State of everything.

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

State of everything.

Post by BioHazard »

Well, just for the sake of documentation, I think I'll make account of everything that is going on with all of my projects.

ZDL:
This seems to be my big "moneymaker" (even though I haven't made a dime off it you cheapskates :P ). It has evolved from a tiny 5-liner to an extremely complex application that can do all kinds of nifty stuff from just launching the game to coordinating a multiplayer game over the Internet. It is a tremendous task to write "correctly" (for me anyway, my definition of "correct" is extremely difficult to attain...). My main problem with this one is that I don't care for the community anymore. Sure I'm constantly being told ZDL is "teh sexy" and "really awesome" but that just isn't enough to overthrow the fact that I dislike most of the ZDoom community.
I am working on it very slowly but I just don't care about ZDL very much anymore.
Also, my partner in this project QBasicer hasn't spoken with me in quite a while so there is even less motivation.
I really wish this app had a better future, but I wouldn't be surprised if ZDL3 turned into vaporware. Better get those donations coming, rent is due soon...

BAVE:
I totally forgot this thing even exists :?
My main problem with BAVE is the lack of an easy editor. QBasicer was working on one, but he disappeared. Another problem is the instability of the gamefile parser, it will a-splode with the slightest problem. Grubber said he'd take a look but I haven't heard anything from him.
Yet another problem with this is I don't know how widely used it would be. Without a sample game to ship with it I'm not sure how well people will understand it's purpose.

KwikStrip:
I really really want to redo this one. But I'm not sure how to do it without using a ton of memory, I could use GDI to paint the graphics to the strip in a flat fashion to save handles on buttons and that would even make the app skinnable. Hmm, actually... That's a pretty cool idea... I'll have to try that...
Although I'm perfectly happy with the current version, I'm sure you guys would like a GUI for adding items.
Again, rent is due soon...

EDIT (10/3/05): Using the GDI idea, I have been able to make a huge improvement to the whole program. If all goes well, expect a release in a few days.

BugTracker:
I really need to convert this to use a MySQL database but I just don't have the time. It wouldn't be very hard and it should only take a day at most.
I'm not sure what the public thinks of this application as it is only being heavily tested by the KDiZD team and now that KDiZD is more or less dead, BugTracker will probably disappear as it's main market has dissolved.
I'm really interested to hear if other mapping teams are interested in this system, I'm even willing to host it until I get the database sorted out!

TextStuff:
How many people use this anyway? I know of 1 person. I want to break this one into 2 parts, the text transformation library and the GUI. Thus, making the TextStuff library available to any program. I really need to get the new version out there because the text break and HTML<->BBCode functions are really handy.

EditorDB:
This one is another case of "I don't care about the ZDoom community anymore" syndrome. On top of that, I just don't have the time to write it. Also, who would find it? It would be another thing buried in my site never to see the light of day because nobody comes here. Maybe if it was linked at a big-name doom portal or something...

CmdStrip:
All I really need to do to this program is change a few lines in the .c file and fiddle with the .rc a bit and It'll be fine. Maybe put it on a toolbar-thing so you can move it freely?

WADDiff
Totally vaporware. It would have totally rocked, but I don't care enough about doom anymore to warrant starting such an ambitious project. Even if I did make it, I don't think anyone would want to use it for the purpose I planned it to fill.

Filler:
Is there anything to really be done here? It seems fine to me.

TAG Explorer:
Hmm, I feel the same way about this app as I do about Filler. It does what it is supposed to do very well and shows no instabilities. I would really like to make the dispalys into listviews so they can be sorted, but I can't figure out listviews.
Last edited by BioHazard on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:01, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

Post of the day.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Although I have to admit that BioHazard coded up a massive storm, and his programs just plain ROCK, It's a shame to remember that all programs fate is deletion in the end. I hate to watch BAVE vanish to the hands of the format command though. Well, here's to what could've been with BAVE. :cheers:

:chaingun: <---Fate of BAVE, and other programs written by our toxic leader. :-)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Here is an update:

ZDL:
I have really wanted to get back to writing it lately. I have huge plans for it so it will be a lot more complex for the next release. I want to make it a tabbed dialog with seperate tabs for all sorts of stuff. In the effort of simplicity, you will be able to turn off tabs you don't want from the options tab. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but I keep having ideas that sound fisable. Let's just hope one of them works.

KwikStrip:
Ho boy KwikStrip rocks now that I have a working V2.0 alpha out. I don't plan to work on this untill I finish ZDL3.

EditorDB:
I can't think of a style for the page that can encompass all the data required and still look structured. Then again, I really haven't spent much time thinking about it.

CmdStrip:
CmdStrip is totally rewritten and sitting in the go-box. It's exactly what I wanted CmdStrip to be when I first thought of the idea.

Filler:
I fixed a few bugs but that's about it.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”