the source code for it. :(
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

i know right, blood was by far the best build game, and that character was great. Good old Caleb, and he was pretty funny to, to bad blood 2 was so bad and unstable.

Return to “Development Journals”