Moderator: Graf Zahl

Zero X. Diamond

[1.4.1] Bug: Sprites rendering squished/stretched

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

CPU: 1.67 GHz AMD Athlon XP2000+
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200
Driver Version: 8.252.0.0

Description: For some reason, ever since 1.3.9 (I think--this was the latest version before 1.4.0, right?) I have been experiencing rendering bugs in GZDoom with sprites rendering squished either horizontally or vertically. I first noticed this in 1.3.9 where the Cacodemon was doing it every once in a while for a brief moment, but it was nothing too distracting. But as of 1.4.1, everything is screwy: items, weapons, monsters. Custom content seems to be the worst hit with monsters randomly cycling from being floating in the air squashed vertically to back on the ground squashed horizontally. It's something to do with the GL system as when it is deactivated, the problems go away. Specifically it appears to have something to do with the scaling methods: when it is switched to Scale3x or HQ3x, everything that's squished in the other modes looks normal, but then everything else gets horribly stretched out. I'm at wit's end and hope to have some sort of solution soon as I've been using GZDoom for some time now and I much prefer its rendering to vanilla ZDoom... the way everything turns brown in the dark just looks gross to me at this point.

Below are a series of images documenting this bug:
Spoiler:
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: [1.4.1] Bug: Sprites rendering squished/stretched

Post by Enjay »

This thread also seems relevant.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24687
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Yes, I too noticed this problem yesterday. It appears to have arisen in the new versions of ZDooM/GZDooM.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

What kind of graphics card are you using? So far it has only definitely been identified on ATI cards.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote:What kind of graphics card are you using? So far it has only definitely been identified on ATI cards.
Guilty as charged. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, v8.20.0.0 (dated 11/10/2005, no update available).
milasudril

Post by milasudril »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:OS: Windows XP SP2 32-Bit
CPU: 1.67 GHz AMD Athlon XP2000+
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200
Driver Version: 8.252.0.0

Description: For some reason, ever since 1.3.9 (I think--this was the latest version before 1.4.0, right?) I have been experiencing rendering bugs in GZDoom with sprites rendering squished either horizontally or vertically. I first noticed this in 1.3.9 where the Cacodemon was doing it every once in a while for a brief moment, but it was nothing too distracting. But as of 1.4.1, everything is screwy: items, weapons, monsters. Custom content seems to be the worst hit with monsters randomly cycling from being floating in the air squashed vertically to back on the ground squashed horizontally. It's something to do with the GL system as when it is deactivated, the problems go away. Specifically it appears to have something to do with the scaling methods: when it is switched to Scale3x or HQ3x, everything that's squished in the other modes looks normal, but then everything else gets horribly stretched out. I'm at wit's end and hope to have some sort of solution soon as I've been using GZDoom for some time now and I much prefer its rendering to vanilla ZDoom... the way everything turns brown in the dark just looks gross to me at this point.

Below are a series of images documenting this bug:
Spoiler:
Similar things happens on Intel GMA 950 in OpenGL mode. Strange things also happens to high resolution textures (perhaps only non-power-of-2).
dark-slayer-201

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

same with Intel Mobile Graphics Accelerator 4500M (Laptop)
on older versions, it only does it to all sprites for a slit second when changing the HQnX\ScalenX
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Please test if you still get the bug with this build.
Jamesff

Post by Jamesff »

I just began using version 1.4.1, and have the graphics bug (My computer runs WinXP, 2.5 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 5600 video card). I have also tried out the custom build and its fix does not appear to be working for me.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Okay, trying something a bit different then. Can you redownload it and retry?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

fixed
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Why did you take the gl_trimsprite option from my clumsy and flawed attempts, given that it doesn't do anything?
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

I'm afraid this bug is still present in build r721.

CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
CPU : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
RAM : 2 GB
Video Card : ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition
Driver Version : 6.14.10.6601

:cry:
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

I'm still getting the bug in r721 as well.

Return to “Closed Bugs”