News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Well, disabling dynamic lights makes a difference to the numbers, but no practical difference from a playing point of view. Both of the attached shots are from the start map.

Also, I just noticed, if I start GZdoom and phobia, then do nothing - ie I just leave it sitting at the title screen - after about 10-12 seconds the game drops to the console and this is printed after the usual startup info:

Code: Select all

+MAP01 - entryway

Sidedef 75 (linedef 46) incomplete (Length = 0.000000 of 2.000000)
Sidedef 8085 (linedef 4294) incomplete (Length = 0.000000 of 2.000000)
2 missing segs counted

Unknown net command: 30

Oh, and seeing as how there is no mention of it in the changelog, I assume you know the floor warping shader problem still exists.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The strange behavior comes from the included demo. Appearently enough of it is being read to fool the engine to believe it is valid.

As for the frame rate you experience, could you post screenshots with the result of typing 'stat renderstats' and 'stat rendertimes'? I can run this map with decent frame rates.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

With dynamic lights
Without dynamic lights
With dynamic lights
Without dynamic lights

I can warp to, and play, any map other than map01 at perfectly acceptable frame rates with or without dynamic lights on. It's just map01 that causes this massive slowdown.

Hmmm, I just noticed that some of the information has fallen off the side of the screen in the second pair of shots. Do you need that info and if so, what do I need to do to show it? (Higher resolution presumably?)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

One thing is certain: The slowdown is not caused by the renderer. Even the 105 with lights on are 9-10 fps. It must come from somewhere else.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That map ran fine on mine (didn't have the lights wad loaded), however I couldn't work it out at all. I gave up on it in the end. I got so far then there was nothing that could be done, plus some of the scripting and stuff didn't seem to work out like it should.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:One thing is certain: The slowdown is not caused by the renderer. Even the 105 with lights on are 9-10 fps. It must come from somewhere else.
If I clear the fragglescripts from the level, and then noclip to the place where the teleport normally takes you (which is where the slowdown becomes incredibly obvious) the fps rate is acceptable. So, something in the script, or initiated by the script, seems to be the problem.
ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by ellmo »

BetaSword wrote:Holy Jebus. That map runs at about 1 fps.

Iono, maybe it's my graphics card (Radeon X700), but that just seems... Wow.
It's not. I have Radeon x700 too. Runs fast for me. But I haven't tried with lots of monsters.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

It runs fine on my system (Athlon 3000+, NVidea GeForce 6600, 1GB RAM) with no lights, but the problems that have been mentioned in several places make playing it through impossible after getting the BFG (nothing happens except for the borked warp in sequence).
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Phobia is definitely unplayable with 1.0.04 due to various incompatiblities between the Eternity FS and Legacy FS and also due to different inventory handling in (G)ZDoom. I fixed a lot of small issues today that added up to a serious problem.

Interesting that this WAD also caused several bugs to show up that had nothing to do with FS/Legacy at all. I'll upload a new version as soon as possible - but I still haven't found the time to play Phobia myself.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Hehe. Someone should make a version of Phobia that uses ACS instead of FS.

Where's Kristus at? :P

Return to “News”