Doom 4!

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Pluck101

Doom 4!

Post by Pluck101 »

Im surprised noone has made a doom4 topic yet so... I did. What what you guys like to see in doom4? I wanna see new demons weapons and a story.. but it still feels as good and satisfying to frag zombies as the original classic! :cheers:
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Doom 4!

Post by Graf Zahl »

Despite the name it will be just another modern game so my interest in it is marginal.

They stopped making games I like 8-9 years ago.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Whilst I am not quite so disenchanted with modern games as Graf, I agree with the basic sentiments. Doom 4 holds little of interest to me. Many mainstream games have been getting less interesting IMO and I expect Doom4 to be just another modern shooter that happens to have a Doom-like theme.

Doom3 was pretty disappointing IMO, to the point that, as a Doomer who was there from almost day 1 in '93, I couldn't even be bothered getting the expansion pack. So, I am really not expecting much from Doom4 at all. Unlike Doom3, however, I will not be rushing out to get it when it is released. I will wait to see how it is received by people whose opinions I trust (ie not the game review press (the "99% best game evar!!!!1111one" for every game they play brigade).

[cheap shot] What do I want to see from Doom4? Based on my experience with Doom3, just being able to see it would be nice. :P [/cheap shot]
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Doom 3 has its good points, but it's slow. It's all cramped corridor where you crawl at the speed of an asthmatic snail on a freezing day, and there are tiny groups of monsters that get out of closets, 3 or 4 at a time at most. It's more tedious than fun.

Classic Doom alternates the cramped corridors with wide-open courtyards and the combat situations range from ambiance-setting (E1M2 maze) to challenging. You've got close quarters with plenty of mooks, fight against small groups of elite opponents, arena slaughterfests (though not as slaughterfesty as some of the mods that have been done later and boss fights.

Myself I never finished Doom 3. I started to grow bored of it during the hell levels, and I lost interest shortly after getting back to Mars, disappointed by the soul cube.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I recently replayed Doom3 and, initially, I thought that it wasn't as bad as I had remembered. However, by the time I had gotten to the silly 3D tram maze and the teleport section I was utterly bored with the grey, samey corridors, uninspired fights which were themselves also very limited and samey and the general tedium of the game. Seriously, it's a combination of dull and frustrating most of the time. They took one of the best game titles ever and turned it into a lack-lustre, often boring game that may have had a very spiffy, cutting edge engine but had very little to offer in the way of gameplay.

And I know that it has been stated to the point of it being a cliche, but it is too dark too much of the time. Darkness can be very effective when used well - and that's when there is some light to accentuate the dark. The way to do that would be to mix up light and dark. Standing in a bright area reluctant to go into the dark bit that you can barely see into is potentially scary. Standing in a dark bit staring at another dark bit for the whole game is simply frustrating and boring.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote:They took one of the best game titles ever and turned it into a lack-lustre, often boring game that may have had a very spiffy, cutting edge engine but had very little to offer in the way of gameplay.
Thanks to your rave review (and that of many others) I suspect it may a while before I break the shrink-wrap from DooM3, which I bought a couple of years ago but never got around to installing.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Doom 1 / 2 will always have the magic - and no other game will ever be able to steal it.

Doom 3 was good, but that's all it will ever be. It isn't great or fantastic, just good. I'm pretty sure Doom 4 will be the same way.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I define 'good' as something that's fun to play through.

Doom3 was slow, dark, boring, redundant and overall a chore to play through. That marks 'fail' in my book.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

For me it was fun to play...

... one time.
Remmirath
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Remmirath »

Still, the buildings architecture was not bad. :P
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

It often makes me wonder what type of people playtest this game, wouldn't they experience the game exactly the same way as we do? Or do they not pay any attention to these things, but focus more on the bugs.

