Deathsong's Forge

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Sorry for the wait between updates. I've finished the upgradeable weapons and made some graphics changes. I'm trying to get everything to be centered, and to remove some of the worst of Strife's weapon graphics (the Minimissile and Flamethrower). I'm considering replacing the flamethrower with a "Mult-Function Energy Weapon" that would encompass the roles of the original flamer, a Doom-style plasma weapon, and a railgun. Thank's to that Psi-Amp graphic, I've also got the new healing system in testing phases. Next version should be out sometime next week. After that version, I'll be ready for my ZDForums release.

EDIT: Strike that. I'm going to angle as many of the weapons as will look good angled.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Whoah. Sorry for the space-out. Work and school got in the way. How do these idiots expect me to write dialouge for bad games AND do Pre-Calc? Anyway. I am giving myself 24 hours to finish my first releasable monster mod, Infection. Inspired by Duke3d and Aliens, it should be pretty cool and massively alter the whole game dynamic. Tune in at 6:15 AM (Pacific Time) tomorrow (hopefully sooner) and get your copy. Or mock me in my failure.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Will there be new weapons, or will the new monsters change the gameplay enough that the vanilla weapons feel new again?
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Okay, Okay. It looks like it's been split into several wads. The first wad to come out DS-Oni will be the monster mod "companion" to DuduCrazy's Guns special edition. As it stands, I also have improved versions of the standard baddies and a "comapnion" to WW-Stranger in the pipe.
FANG2

Post by FANG2 »

Is HAE still being finished?
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Your concern is touching, but you just bumped a two-month-old thread owned by a guy that I haven't seen around here in about that long. I'd say the chances of getting a reply are slim.
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

Deathsong hasn't been anywhere in awhile...not even at ZDForums.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

What do you guys think of a fairly direct adaptation of the weapons in Cave Story? I'm waiting for something, and I need something to do to keep my DECORATE skills sharp.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Holy crap, YOU'RE ALIVE?!

Yeah, a Cave Story adaptation would be really neat, so long as every weapon is accounted for (and that includes the Bubbler, though you might have some problems with that). Also, machine-gun hovering.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Yeah, I'm alive. I've become a C++ programmer, graduated high school, matured immensely as a person, and am now on my way to becoming a real game designer. My professor, who has experience in the game industry, said I should develop a portfolio project to show off my skills as a designer. The games I had been working on wouldn't cut it (they were casual games, not at all the kind of thing I needed to wow people) so I instantly thought of GZDoom for my engine. I've assembled a (crappy) team, but maybe with KDiZD done I can lure some better qualified folks onto the team with a teaser. But that is neither here nor then.

As I wait for the character art for that project to get done, I wanted to brush up, so I thought of the Cave Story idea. The Bubbler will indeed be hard. I'm thinking dummy projectiles that constantly check the player's inventory. I might be able to do Machine Gun hovering with kickback or something like that. More details to follow.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Oh wow, glad to see you've returned, I've been wondering what happened to you, gonna come back on the ZDF as well? :P
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I'll return to the ZDF once the teaser for my portfolio project is done, so I don't look completely stupid. I've always liked you guys better, anyway.

UPDATE ON CAVE STORY MOD:
We now have a name: "Soldier from the Surface."
I also have graphics for everything. I'm glad I'm doing this project, because it gives me a chance to use some weapon graphics I couldn't use on my other project. I was very unsure of what to do for weapon graphics. Part of me wanted to just use the weapon select graphics from Cave Story and then have the projectiles emit from the player without any visible weapon graphics, but ultimately I decided that the big NMN pack that was released recently (before he came back, I suppose) was too tempting.

One question: I'm using the sword graphics from Shadow Warrior for the Blade. Are these graphics completely overused? I try to avoid using anything you can get in the Shadow Warrior shareware.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, if you can do something about the god-awful ugly Shadow Warrior hands, and also get rid of the serrated edge, it'll be much better. I don't much like the Shadow Warrior graphics.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Okay. I had already planned to get rid of the hands. I suppose I can work on the edge as well. I don't think Shadow Warrior is that bad, personally, assuming you can get over the fact that Lo Wang wears those hideous bracer things. Also, he's the worst first-person shooter character I've ever seen (At least Duke Nukem is just stupid, as opposed to stupid and racist), but that's completely irrelevant.
DuduKrazy

Post by DuduKrazy »

what do you mean with "racist"?

Return to “Development Journals”