Deathsong's Forge

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Deathsong12

Deathsong's Forge

Post by Deathsong12 »

The project will consist of four phases, with a release at the end of each phase, as a seperate wad. An all in one wad will be included with the last release. All phases will require GZDoom, but I may release a little ZDoom compatible asthetics enhancement.

Phase One: Weapons
My objective here is to utilize the features, in particular altfires, made available by decorate. I'll try to make the weapons more versitle, but keep their power around the same. In addition, a pistol and a shotgun will be added to fill holes in the weapon lineup. (These weapons will be available from certian monsters.) Alas, due to the strifeguy hand issues, reloading will be absent.
Spoiler: Weapons Changelist
Phase Two: Monsters
Overall, the Strife monsters were unsatisfying and felt unreasonably stupid and weak to me. The lineup also lacked variety, pitting you against too many acolytes. I'll try to correct these problems, and in general make the creatures more challanging. Almost everyone will have their chance of attacking increased, as taking three shots and then wandering aimlessly while getting mowed down works for zombies, but not trained soldiers and cyborgs.
Spoiler: Monsters Changelist
Phase Three: Asthetics
With this phase, I'm just altering some of the resources to make the game more neat and immersive.
Spoiler: Asthetics Changelist
Phase Four: Between Heaven and Earth
Now that the game has some new toys, I'll provide some new maps as well. They'll be a new episode, complete with Dailouge scricpts and a storyline. I'll also include some simple DM maps in a third episode, becuase the game really needs them.
Last edited by Deathsong12 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 19:34, edited 9 times in total.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Yes please ax the list down a little. I like the list of weapons ideas but keep in mind that too many weapons can unbalance the game real easy. Good luck on the mod though.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Old Post.
Last edited by Deathsong12 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:59, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I'd recommend either outsourcing a few weapons to the 9 and 0 keys, or scrapping a few of them - more than two weapons on the same key can tend to make things a bit more difficult than it should be.

It also sounds like you have a few "Me Too" weapons in that list - the Grenade Launcher and the Howitzer, the two Assault Rifles, the two Missile Launchers. One or the other. Don't overcomplicate things.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Also scrap the akimbo crap. Sorry to say but the reason why so many DooM mods do not go akimbo is because it is a waste of ammo. Think about, if you kill someone with the right hand pistol or shotgun then the left hand attack wastes a round. Plus you will save alot of space both code and graphics wise. It is better to not fill up your wad with a ton of akimbo based frames since that just bloats it size wise.

Edit: Just so ya know I have nothing against akimbo weapons. It's just that Decorate and Edge can not handle them properly unlike the more modern games.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Old Post.
Last edited by Deathsong12 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00, edited 1 time in total.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Reconsidered the whole weapon lineup and made a lot of changes, which will be announced when I have a demo version to release.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

:D Sounds good.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Terminal laziness and seeing the Pope aside, I am back on this project. I am currently working on phase 1, the weapons. I don't intened to create whole new weapons so much as jazz up the existing Strife lineup. I'll also be filling in some holes with a heavily modifed version of WW's pistol, and a shotgun of my own devising.

PROGRESS: Made sprites for the fist/punch dagger, and the kick. Got all the needed Kanji for the weapon/health/armor icons.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Woo! You saw the pope?

Does he really look like emperor palpatine? :P
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

@Chrono: Yup. Got blessed, as well. Benedict does kinda look like Palpatine now that I think about it.

UPDATE: Thanks to Scuba, I have pistol sprites, and thanks to Chrono, I have Shotty sprites as well. I hate the Assault Gun's sprites, and I am condsidering changing to a different sprite set for that weapon.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Soultaker wrote: Just so ya know I have nothing against akimbo weapons. It's just that Decorate and Edge can not handle them properly unlike the more modern games.
*eckurgh*

For EDGE, use NOFIRE_RETURN and use A_JumpIfInventory with a dummy item in ZDoom.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

IMO, the only weapon tune-up that Strife needs is to have the Doom single shotgun. Something that filled that niche was always woefully missing from Strife IMO. Just adding a dozen or so weapons does not improve the game IMO. I doubt that this project will increase the popularity of Strife and it will just become a mini-WRW for a game few people play.

Strife does need some quality mods for it but I think it needs some good, solid levels and funstuff to play - taking advantage of the existing mood, style and gameplay. It does not need something that is little more than something of novelty value - which unfortunately is what this project sounds like it might be.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Alright. I've updated the first post to reflect the atcual plan for this project. I'm sorry about the missing monster changelist, I'll write it as soon as I get time, but please give me your opinions and ideas on the Asthetics and Weapons. Thanks for all your support.
Spray

Post by Spray »

Sounds pretty cool, I like how you're making the pistol and assault gun more powerful as accuracy improves. Will electric bolts do more damage/work better against robotic enemies?

Return to “Development Journals”