Projects forum information (updated - please read!)

Talk about our & your projects.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Projects forum information (updated - please read!)

Post by Paul »

The DRD's Projects subforum is a place to post our (DRD_Team's) and everyone else's projects, be it for Doom, Zdoom, Gzdoom, Quake 3, HL2, RPG Maker, your own games, fan art, fan fiction, game concepts, ideas, your minniature lego city, basically, everything creative!

Feel free to discuss projects, ask for ideas, show off, advertise, hype projects, present opinions, give advice and so on, so everyone is happy :happy:

Here's a couple of rules to remember, though
  • Do NOT post editing questions here (post them at the Editing Help forum)
  • Do NOT bash people's work
  • Authors, do not respond negatively to criticism, crap or good. If it's bashing, we'll take care of it. You, focus on criticism.
  • To sum up above rules - show respect to others, authors and comment providers.
  • HAVE something to show/present. Don't come with a new idea for the Chuck Norris of wads. You can show off screenshots, movies, previews, demos, but also descriptions (if they are contentful), ideas, concepts, storylines, and so on (even if it's talkaboutware, game designing is still art ;) )
  • Do NOT advertise your own forum here please. (post that at the offtopic forum)
  • Feel free to setup a mod journal. For weapon modders-you can do it either here or at the Doom armory forums, it's no major difference.
  • Posting an already finished thing you want to advertise here or encourage people to test is a very good idea indeed!
  • It'd be a good idea to post screenshots of works in progress, or heck, finished works as well. If you don't know how to post screenshots, go to http://www.imageshack.us and you can upload your shots there.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Along these lines, if you are anxious for a new project to come out, please don't pester the authors about when it's going to be released. They are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, and you don't even have to pay for it.

Like all creative works, both commercial and hobbyist, it'll be released when it's ready. (TM)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Projects forum information

Post by Rachael »

This topic is being unlocked, in lieu for a new project rule:

Projects may no longer be posted on any of the "free hosts" that delete your file after x days of inactivity. It's just way too often that interest in a project dies, only for someone to stumble across your project again and discover the download links no longer work. From this point forward, people who post links to such websites may be warned, and asked to reupload to a more permanent web space.

The reason for this being unlocked is so you guys can suggest alternative hosting sources. I don't know all the good ones, but some of you folks out there might. :) If you do, please help out and introduce them here! Thank you.

Currently forbidden sites:
Speedy Share
Sendspace
ZShare
Mediafire
Filefront
Rapidshare
(more will be added to the list as more dead links are discovered)
Last edited by Rachael on Tue May 19, 2009 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: List Updated
Remmirath

Re: Projects forum information (updated - please read!)

Post by Remmirath »

Recommended site: Mediafire.
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I disagree with Mediafire, and this is the reason:

http://support.mediafire.com/index.php? ... ticleid=56

You have to log in once every 60 days or your account becomes inactive, and your files get deleted.

If you don't use an account, then your files have to at least be downloaded once every 30 days.

It's not an ideal solution. However, being that it might be the best one (at the moment), I will not immediately forbid it. But if something better comes up, it's off the list.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

ZShare deleted a whole bunch of resources that I put online via the Zdoom forum a while back.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17964

:(

I have heard people say good things about FileFront but not actually used it to host anything myself so I'm not sure about its deletion policy. There was talk of it closing down but that seems to have been averted.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Filefront has a deletion queue. It is not clear, however, how a file ends up there, after how long, or for what reason. But if a file ends up there, and you don't resolve it, it gets deleted.

I'm adding ZShare to the "bad" list. Filefront and Mediafire may both be there too.

If push comes to shove, I may end up opening kind of a file sharing service on DRD Team, however, not all files submitted would be posted, and any file that is submitted would require a text file accompanying it to describe what it is. WIP's could also be submitted, however, it would be up to the author to notify us when to delete old versions, and also depending on space constraints we might even delete old versions ourselves.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I use Box.net, I'm not sure of their deletion policy though.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Enjay wrote:ZShare deleted a whole bunch of resources that I put online via the Zdoom forum a while back.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17964

:(

I have heard people say good things about FileFront but not actually used it to host anything myself so I'm not sure about its deletion policy. There was talk of it closing down but that seems to have been averted.
Holy crap. I didn't know ZShare deletes stuff. I thought you needed a delete code or something for that. So, does that mean there's a certain time limit on how long your files stay there?
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

Yeah, there's a time limit.
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

You can put rapidshare on the list as well, since unless you have an account there it's limited to 10 downloads per file.

I don't know how feasible it is with phpbb code, but maybe a higher size quota for attachment in a thread's first post? That would fit the bill of an upload service and leave the uploader the possibility to delete and reupload a project when it's updated. Of course truly big project would still need to find another host since I don't believe in 100-megabyte attachments...
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:You can put rapidshare on the list as well, since unless you have an account there it's limited to 10 downloads per file.
Done.
Gez wrote:I don't know how feasible it is with phpbb code, but maybe a higher size quota for attachment in a thread's first post? That would fit the bill of an upload service and leave the uploader the possibility to delete and reupload a project when it's updated. Of course truly big project would still need to find another host since I don't believe in 100-megabyte attachments...
It's feasible but you would have to be comfortable making your own mods - but since I am a perfectionist, I of course would need to mod it so the extra option would be available in the admin panel, and bleh... it's probably just more worth it to increase the limit globally anyhow.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

In that case, it may be wise to add a specific rule for the rules and guidelines for people not to abuse the attachment system.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Then my biggest question would be, what would the potential for abuse be?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, not that I've seen it happen, but with a very high attachment limit, people could (in theory) upload many large files and exceed the webhost's space limit. I'm just being paranoid, though.

Return to “Projects”