[added][Feature Request] Some 3D floor stuff

Moderator: Graf Zahl

BetaSword

[added][Feature Request] Some 3D floor stuff

Post by BetaSword »

Well, I just did a little test, and I noticed that when using an "actor hits floor" thing in the dummy sector for the 3D floors, nothing happens when the 3D floor is actually stepped on. Now, I know it's not exactly the most useful feature, but I was wondering if something could be added in to allow things like that to be transferred over to the 3D floor as well, for scripting purposes and such. Example: Actor walks on 3D floor, soon after 3D floor collapses underneath them. Or something like that.

Edit: Oh, another thing I noticed, Line Horizon doesn't affect 3D floors either. Any way of making that work, too? That'd help for making some interesting layered skies and stuff.

Both of these aren't exactly the most important things, more like little things that'd make me happy, and maybe some other people. Who knows.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: [Feature Request] Some 3D floor stuff

Post by Graf Zahl »

BetaSword wrote:Well, I just did a little test, and I noticed that when using an "actor hits floor" thing in the dummy sector for the 3D floors, nothing happens when the 3D floor is actually stepped on. Now, I know it's not exactly the most useful feature, but I was wondering if something could be added in to allow things like that to be transferred over to the 3D floor as well, for scripting purposes and such. Example: Actor walks on 3D floor, soon after 3D floor collapses underneath them. Or something like that.
You found an interesting thing here. ZDoom only triggers the sector action when the actor hits the floor of the sector where its center is. Even if you hit the edge of a dropoff the action won't be triggered. I always thought that actually hitting something you can stand on would be sufficient.
Edit: Oh, another thing I noticed, Line Horizon doesn't affect 3D floors either. Any way of making that work, too? That'd help for making some interesting layered skies and stuff.
No, it doesn't work. Line_Horizon is an awful thing to support as it is so I don't want to make it more complicated. Slopes don't work either, BTW (but they don't in ZDoom as well)
BetaSword

Re: [Feature Request] Some 3D floor stuff

Post by BetaSword »

Graf Zahl wrote:You found an interesting thing here. ZDoom only triggers the sector action when the actor hits the floor of the sector where its center is. Even if you hit the edge of a dropoff the action won't be triggered. I always thought that actually hitting something you can stand on would be sufficient.
So, does that mean that you may look into changing that, or just your own speculation about that?
Graf Zahl wrote:No, it doesn't work. Line_Horizon is an awful thing to support as it is so I don't want to make it more complicated. Slopes don't work either, BTW (but they don't in ZDoom as well)
Alright. Just wondering about that stuff. I already knew it didn't work too well for slopes, so it's alright. No problem there.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I added support to trigger actions when an actor hits a 3D floor. There are no new sector action things though. It will trigger the regular 'actor hits floor/ceiling' things which have to be placed in the control sector.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Oops. Sorry for moving this here. Can anybody please move this to the GZDoom/Closed Bugs forum?
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

I was wondering what was going on when I went to the main page and saw this:

I was like "WTF? o_O;"
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Good question. Don't post stuff in news.

Moved it to GZdoom closed bugs.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That was an accident if you had read this thread. Somehow I didn't properly select the forum to move to but after I noticed that I was unable to do anything anymore.

Isn't there a way to block moves to certain threads?
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Right, accident. Sorry for confusion :) Just for future-don't do it anyone, please.

1.Stuff in the News subforum gets printed on the front page as news so mistakes like this can create a bit of confusion.

2.I'm affraid You can't. The moderator of the news forum is the DRDTeam usergroup. You Graf don't have the mod rights there. If anything like that happens, rest assured. I visit these forums daily. A PM would be useful next time if it happens to get moved to offtopic for instance (i.e. I missed it).

Mod rights don't apply to moving threads. Best example-I moved this very thread to the GZdoom forum, whereas I have no mod rights in this subform :)
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

I think I should have put a "heh" at the beginning of my sentence in that post.

It was supposed be a "so this is why this happened" type of post, but now that I reread it, I can see how it could be taken differently.

Blah, one of those times were the differences between two different things are how you say it, which doesn't travel well over the old internet. :p

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”