Google Chrome Frame

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Google Chrome Frame

Post by Rachael »

There is a new Google Chrome Frame plug-in which attaches seamlessly with Internet Explorer. This does not make the browser "more standard" per se, but it allows web developers to use an alternative rendering engine (Google's WebKit variant) for their web pages instead of Trident (which is a sadly under-maintained, broken, and buggy engine for internet browsing). This also fully allows the use of HTML 5 and CSS 3 features within IE6/7/8. In fact, it operates very similar to Firefox's IE Tab extension, except it does the reverse, however it only activates when a page specifically opts in. (Maybe in the future there will be ways to activate it on pages which do not opt-in)

The reason why I mention this is because I may eventually drop support completely for Trident and its variants on this site, but I am not yet completely set on this. It would be great to forget about Internet Explorer though, but sadly with the number of users still using it, it is still a somewhat popular browser and developing for it while developing for Chrome & Firefox & Opera all at the same time is not easy. (The latter 3 tend to stay up to date with HTML and CSS specs far better than Internet Explorer does) Pages breaking on Internet Explorer have set back development on more than one occasion.

Once GCF becomes a little more popular and receives some widespread use, I may drop support for the Trident rendering engine completely.
NeuralStunner

Re: Google Chrome Frame

Post by NeuralStunner »

So, with this folks may be able to use the File Space in IE now?
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Are you referring to files.drdteam.org? It works fine for me on IE8 without the plugin.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Yes, but good to hear. :)
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “Off-Topic”