ScriptedEffect experimental builds

Discussion about the experimental SVN builds

Moderators: Enjay, Dev Builds Team

Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: ScriptedEffect experimental builds

Post by Gez »

I can always add a BUMPEDSPECIAL flag which has the bumped object as the activator of the script. It's like ten seconds of work and there's still plenty of space in flags6! :P
baghead
Hosted

Post by baghead »

Gez wrote:I can always add a BUMPEDSPECIAL flag which has the bumped object as the activator of the script. It's like ten seconds of work and there's still plenty of space in flags6! :P
If you could make that flag have the bumped thing set its target to the bumper before it does the special, I think this would be immensely useful in combination with ActivateTarget.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Would this be to your liking?

Code: Select all

// Check for actors touching a thing with MF6_BUMP*ED*SPECIAL
	// Differences with the previous include not caring about whether the bumper is a player,
	// the bumpee being the activator of the special, and a target switching system as the
	// bumpee changes its target to the bumper.
	else if ((thing->flags6 & MF6_BUMPEDSPECIAL) && thing->special)

Or maybe a different system with other flags which affect the behavior of BUMPSPECIAL. For instance
  • BUMPEDACTIVATOR, if set, has the bumped actor as the activator, otherwise it's the bumper
  • BUMPTARGETSWITCH, if set, makes the activator changes its target to the other (is it okay to change a player's target? waiting for Graf's input on that one)
  • BUMPANYTHING, if set, let actors other than player trigger the BUMPSPECIAL logic
That gives a total of four flags, which can be combined together in many different ways.
baghead
Hosted

Post by baghead »

Looks pretty fucking sweet to me =)

Hey, if you do it that way, how much trouble would it be to add USEDACTIVATOR and USEDTARGETSWITCH while you're at it?

re: is it ok: if not, it could just be inactive if BUMPACTIVATOR is not present. The player's target seems totally arbitrary to me, I don't really get what it's for but I'm sure you guys know more about that than I do.

edit - dumb ass typo
Last edited by baghead on Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:Would this be to your liking?

// Check for actors touching a thing with MF6_BUMP*ED*SPECIAL
	// Differences with the previous include not caring about whether the bumper is a player,
	// the bumpee being the activator of the special, and a target switching system as the
	// bumpee changes its target to the bumper.
	else if ((thing->flags6 & MF6_BUMPEDSPECIAL) && thing->special)

Or maybe a different system with other flags which affect the behavior of BUMPSPECIAL. For instance
  • BUMPEDACTIVATOR, if set, has the bumped actor as the activator, otherwise it's the bumper
  • BUMPTARGETSWITCH, if set, makes the activator changes its target to the other (is it okay to change a player's target? waiting for Graf's input on that one)
  • BUMPANYTHING, if set, let actors other than player trigger the BUMPSPECIAL logic
That gives a total of four flags, which can be combined together in many different ways.

Too many flags if you ask me. Even if you did them they should also work with USESPECIAL then. Better invent a new property instead of using multiple flags.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Still it's an innately bitfieldesque thing.

So, baghead, you'll find a bumpextended patch on the archive -- I didn't bother uploading a build since you use Linux. Actors now have a new property, activation, which takes a string. I wanted to make it an int, but unfortunately my tests told me that the thingdef property parser rejected constants and expressions used in properties. So I made it a string. That string is checked for keywords, so it's a sort of flag system.
Keywords include:
  • ThingActs -- the thing is the source of the activation
  • ThingTargets -- the thing targets the trigger
  • TriggerTargets -- the trigger targets the thing
  • MonsterTrigger -- monsters (as defined by the MONSTER flag) are allowed to be triggers
  • MissileTrigger -- missiles (as defined by the MISSILE flag) are allowed to be triggers
You can use several of those keywords in your string. E.g.:

Actor Test
{
     activation "+ThingActs +ThingTargets +TriggerTargets +MonsterTrigger +MissileTrigger and what's the point of this 'cuz I don't even have a BLAHSPECIAL flag anyway"
}
And if you make an actor that inherits from another, you can prefix a keyword with a minus sign, i.e. -ThingActs, to clear that flag.

Both BUMPSPECIAL and USESPECIAL are affected, however I didn't extend USESPECIAL to bother with non-player triggers, since as far as I know only players can call P_UseTraverse(), which is where the USESPECIAL checks are done.

If you could test it and tell me if whether it works great or break stuff, I'd appreciate it. The string-with-keyword thing is a bit hacky, but at least it works, so it gives you a way to test the important parts -- I'm more concerned by the changes to the game logic in p_map.cpp.
baghead
Hosted

Post by baghead »

This looks great, I'll take a look at it right now =)

Edit - This patch doesn't want to be applied for some reason; tried adjusting fuzz factor, ignoring whitespace, etc., nothing worked (not sure why, it looks fine to me) =/ Anyway, I applied it by hand, compiled it, left, and came back to find it compiled ok. I did a little testing in zokoban, everything I've tested so far seems to work but I still need to test some more. Thanks, Gez, this is great stuff!
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

baghead wrote:Anyway, I applied it by hand, compiled it, left, and came back to find it compiled ok. I did a little testing in zokoban, everything I've tested so far seems to work but I still need to test some more. Thanks, Gez, this is great stuff!
Cool. Let me know if you find any problem.

Return to “Experimental Builds”