Strange player actor behaviour

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Agentbromsnor

Strange player actor behaviour

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I have to mention this since I'm making a platform-game. I've noticed that the player can often get stuck on the edge of a sector. I'm not sure what is causing this, but every time the player is jumping on the edge of a sector, or walks off of one, it can cause some strange behaviour to occur. These are just regular raised rectors.

I've never noticed this behaviour when playing regular Doom WADs, but I hope there is some sort of way I can solve this or some way I can circumvent this problem.

Here's a quick demonstration video I made for this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9OaFo4Mco

My system:
Intel i7-5775C CPU @ 3.30 Ghz
16 GB RAM
Intel Iris Pro 6200 GPU (internal)
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

I'm using the latest (regular) build of GZDoom, v2.2.0.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Strange player actor behaviour

Post by Rachael »

Before we go delving deep into this, can you test it on the latest devbuild and also gzzscript build to see if it still happens in either?
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

The latest devbuild has the exact behaviour, and the same goes for the GZZScript build.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Can you post an example wad where this happens?
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I've only encountered this in my own PK3. I've uploaded my early alpha version to Dropbox just now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9r5z8j3sinoe ... e.pk3?dl=0

I should mention that walking to the right triggers a camera movement script as soon as you cross that line. This is just for testing features, so just wait a few seconds and the camera should return back to its normal state (including the controls).

It's obviously still a work in progress product. :P
Last edited by Agentbromsnor on Mon Nov 28, 2016 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

That's fine, as long as the behavior can be replicated.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

It looks like you'll need to report this at the ZDoom forum - but to avoid repeating yourself you can link this thread directly.

I've done a cursory investigation and I can only replicate the problem with the ACS movement. When I disabled the map's ACS, the player moved normally and everything was just fine.

It seems like whatever you're using to move the player, the game is using extra physics checks it should not be.

If I had more time/was not as tired as I am now, I would delve into this a little deeper than I did, sorry. The ZDoom post is just to get someone else to look at it if they beat me to it, otherwise, I will continue investigating this when I can.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Hmm, that's certainly an interesting find. The only thing my script does in terms of player movement is locking the player down on one axis like in a classic 2D platform-game, so you can't move into the back and foreground. I couldn't think of any other way to do so.

Thanks for looking into it! I'll re-post this on the ZDoom forums and see if anyone comes up with something new.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since I consider this an editing problem, this will get closed, too, just like its ZDoom counterpart.

Return to “Closed Bugs”