WOLF3D Unofficial Remaster

For released projects. Completed or in progress as long as something is playable.
LkMax

WOLF3D Unofficial Remaster

Post by LkMax »

First of all, it's not complete but I don't have plans for any update any time soon (or ever), so I'm releasing what I have already.
With that said...

ABOUT

This mod aims to provide a replacement for the original lower definition sprites and textures while retaining the artistic style of the original game.

It can be used with Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, both Mission Packs and a few supported mods (like the Second Encounter addon).
It can also be used with any ECWolf compatible mod that doesn't change the default graphics too much.

More details on the "readme" file.

Supported games:
- Wolfenstein 3D (including the shareware / a.k.a. demo)
- Spear of Destiny
- Mission Pack 1: Return To Danger
- Mission Pack 2: Ultimate Challenge

Partially Supported Mods:
- Coffe Break
- Executor's Mission Pack ("wolfenstein missions")
- Second Encounter
- Wolfenstein Intensifies
- Probably a couple more I forgot (too long since I last edited the addon)

OBS: I forgot to include some of these in the batch so you'll have to manually edit it if you decide to download all the mods.

DOWNLOAD

The addon can be downloaded here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein- ... cwolf-rmst

SCREENSHOTS

Wolf3D: https://imgur.com/2a19RnP
Spear2: https://imgur.com/LQbRl6i
CoffeB: https://imgur.com/umXBuE5
Spear2: https://imgur.com/OFQMarE
Spear2: https://imgur.com/duvEgE6
Last edited by LkMax on Sat Dec 23, 2017 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
david_a00

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by david_a00 »

I saw this on the ZDoom forum and played around with it a little bit last night. I only got into ECWolf a week or two ago and I was wondering if something like this existed :)

I'll try to keep my sprite criticisms objective.

Knife - Fine. Wolfenstein's lack of blood when you hit something is somehow much more distracting with the clearer sprite, though (I realize there is nothing to do about this yet).
Luger - It doesn't look much like a Luger to me. I think of a Luger as having fairly clean, slim lines, but this seems bulbous and indistinct. The perspective on the barrel doesn't quite work for me either; I keep seeing it as the player holding a black blob instead of pointing something.
MP40 - Good artwork and most importantly it feels satisfying to use, but the flash could perhaps have a bit more bite to it.
Chaingun - This one doesn't work for me at all. The barrel muzzles feel warped and the flash is too small and distractingly asymmetric. The enormous flash of the original made it extremely satisfying to use because it really felt like you were unloading pure power.

That probably came off a bit negative but it's only because I really like the idea. Coming from Doom the absurdly low-res original sprites are distracting.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Noted. No problem in giving constructive criticism, I know they're not perfect and I still plan to bring updates in the future.

About your feedback specifically:
- The knife can be arranged to get "bloody" by scripting but it's very low on priority if I get to change that;
- The Luger, I already have other sprite in mind that needs some tweaking first, but I disagree that it looks like a "black blob", maybe a different pistol though;
- Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
david_a00

Post by david_a00 »

LkMax wrote: - Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
I see massive muzzleflash as an explicit design choice - you have to make a tradeoff between dealing a lot of damage vs obstructing your view. It's similar to how the plasma gun in Doom can very easily obscure everything.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

While I don't necessarily disagree with david_a00's observations, I think the new sprites are a huge improvement over the originals. Good work, LkMax.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Rex Claussen wrote:While I don't necessarily disagree with david_a00's observations, I think the new sprites are a huge improvement over the originals. Good work, LkMax.
david_a00 wrote:
LkMax wrote: - Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
I see massive muzzleflash as an explicit design choice - you have to make a tradeoff between dealing a lot of damage vs obstructing your view. It's similar to how the plasma gun in Doom can very easily obscure everything.
I considered the view being blocked. If you compare on the screenshot you can see that despite the muzzleflash being smaller the view is blocked almost as much (only the botton is less blocked but it would make no difference at that distance).
But I get it, you like big flashes for your big guns. :mrgreen:
david_a00

Post by david_a00 »

LkMax wrote:
david_a00 wrote:
I considered the view being blocked. If you compare on the screenshot you can see that despite the muzzleflash being smaller the view is blocked almost as much (only the botton is less blocked but it would make no difference at that distance).
But I get it, you like big flashes for your big guns. :mrgreen:
Well yeah :chaingun:
Since Wolf has such poor weapon variation any minor flaw will get amplified by familiarity (especially the MP40 and chain gun).
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Coming soon.
I expanded the Chaingun muzzleflash a little bit, replaced the pistol with a new sprite (heavly modified from the Jaguar version), added muzzle reflections on the MP40 and "hot barrel tips" on the chaingun (no changes on the knife).

preview:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
LkMax

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by LkMax »

Done!

[Update 1.1]

Changelog:
- New pistol sprite
- Added muzzle reflection on MP40
- Added "hot barrel tip" on Chaingun and expanded its muzzleflash
- New (optional) sound effects on a separated SFX file for all weapons.

DOWNLOAD <== Click here
(click on the big green download button after following the above link)

A little preview (new screenshot but knife is the same):
Spoiler: screenshot
RetroWolf92

Post by RetroWolf92 »

I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.

And before you say it, I don't make sprites, I can give criticism on them though.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

These look good tbh. Nice work!
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

RetroWolf92 wrote:I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.
There's not much you can do with, I don't know, 16x16 pixels? (the original sprites) So some liberties have to be made.
It's "faithful" in the sense that I maintained approximately the same proportions, color scheme and ideas of the original sprites (the pistol is supposed to look like a luger, the machinegun a MP40 and the chaingun a portable chaingun). What exactly you expected me to do, just double the size of the original sprites? That's what algorithms like HQ4x are made for but they don't look nearly as good, specially for such small sprites like in the vanilla game.
Nokiaman wrote:These look good tbh. Nice work!
Thanks.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Also I just realized. Why isn't this in the Releases subforum :D
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Oh, I didn't notice the little subforum almost hidden up there. :lol:
If a moderator wish he may change it.
PS: I posted on the subforum before because I found a thread through google, I didn't pay attention to it until much later.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

RetroWolf92 wrote:I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.
While I concede your definition of "faithful" is accurate, I must say that what LkMax has done stays true to the spirit of Wolfenstein, while updating the graphics significantly. As such, it seems pointless to quibble over semantics.

Return to “Releases”