OpenAL is a joke compared to FMOD

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
hairylegs222

OpenAL is a joke compared to FMOD

Post by hairylegs222 »

I'm an audiophile and care a lot about the quality of sound. OpenAL shouldn't even be in the same category as FMOD. There's such a gigantic difference. I'm sticking with the GZDoom 2.4.0 until a newer version either brings it back or something else is integrated.

Is there something planned in regards to this? I really hope so :)
Last edited by hairylegs222 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OpenAL is a joke compared to FMOD

Post by Blue Shadow »

FMod is not coming back, because it would conflict with the license GZDoom is currently under. As for an alternative to OpenAL, I haven't heard any talk about that. So it looks like you're going to stay with that version of GZDoom for a very long time.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

hairylegs. you might be interested in this thread...

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56082
SGT_Roozy_V

Post by SGT_Roozy_V »

Are you talking about the crappiest OpenAL ever?!
Note that all Doom servers are closed now not by me.
hairylegs222

Post by hairylegs222 »

Enjay wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 19:10 hairylegs. you might be interested in this thread...

It says I'm not allowed to view that forum, even when signed in. What was it about?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Ooops, sorry, yes, that was a developers only thread. It was a discussion of how fmod sounds versus OpenAL including quite a detailed analysis of the sounds by Nash. There were a number of differences picked up and a few tweaks and fixes came about as a result. However, it also showed that fmod probably does a bit of post processing to artificially boost bass levels to try and make the sound more appealing, effectively misrepresenting the sound. This is similar to the loudness war in music.

From a personal standpoint, I initially thought that fmod sounded better than OpenAL but having now got used to the differences, I prefer the cleaner, lighter, crisper un-postprocessed sound of OpenAL to that of fmod.
SGT_Roozy_V

Post by SGT_Roozy_V »

Enjay wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 19:24 Ooops, sorry, yes, that was a developers only thread. It was a discussion of how fmod sounds versus OpenAL including quite a detailed analysis of the sounds by Nash. There were a number of differences picked up and a few tweaks and fixes came about as a result. However, it also showed that fmod probably does a bit of post processing to artificially boost bass levels to try and make the sound more appealing, effectively misrepresenting the sound. This is similar to the loudness war in music.

From a personal standpoint, I initially thought that fmod sounded better than OpenAL but having now got used to the differences, I prefer the cleaner, lighter, crisper un-postprocessed sound of OpenAL to that of fmod.
Yes. You are all right. I now KNOW that shittiest terry-wads have LOUD sounds and music when you use a door, or when you go to the next area.
SGT_Roozy_V

Post by SGT_Roozy_V »

hairylegs222 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51
Enjay wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 19:10 hairylegs. you might be interested in this thread...

It says I'm not allowed to view that forum, even when signed in. What was it about?
Go switch your IP address and DNS servers. Maybe helps you. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-14.html :D
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

hairylegs222 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 Is there something planned in regards to this? I really hope so :)

No. FMod is gone forever and will remain so.
The main differences between both libraries is that FMod's output is a bit louder and somewhat processed (i.e. an artificial bass boost which the user cannot control.) but that's really it.
hairylegs222

Post by hairylegs222 »

Graf Zahl wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 15:32
hairylegs222 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 Is there something planned in regards to this? I really hope so :)

:( :( :( :( :( !!!!!!!
SGT_Roozy_V

Post by SGT_Roozy_V »

hairylegs222 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 23:20
Graf Zahl wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 15:32

:( :( :( :( :( !!!!!!!
Don't worry.

Return to “Off-Topic”