I agree with the comments here, doom 3 got boring pretty fast. It has an shitty replay value and fails horribly on multiplayer. I did bought the expansion pack hoping it was more fun, but after an few levels I was allready fed up with it.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

In today's market the only thing that counts is selling the visuals. Once the customers got the game it's too late and the publisher has the money.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

I liked doom 3 personally. Gameplay had nothing to do with classic doom of course. (which I love as well)
Was dark, eerie (even spooky), occasionnal suprises, never knew what was coming around the corner... the kind of stuff that I like. the weapons system was sufficient to jet the job done. as well as the flashlight, reloading weapons, and limited running added some realism and made the player apply some strategy in order to make it out alive. Not to mention the archetecture and detail in the maps was fantastic IMO.
The only major fault about it is that too many people tend to compare this with classic doom, which they shouldn't because this has nothing to do with classic doom, it's totally different, practically a different game. Ah well, take it or leave it. The only reason that I would call it doom is because the weapons and monsters are inherited from Doom and Doom II, as well as the plot and story. Basically a more modern representation of the grand classic.
Hoping that Doom 4 will please me just as much as the last. Maybe even more.... who knows.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Bishop wrote:Was dark, eerie (even spooky), occasionnal suprises, never knew what was coming around the corner... the kind of stuff that I like.
For me, that would read: It was too dark too much of the time. It was devoid of any real atmosphere and full of expected "shocks" with a very obvious pattern to the gameplay which made it utterly predictable.
Bishop wrote:the weapons system was sufficient to jet the job done. as well as the flashlight, reloading weapons, and limited running added some realism and made the player apply some strategy in order to make it out alive.
The weapons system was poor. The weapons were generally slightly weak feeling, not particularly good looking and sounded almost impotent. The flashlight quickly became an annoyance that meant you peered at a small part of the game through an illuminated portal yet had to switch to darkness to fire your weapon - how unrealistic given that present day soldiers are equipped with lights on their weapons. The reloading system was inconsistent with the pace of the game and frustrating in sequences where they (repeatedly) swamped you with hordes of small, annoying, jumping enemies.
Bishop wrote:Not to mention the archetecture and detail in the maps was fantastic IMO.
Much of the architecture looked amazing. There was lots of detail, some nice echoes back to the old Doom computer textures and the older section of the site was suitably "distressed" looking. However, it was also very samey, and all these nice details became bland and boring very quickly as you entered yet another corridor that looked just like the previous one (only to have an imp teleport in front and behind you yet again). Of course, I might have had a higher opinion of the architecture if I actually had enough light to see it properly.
Bishop wrote:The only major fault about it is that too many people tend to compare this with classic doom, which they shouldn't because this has nothing to do with classic doom, it's totally different, practically a different game. Ah well, take it or leave it. The only reason that I would call it doom is because the weapons and monsters are inherited from Doom and Doom II, as well as the plot and story. Basically a more modern representation of the grand classic.
Hoping that Doom 4 will please me just as much as the last. Maybe even more.... who knows.
I don't compare it to the original game. I think that early in the development I had high hopes that it might have similar gameplay, However, it quickly became apparent that it wasn't intended that way. So, I just looked forward to it being the amazing game that Tod Hollenshead promised us. It wasn't. It is a different game from Doom. One is an absolute classic, a genre creating, infinitely replayable masterpiece. The other is Doom3. I couldn't care less whether they call their next game Doom4 or not. Doom is more than a name. I have no great expectations for Doom4. If people whose opinions I trust seem to like it, then I might buy it. However, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a good game because I have significant doubts over id's ability to deliver on that these days. I hope it is fantastic because it means that I can have fun with it, but I don't expect it to be.

I think, perhaps, you and I played different Doom3s. ;)
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

I just enjoyed it. Had no serious problem with the way it plays, that's all I was saying.
Something I did leave out: Doom 3 is only a game I can only really love to play once. It's not the type of game that I can play several times over and enjoy just as much as the first time, sadly.

Return to “Off-Topic”