GzDooM pre-1905 + Black screen

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: GzDooM pre-1905 + Black screen

Post by dpJudas »

About the Intel full screen. Just to rule out certain parts of the codebase: could you try it with the Hardware Gamma setting set to Off? It is one of the few differences between windowed and full screen mode in gzdoom.

One other thing: does your driver crash (as it does for ibm5155) when going full screen?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What do you mean by 'impossible'?
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Unlike Akiradlc, I still get the black screen issue (randomly) with 2.2pre-2025-geadc2f3.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I belive a vídeo is The best way of showing what's going on now
Intel GPU AMD GPU -one intel gpu, only the doom 2 background image is black, but the rest Works (I can even see the credits image), also there's a black image that shows for some second before the map is showed.
-on amd gpu, sometimes the game Works just fine in fullscreen mode, sometimes, it happens to only show black (AND now it shows a specific texture when I join the game, and it's Always the same texture).

Disabling gamma did nothing in both gpus...
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

dpJudas wrote:About the Intel full screen. Just to rule out certain parts of the codebase: could you try it with the Hardware Gamma setting set to Off? It is one of the few differences between windowed and full screen mode in gzdoom.

One other thing: does your driver crash (as it does for ibm5155) when going full screen?
I've tried already since 3 git builds earlier both on and off hardware gamma (figured it could be the issue long ago exactly because it makes the render behave differently at window and fullscreen), but it is not the cause. Either on or off the fullscreen simply don't work in the notebook, it goes black screen with sound in the background, no crash. The program keeps running, just without video signal (and no, it's not wrong resolution, i double checked it in the ini multiple times, along with other GL specific options that could cause the problem).
Graf Zahl wrote:What do you mean by 'impossible'?
It just don't show video in fullscreen. If i keep it windowed it works fine, post-processing on and whatever. If i alt-enter or set video to fullscreen through the menu, it goes black screen with only sound. No crash, i can just press alt-enter again and it'll go back to windowed with no issues.
Again, it's not wrong refresh rate or resolution, i generate a new INI every new build i try and double check the settings so i don't do stupid things like using hardware unsupported resolutions or timings.
Blue Shadow wrote:Unlike Akiradlc, I still get the black screen issue (randomly) with 2.2pre-2025-geadc2f3.
AMD or Intel? My AMD shows no more issues at all with build g2.2pre-2024-g0e2d9af. And i really stressed it messing with post, aa, tonemmaping, and a lot of the configs on the fly while playing just to see if changing it would cause the black lines or any other issue back. So far no problems to me.
ibm5155 wrote:-one intel gpu, only the doom 2 background image is black, but the rest Works (I can even see the credits image), also there's a black image that shows for some second before the map is showed.
-on amd gpu, sometimes the game Works just fine in fullscreen mode, sometimes, it happens to only show black (AND now it shows a specific texture when I join the game, and it's Always the same texture).

Disabling gamma did nothing in both gpus...
Indeed, the hardware gamma also does not make any difference in my Intel fullscreen problem, but i'm not having the other issues you still having with your GPUs as you showed in the video.
Just to be sure: You're using the latest AMD Crimson driver for your AMD gpu right? I think they changed a lot in their OpenGL drivers in the last two releases to get better fps with the Doom 2016 and No Man's Sky (Doom having a OpenGL 4.5 option as api and NMS being a full OGL only game).
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

Just realized from Blue Shadow's post that there is a new 2025 release in git builds from today (19/8), going to donwload and check it out asap.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

for amd it's the latest driver (the no man sky one), for intel idk but it was new... (and even if the drivers say it support opengl 4.5, doom 4 only uses opengl 4.3 (idk why)

@Akiradlc try this:
-run the game in fullscreen mode under the amd.
-change the resolution.
-when the screen changed, close gzdoom (the normal way).
-now open gzdoom.

