Properly Using NOLFB to play Blood in Windows NT/2K/XP

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Properly Using NOLFB to play Blood in Windows NT/2K/XP

Post by Rex Claussen »

Some years ago I downloaded a utility created by Ken Silverman (one of the guys who developed the Build engine) that supposedly allows Build games to be played in Windows; it's named NOLFB. I have never succeeded in getting it to run at all. Does anyone have experience with this utility, and if so, please share how you got it to run? The zip file included a .com file, which I used to try to run Blood.

Here is the .asm file, for what it's worth:
Spoiler:
InsanityBringer

Re: Properly Using NOLFB to play Blood in Windows NT/2K/XP

Post by InsanityBringer »

Fire up CMD.EXE, and use the CD command to get to the directory with the utility. run NOLFB and then use CD to head to your blood directory (or don't if it's where you put the utility), and then run Blood. You can't run it from explorer
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I tried what you suggested, and still had no luck.

I went into Jonof's forums, and it seems that DOSBox may be a good alternative.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

What error do you get when you try to launch blood? The original issue (that this fixes) is that the linear framebuffer VESA modes don't work in windows (You should get a error message like DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear() Failed!).
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

The two problems I have are that I have no sound, and changing the resolution from the Options menu has no effect. [Curiously, the Options menu => Video Mode submenu shows resolutions all the way up to 1400 x 1050, and while I can select any one of them, the change does not take effect. In other words, I'm stuck with the default 320 x 240 resolution.]
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I installed DOSBox v0.73 and was able to successfully run Blood with sound & higher resolutions. The problem in higher resolutions is that parts of the screen flicker annoyingly. I read about a possible fix (by skipping frames), but decided to stick with lower resolutions that don't have the annoying flicker.

Damn! It would be schweeet if the source code for Blood was released, so that the game could be ported. LOVE that game!

I LIVE ...... AGAIN!

Return to “Off-Topic”