News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

So what's new this time?

I redesigned the lighting system so that it more closely resembles the software renderer.
The old lighting system is kept as an option in the menu (but I somehow doubt that anyone would use it from now on... ;))

Of course there's the usual bug fixes as well.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Even though at the moment I am not using a OpenGL capable system I have already decided starting with the version before this to just go ahead and dl the new versions. I figure why the hell not. Better safe than sorry.
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

I know this is trivial, but Graf. Next time you make a news post about a new version of GZDoom could you also add a link to the download in the post.

It's just that to get to the downloads section on your page is pretty round-about from the forum as there is currently no direct link from the forum to your site.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You can go to the download thread in the forum as well.
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

I must admit, I hadn't thought of that.
That's a perception-- for me ;)
WinstonSmith6079

Re: 0.9.12

Post by WinstonSmith6079 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The old lighting system is kept as an option in the menu (but I somehow doubt that anyone would use it from now on... ;))
To be honest, I like the old lighting-system. (Otoh, it's good that one can play without it for a more "pure" game of Doom.)

Option in the menu? I didn't see it and started to play without the old lighting-system. :( What option? How do I turn the old lighting-system back on? ???

(To whom it may concern: Lemonzest made a very nice little patch that added that same lighting-effect to rockets and plasma-sparks, enroute to target and when striking the target. I had been using it with v0.9.11 and, myself, thought it should be integrated into GZDoom.)

I don't really know about anyone else besides myself, but I would continue to use it.... On an aside I think that it should be changed a bit, or even better yet user-configurable in various ways, but for now I think it's wonderful.

Btw, excellent port! :):):) I've been a hardcore ZDoom user, 'coz ZDoom was the best port (IMHO). But even though GZDoom is still but beta, it is better than ZDoom already. I've hardly even used ZDoom anymore in preferance of GZDoom.

You rock Graf! Keep up the good work! :thumb:

[Edit:] Um, I think all I had to do was use the 'lights.wad' as a skin to keep that lighting on. Um...and I'm not sure actually whether or not Lemonzest is really the author of it or not. :I Uuh...I is dumb. :P

...But the port is still great! :D:thumb:
Last edited by WinstonSmith6079 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Hmmm. Default light definitions for Doom, Hexen ect. wouldn't be such a bad idea to include with GZDoom, if it could be done practically.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: 0.9.12

Post by Enjay »

WinstonSmith6079 wrote:Option in the menu? I didn't see it and started to play without the old lighting-system. :( What option? How do I turn the old lighting-system back on? ???
Options
-Display Options
--OpenGL Option
---Sector Light Mode
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

solarsnowfall wrote:Hmmm. Default light definitions for Doom, Hexen ect. wouldn't be such a bad idea to include with GZDoom, if it could be done practically.

They are separate so that those who don't want them can play without them. That's the thing I don't like about other ports: The lights are on by default and you can't really add custom lights to WADs without getting interference by the defaults.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:They are separate so that those who don't want them can play without them. That's the thing I don't like about other ports: The lights are on by default and you can't really add custom lights to WADs without getting interference by the defaults.
Agreed. Providing a download to a file that sets them up (as you have done) is a good solution IMO.

Return to “News”