does it show the black screen for you that way? I figure out that I tend to not render stuff if I previously changed the screen resolution
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

ibm5155 wrote:for amd it's the latest driver (the no man sky one), for intel idk but it was new... (and even if the drivers say it support opengl 4.5, doom 4 only uses opengl 4.3 (idk why)

@Akiradlc try this:
-run the game in fullscreen mode under the amd.
-change the resolution.
-when the screen changed, close gzdoom (the normal way).
-now open gzdoom.

does it show the black screen for you that way? I figure out that I tend to not render stuff if I previously changed the screen resolution
No. It changes res normal, quits normal, and opens without any issue. Just tried it with a few other resolutions to test and no problem too.
I still think your AMD problem is because of the AMD+Intel gpu combo i said earlier. I'm having no more issues with the AMD card.

Also, just tried the new 2025, apparently no problems after my initial config with AMD, but i have to play more and open and close it a lot more to be sure.
Will try with the notebook's Intel when possible.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Akiradlc wrote:I've tried already since 3 git builds earlier both on and off hardware gamma (figured it could be the issue long ago exactly because it makes the render behave differently at window and fullscreen), but it is not the cause.
Sorry, wasn't sure if you guys had tried it or not. It was crucial for me to know to rule out possibilities.
ibm5155 wrote:-one intel gpu, only the doom 2 background image is black, but the rest Works (I can even see the credits image), also there's a black image that shows for some second before the map is showed.
This seems to indicate that it is trying to render that texture with mipmap filtering while not having any mipmap levels. How that can happen I have no idea at current time. The black image when starting the map is the wipe effect. It once again indicates possible mipmap incomplete textures with mipmap filtering, or it could mean it failed to copy data into the Start and End textures used for wipe effects.
ibm5155 wrote:-on amd gpu, sometimes the game Works just fine in fullscreen mode, sometimes, it happens to only show black (AND now it shows a specific texture when I join the game, and it's Always the same texture).
I have actually seen this effect before. I can trigger it on my computer when I turn gl_renderbuffers on and off. Figuring out why that happened has been bit of a low priority for me because it was just a debug cvar after all. Going to look a bit further into possible causes for it - maybe it will reveal something.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Akiradlc wrote:AMD or Intel?
AMD. And here, I don't have an integrated Intel GPU, only that dedicated AMD one.

The issue happened on two launches of the engine (in windowed mode) out of three. So it's anything but rare, here.
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

dpJudas wrote:Sorry, wasn't sure if you guys had tried it or not. It was crucial for me to know to rule out possibilities.
No problem. But again, apparently i am the only one not having issues anymore with AMD, Blue Shadow and ibm5155 still having issues.
Blue Shadow wrote:
Akiradlc wrote:AMD or Intel?
AMD. And here, I don't have an integrated Intel GPU, only that dedicated AMD one.

The issue happened on two launches of the engine (in windowed mode) out of three. So it's anything but rare, here.
Sorry, didn't saw the log text in earlier replies.

This issue can be related more to mobile gpus maybe? Shot in the dark, would be good to have more gpus and systems to run it on and see what happens. :?
Akiradlc

Post by Akiradlc »

Update: as of build 2025 i can't apparently record gameplay anymore with PlaysTV app, as if some overlay was blocking the app to hook the OGL render. Could be PlaysTV fault, the latest update said to mess around with the OGL recording... just thought it would be worth mentioning as it has to do with the api in question nonetheless.
Previous git builds i could record without problems, going to try them again to check.

And alas, got black screen with 2025 and AMD... think i'll be going back to 2024 and try PlaysTV recording and look out for black screens again.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

I'm starting to think the black screen might be related to some uninitialized variable. On all three systems it sounds like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Usually such stuff only happens due to uninitialized memory or race conditions.
ibm

Post by ibm »

Or some var that's being used by gzdoom but got removed from the gpu opengl core ? ( check the debug thread)
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Does it make any difference to the black screen situation if Texture Filter Mode is set to None?

Return to “Closed Bugs”