Don't Start Me Up anymore, Windows 8!

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
NeuralStunner

Re: Don't Start Me Up anymore, Windows 8!

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think my favorite part was that despite the attempt at multi-platform design, we still ended up with Windows RT, which can run jack all except programs made for it.

Then came Windows 8.1, and then Windows 8.1 Update (Hooray for the confusing naming scheme), which at this point is more or less like a faster Windows 7 in function.

Windows 10 almost makes it look like "metro apps" are supported solely for compatibility reasons. It starts to make one hopeful about MS realizing that yes, it's not all about making new, tech-illiterate customers. People who have been using Windows for years (and have to buy upgrade thanks to the support philosophy) shouldn't have to be just as lost as brand new computer users.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Recently, I had a friend who got a brand new system - but guess what operating system it had on it ...

So I took it upon myself to see what I could do to make Windows 8 more like Windows 7 was. After using it for a day with the modifications I put in place for it, I can say I find this setup very comfortable to use.

http://fanelinie.blogspot.com/2014/12/m ... ows-8.html
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Of those, "Classic Shell" is absolutely essential IMO. OK, so 8.1 allowed you to get a start button back but its functionality is odd and borderline useless. Classic Shell gives you proper start menu functionality and I now use it on my Win 7 setup too. To be fair, I don't have it set up hugely different to the way Win 7 works but there are one or two features that I prefer in Classic Shell versus the default Win 7 way of doing things.

Most of the other thing mentioned are either eye candy which I don't mind too much about one way or the other. I'm not a huge fan of the very flat looking Win 8 but I've grown to accept it and don't feel a burning need to make it look more Win 7-like. I never really got into using desktop gadgets and so on either.

All the programs look like good recommendations though for anyone who wants to change those things but, as I said, Classic Shell has to be an essential install on a Win 8 machine as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure that I could use Win 8 without it. No doubt I'll find out when my work upgrades to Win 8 in something like 2020 (we're still in the process of moving to Win 7). With any luck, we'll just skip Win 8 completely.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:With any luck, we'll just skip Win 8 completely.
Can always hope, right?

Unfortunately, Classic Shell requires administrative permissions. So if they decide to "upgrade" to Windows 8 - let's sure as heck hope they either remember to put that in, or allow you to!
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I volunteer as a basic computer tutor at my community library, and some of my students have many, many questions about Windows 8. The link you posted, particularly about Classic Shell, will be invaluable in helping them to navigate the morass that is Windows 8. Thanks.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome, Rex. :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hm... well...

I don't really need the eye candy stuff and the visual themes - but Classic Shell is a definite must - especially if you happen to like the original start menu from Win95 - which had already been removed in Windows 7. As a result I have been using this long before the release of Windows 8.

At least one good thing came out of this disaster: Steve Ballmer is no longer CEO of Microsoft - and I think he's the one to blame for this fiasco.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Graf Zahl wrote:[...]and I think he's the one to blame for this fiasco.
Steven Sinofsky is your guy, not Steve Ballmer. Ballmer probably tried to get the Windows team to think Mobile's and branch off into tablet platform devices, but the main spear head was Steven at the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yeah, one was the mastermind behind the mess, and the other one executed it.
And now none has his former job... :mrgreen:
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I can't see/hear Ballmer's name without thinking about... How can anyone take that seriously?
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Enjay wrote:I can't see/hear Ballmer's name without thinking about...
You're not looking at the right videos. Here, this should help you: Best song to listen to when coding :D
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

"I have four words for you: developers, developers, developers, developers."

Hah! Classic stuff right there. I'd seen/heard it before but thanks for the reminder. :D

You'd think a guy who sweats like that would choose a different shirt though. :lol:
SGT_Roozy_V

Post by SGT_Roozy_V »

How autistic. I remember one of the internet initials of casualties going down around.
Note that all Doom servers are closed now not by me.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Please check the dates on threads. This one is over 2 years old. If you have nothing meaningful to add, don't add.

Also, I'm not happy about the way that you have used the word "autistic".

Return to “Off-Topic”