SHADERS ability/lump?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

SHADERS ability/lump?

Post by Major Cooke »

I just did a search for shaders and such like the warp.txt effect, and came up with this:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/SHADERS

If anyone could clarify, is this possible to use the same format as the shaders lump?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: SHADERS ability/lump?

Post by Gez »

Have you noticed that this is a ZDoomGL feature? And that "GZDoom" is mentioned nowhere on that page? It's not supported at all by GZDoom.
Major Cooke
Developer
Developer

Post by Major Cooke »

Well, let me ask this question then, because that GLSL page is not very clear. How does it all work?

This page is not very detailed on how to operate the whole script. I get that the only thing driven the entire time is timer, but how do I increment my own which I can reset? I'm trying to make something like a texture scrolling from right to left that resets when it's done.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I don't know enough, to be honest; Graf said that with 2.0 the specifications changed and that they aren't finalized yet.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

At the moment it's all a clear 'Do not touch it'!
I am still thinking about this and haven't produced any usable results yet.

ZDoomGL's shader definitions may be supported later on but there's no guarantee and it has to make sense. Since this was never used in a mod I see no point sticking to its definition if I think there's better ways to do it.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Quick bump, but to clarify, is the process on the linked wiki page (GLDefs) no longer valid/correct/supported? If not, and the new stuff hasn't been finalized/formalized yet, what's left to be done? I was planning on playing with this sometime soonish and might consider tinkering with the source if there's still a few loose ends to be tied up before custom shaders are an "official" feature.

[EDIT] Heh, I'm marked as a Developer because of Hacx, which makes me sound much more official here than I actually am. :P
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Xaser wrote:Quick bump, but to clarify, is the process on the linked wiki page (GLDefs) no longer valid/correct/supported? If not, and the new stuff hasn't been finalized/formalized yet, what's left to be done? I was planning on playing with this sometime soonish and might consider tinkering with the source if there's still a few loose ends to be tied up before custom shaders are an "official" feature.
My guess is that it is still supported, I'm guessing Graf's warning is about the ZDoomGL SHADERS lump, itself.
Spoiler: Not trying to derail...
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The current status can be summed up as 'I'm not working on it right now'. I'm simply too busy with work stuff and there's little creativity left for Doom.
I really could use a second developer but that has been without result for 10 years now. I'M afraid, as things are going right now, there won't be any progress for the foreseeable future.

Return to “GZDoom”