Deathsong's Forge

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Um, how do I download from the momoshare site? I click continue, and it seems to bring me to the home page. :(
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

@Snarboo: Sure, go ahead.

@Chrono: Drat! Monoshare is borked. I'll kepp looking.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Wait, no. Appearantly all I had to do was scroll down after i've clicked continue. :P
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'm still working on the shotgun, but I decided to spruce up the pistol and grenade launcher, too! The pistol now has a wooden grip added to it, along with some other minor modifications and a trigger finger. The pickup has now been modified to suit. For the grenade launcher, I've made two intermediary frames before it reloads or recoils. Hard to describe, but you'll know what I mean when you see it. Enjoy!
Attachments
GRENPIST.zip
(43.98 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Alright. Snarboo, I've implemented your new frames, and the GL in particular looks much better. I hate to bother you any further, but could you put the shotgun on hold for a while and do something with the Sigil? I don't want anything specific, but I feel that the weapon is a little uninteresting and could use some new frames. In other news, I'm done with all the non-boss monsters. Before I release the next version, I'd like to redo the Sigil, polish off the Bosses, and implement weapon upgrades.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'll see what I can do! The Sigil is going to be very hard to do, as it's a complex weapon, so it might take a while. An idea I have is to have the Sigil "form" the first time you get a new piece of it. I'm not sure I can make the firing frames any more interesting.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Wow! That "forming" thing would be awsome! I think the firing frames are some of Strife's best frames, so no worries there.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Keep in mind the animation won't be uber amazing, heh. I have to take the thing apart first, then redraw the missing parts and then have them come together, but it should look way more interesting. :)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

A question: Do you want the Sigil to form piece by piece, all at once, or only when you pick up a new piece? I could mix any of the above animations for different things, too. Perhaps the Sigil forms piece by piece or all at once when you select it, and when you pick up a new piece it attaches to the rest of the weapon. Or maybe the Sigil only forms together right before firing, so it looks like the pieces are hovering near each other while idle? Whatever you want is fine by me!

Edit: I've been playing Strife with the current released version of HAE, and I have to say it makes the game feel more complete. The shotgun and pistol are perfect compliments to the arsenal. The shotgun is a great medium powered weapon for taking out the weak to medium strength enemies, such as the Acolytes and some of the robots, and the pistol is a great starting weapon that goes well with the crossbow before you get the assault rifle. Its accuracy is still useful later into the game, too.

I don't know if I'm going to make pumping frames for the shotgun. I like how it's semi-automic, as that's not something you see very often. I probably will spice up the graphics by making the grip look wooden, so it follows a theme the other weapons have. If you would like it to have pumping frames, that's cool, though!

I also have some suggestions for how to balance the game further. You don't have to use them, though. I don't want to intrude on your mod.

It really irks me that the poison arrows are so strong. They make the game very unbalanced. My suggestion for them is to keep them silent, so you can still attack enemies without raising the alarm, but make it so that the impact does little damage. The damage for the weapon will come from the poison, which is slow acting and kills an enemy given time, so they can still attack you if you aren't careful. This way, you can handle single targets, and just avoid them until they die. If the poison doesn't kill them, you can finish them off with another arrow.

The shotgun graphics need to be moved just a little over to the right, as you can see the "end" of the graphic as your view sways, heh. I noticed you made the barrels drop shotgun shells, but because the barrel drops them, they only give you half the ammo on pickup. For instance, the four shells only seem to give you two. I'm not sure if you mean to correct that or not. This is a quirk in Doom engine games. The shotgun's power could be improved just a little, too. Not too much though. Somewhere around 6-8 points or so, maybe less.

The crossbow needs to be fixed so that when you switch to poison arrows, but don't have any electric arrows, you can still fire the weapon. As it stands, you cannot fire any arrow type unless you have electric arrows.

