Rescurrection of Evil: DEHSUPP

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
DoomerMrT

Rescurrection of Evil: DEHSUPP

Post by DoomerMrT »

Could someone put this dehsupp lump up again? It was located here, under the 'DEHSUPP 3' release. I would need full hexen and heretic support. Don't ask why do I need it, just help me please if you can. Thanks.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

For which version of ZDoom is this? Keep in mind that this lump will *NOT*(!!!) work with any post-2.0.63a version! Furthermore, DEHSUPPs for any other 2.0.x version will not work with 2.1.x/2.2.x and 2.1.x versions will not work for 2.2.x so whatever you want to do is probably going to fail.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

I am an interesting person, since I love Zdoom, GZdoom and Zdaemon too. I would need it for Zdaemon. We don't have DECORATE support there, so we are using DEHSUPP. But hey, DEHSUPP is a cool thing if you don't have DECORATE :)
Anyway, I am a lover of 3D floors and all these newschool stuff, but I am a well balanced guy at these things, so I am in peace with DEHSUPP and Zdaemon too.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZDaemon is based on a ZDoom version that's far too old for that DEHSUPP lump, so you are out of luck again. :P

I only can repeat myself: Better forget that DEHSUPP even exists!
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:I only can repeat myself: Better forget that DEHSUPP even exists!
Graf Zahl should'a wrote:Better forget that ZDaemon even exists!
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

Zdaemon supports DEHSUPP. I have at least 3 mods that using it 8) so FINALLY!!11 GrafZahl is not right :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DoomerMrT wrote:GrafZahl is not right :P
And he's not going to be happy about this sudden development. Still, though, I stand by what I (kind of) said above; why use ZDaemon at all? Skulltag supports the more recent ZDoom features.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

I like Skulltag too, but the fact is, they don't have much players playing in servers. In Zdaemon I don't have as much editing features as Skulltag does, but at least I can play ALL DAY with somebody else. Plus, if you have the proper creativity, you can make amazing things with DEHSUPP too. I've got some mods already using it, and ppl like them over the Zdaemon community. But hell, how comes that Graf hates DEHSUPP? He was the one who made it, or am I wrong? I understand it is outdated and fragile at some point, but it is yours, and actually, ppl over Zdaemon are using and liking it.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DoomerMrT wrote:I like Skulltag too, but the fact is, they don't have much players playing in servers.
That's because people like you aren't playing on the servers. If a game doesn't have a lot of people playing on it, and you want there to be people on it, it would seem obvious that the way to get more people playing is to keep playing yourself. You're not exactly helping things by abandoning what is otherwise a superior product in favor of something old, outdated, and only surviving because of the people who refuse to move on.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

BTW, you're telling me if I gonna sit in a skulltag server for hours, we get thousands of other players joining? You cannot convice other players to go to skulltag now, since everyone has his/her own reason why did he/she chose the specified port and why didn't the other one. It seems the 'outdated and crappy' Zdaemon wins this round(which is the MOST IMPORTANT, since no players=>no activity=>dead port). In other terms, skulltag is a better port, but it doesn't mean anything if rarely anyone is on.

There is surely something what keeps players playing Zdaemon, don't you think? And they don't refuse to move on, they would like to have decorate and dynamic lightning too. And they make a feature request. There is something if they don't head directly to skulltag because it has dynamic lightning and other shiny things.
Last edited by DoomerMrT on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DoomerMrT wrote:it doesn't mean anything if rarely anyone is on.
Start an initiative then, get people playing.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

You are making no sense, ignoring my other words.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

What I'm trying - and evidently FAILING - to tell you is, how is the problem of Skulltag not having any players ever going to be fixed if everybody continues to just stick with ZDaemon? Why use DEHSUPP and limit yourself when you can use DECORATE, have all this new crap at your disposal to make a better mod, and ultimately actually get people playing?

[edit] And furthermore, I really don't think this belongs in Grubber's area, because he has only the smallest connection to DEHSUPP in the first place, and I'd hate to taint his pristine forum with this kind of argument.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

I don't care about better mods, my mods at Zdaemon gets enough playing, and ppl like them. For Zdaemon 1.09, we will get Zdoom 2.1.7's ACS support, so the reason to go to skulltag will be even smaller. Just because of DECORATE? We will have full DEHSUPP support, and I am completely statisfied with that. Also, I am planning to make a feature request for a lump what allows us to define blank actors and blank actor states, and then, it can be edited with dehsupp. There are certainly reasons why I chose Zdaemon for regular online playing, because actually when I play online, I would like to play with someone else, and not with just myself. I also don't want to hire players to finally able to play. Anyway Zdaemon seems more user- and OS/NS friendly for me and has more wads for online playing. Go ahead and ask some other Zdaemon guys why did they chose it.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I won't start a skulltag revolution alone. The real question is what waits for answering, why do the ppl like Zdaemon better if it's a "crap"?
I am also modding for GZDoom but NOT for Skulltag, becuase when my decorate loads up correctly in GZdoom, skulltag always has problems with it. So yeah, we could both start complaining about how crappy internet ports do we have, but unless you are coding it yourself, don't "crap" down Zdaemon. It is old indeed, but not a bad port. 1.09 will fix most of the annoying coop- and other bugs, and we will get a more flexible and enjoyable port (than skulltag)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Guess I should have locked this sooner.

Return to “Off-Topic”