[Community] DooM Fusion Mapping

Talk about our & your projects.
Grymmoire

[Community] DooM Fusion Mapping

Post by Grymmoire »

DooM Fusion Mapping

*Figured I'd post here since there are some mappers here who may come across this and be interested*

A short while ago I came across an interesting concept and now I decided to build on it.

Essentially the concept is this: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12117/

The concept is to "fuse" two Classic DooM maps of your choosing and integrate them into something new. Like Nick Baker's map above takes E1M1 and mixes it up with Map01 (DooM 2) to create a rather interesting combination, the result is something new yet nostalgic.

So without further ado, here are the guidelines:

Gamplay Guidelines
  • Jumping and crouching should not be required to complete your map
  • Pistol start
  • Custom textures are allowed
  • Custom monsters are allowed (although try to use them well)
  • No custom weapons
General Guidelines
  • Any two map styles can be mixed together, Phobos Anomaly+Tower of Babel, Command Control+Underhalls, Spirit World+Entryway, etc.
  • Map/Style combinations must be from classic iwad (Ult. Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom)
  • State the maps you used with your submission
  • As a general rule of thumb, try to not just strew together pieces of the two map styles, do not just retexture a copy of a classic map (not sure if that's even legal), and do not be TOO exact with the base layout (Try to deviate, create something new, while staying true to the original)
  • Just because your map is based off E1M1 does not mean it has to be as hard as E1M1, as long as it's from pistol start the map should give the player an interesting time.
  • You can have more than one submission
  • Skulltag/software renderer compatibility is not an issue. Feel free to use 3d floors and the latest zdoom features
  • UDMF map format is preferable
  • You can post your submission here, or send it via PM if you wanna keep it a surprise or something
  • Put some effort into the map, don't throw something together in 10 minutes with little regard to the fact that others are gonna have to play it, make it worth someone's time to play, make it interesting, just make a decent map as best as you can ;)
EDIT: I've decided not to force pistol start with MAPINFO (But still make sure your map is pistol start friendly), therefore the whole project can now be Boom-compatible. But considering the allowance of custom monsters and new ZDooM features, state the compatibility of your submission, whether it's Boom-compatible, ZDooM specific, or uses OpenGL features as well.

EDIT2: You can use Chex maps in your map fusions BUT it has to be a Chex map fused with a Doom/Heretic map done in Doom/Heretic style. The Chex style is just too "clean" for demons and blood and gore and general Doom stuff.

If you aren't sure what to do, you can use Nick Baker's map linked above, or my map linked below, as a reference, but keep in mind that just because it's an E1M1 mix up doesn't mean it has to be as hard as E1M1 :P

I think that pretty much sums up the gist of this project, now here is my submission:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?hmmcc0o3pz771ah (Command Control , E1M4, and Underhalls, Map02-Doom 2) - (ZDooM 2.5.0, OpenGL required)

Screenshots:
[spoiler]ImageImage
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Grymmoire on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:16, edited 3 times in total.
WIP Projects
  • GvH
  • Hacx 2.0
MS Projects
  • Overload
  • Harvester
  • MSDuel
Finished/Abandoned Projects
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: [Community] DooM Fusion Mapping

Post by Rex Claussen »

Excellent concept! And I'm not just saying that because something similar had occurred to me. [I have been thinking of making a single map from various sections of The Ultimate DooM Episode 2 maps. However, other commitments have prevented me from starting on it.] I doubt I'll be able to make a contribution, but I'm sure I enjoy the various contributions to this project.

By the way, those screenshots really evoke nostalgia by showing glimpses of familiar sections of E1M4 and Map02.
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

Thanks! I tried hard and worked long to make sure I captured both E1M4 and Map02 well. (I even asked Jimmy to make a special track that combined both E1M4 and Map02's tracks into one)

I really do hope I get some more contributions, possibly from some mappers who only frequent this forum, so far my other threads like this have gotten bunches of views but no one spoke up about contributing at all (Or replied, for that matter) :(

I suppose it's only a matter of time, I did think it was an interesting concept, someone else who isn't too busy to make some maps will eventually think the same too.
WIP Projects
  • GvH
  • Hacx 2.0
MS Projects
  • Overload
  • Harvester
  • MSDuel
Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire »

Some progress on a planned submission, just to show that there is in fact progress going on. It's a Heretic map fusion of E1M1 and E2M7.

http://blazingphoenix.sepwich.com/Scree ... 202121.png

I didn't state that Heretic does count as a classic iwad in the first post. Rather unorthodox, maybe, but technically it's a "classic" iwad, and is pretty vanilla as far as I know, compared to Hexen and Strife. With that in mind you could in theory consider fusing DooM and Heretic maps together as well, or like the above example Heretic on Heretic. But as I implied above, beyond heretic is kind of out of bounds.
WIP Projects
  • GvH
  • Hacx 2.0
MS Projects
  • Overload
  • Harvester
  • MSDuel

Return to “Projects”