I think that's it, heh, but if I have anything else to add, I'll post it here.
Last edited by Snarboo on Fri Feb 03, 2006 13:01, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Alter »

What abou sigil part collecting

weaponpiece.number
integer (1-32)
The piece number.
weaponpiece.weapon
actor name
The weapon all pieces assemble.

this can be use also you must use
weapon.sisterweapon
actor name
Defined weapon is given when flagged weapon is picked up. Used primarily for Tome Of Power attacks. all infos from wiki i used weapon.sisterweapon to create revolver and double revolver which is upgrade to revolver
Loki

Post by Loki »

Oy, Deathsong, I can host the latest version on my Filecloud account, but you'll need a free account to download it. If you don't feel like signing up, try BugMeNot. I've turned my showmail flag on for that purpose. Oh, and you need to tune down the SigilE secondary; I have a GeForce 7800GTX and an AMD X2, and it still drops GZDoom's framerate to about 3fps for a couple of seconds.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

@Snarboo: Do what you can with the Sigil, all I was really hoping for was an animation for each peice being added, so I could integrate the whole thing into one weapon. It would also be nice to see each peice have it's "missing bits" filled in, so that the peices could be aquired in any order (We'll assume that if the player dosen't have the grip, his other peices simply float in front of his hand), which means that my maps can be very nonlinear, as Strife should be. I'm glad the game feels more "Complete," as that is exactly what I had in mind. Strife always gave me the feeling it was much more complex and interesting in concept, and was rushed through development. I'm worried, however, that the monster alterations will make the game too hard, so I'll keep tweaking it. I'm going through and adding upgradeablility to all the weapons, and possibly reloading as well, so I'll fix the weapon bugs then. Keep playing with it, and let me know if you find any more. As for the posion crossbow, I'll look into Hexen's posion projectiles and see If I can't implement that lingering damage.

@Loki: Good to see you! I'll look at Filecloud. The Sigil E is a known pain in the ass. I'm redoing all the Sigil firemodes, and I'll tone down the particle effects on that one. I'm trying to get it to look like the picture you see in Macil's second slideshow, with the Strifeguy taking out that castle in one shot. Speaking of Strifeguy, I'm gonna hunt down and edit some sprites so he looks like the fellow we see in the slideshows, not some beefed-up rebel.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'm currently working on the Sigil as we speak. I'm way ahead of you on the seperate pieces thing, as I've I was able to seperate the first and second piece into two seperate parts. I'm working on the the third and fourth pieces, which are pretty much symmetrical, and then the tip. When I upload my work here, I'll include my animations and each seperately.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Here it is, the Sigil of the One God! All five seperate pieces along with different animations of the Sigil coming together, piece by piece. Enjoy!

Edit: I just completed Strife with the latest released beta, and I must say I'm truly impressed with the final stage of the Sigil. It truly deserves the monikers "ultimate" and "intelligent" weapon. The only problem is that it made the fight with the Entity a piece of cake, but I don't remember that battle every being very hard in the first place. I'm sure you'll tweak the final boss to suit with the rest of your changes, though. Just tone the secondary fire's particle storm, and it will be perfect!
Attachments
SIGIL.zip
(206.63 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

My comments:

The new enemies make the game much tougher, especially the start against the hand cannonades and the mini-missile guy.

I found the hand cannon to fire too slowly for my liking As a result I never used it.

The Assault Rifle feels recoilless, making it not too much to use.

The shotgun fires too few pellets for a shotgun. Having looked at the DECORATE, I think it's a bit daft that buckshot is more powerful than AR bullets. A better spread with the same damage would be 8 pellets doing 3 damage instead of 4 pellets doing 6. Also, it needs to look older to generally suit the rest of the guns, as Snarboo says.

The throwing of parts from the missiles is a nice, though odd, and the impact damage is a bit big. Apart from that, it's good.

The Grenade Launcher also strikes me as a bit odd, "reloading" and recoiless. It's a large weapon so surely it would produce a large force on firing. Also, Phosphorus Grenades + Water == CPU rape.

The flamethrower still has that crappy idle sound. Apart from that, everything is fine on this front.

The maulers primary fire sound isn't what I would expect from it. My autoloaded sound pack used the Neutron Disruptor sound from Batteries Not Included, which works very well with it.

The sigil is great except for when my PC crawls to a halt with all the sparky stuff.

Return to “Development Journals”