Lizardcommando's mods journal

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Well, this is an actual update regarding Pokestein 3D (A Wolfenstein 3D mod).

I got my ass in gear on Sunday and I finally finished all the Episode 2 maps for Pokestein 3D. Hooray! 20 maps done! ...40 more maps to go...

On top of making the maps, I still need someone to help with my coding. I haven't had any luck hiring anyone, but if there's someone who's interested and has fairly decent knowledge, PLEASE let me know as soon as possible via Email (just check the profile for it)! The faster I get a coder, the sooner I can get a 1 - 3 Episode demo of this game out and of course the eventual Full Version.
GentryXaties

Post by GentryXaties »

Just read the update, and while I'm used to seeing the ultra-realistic (In 3-D, and you can smell the cordite...), the cartoonish style you use is definitely pretty neat too. Although I still wonder if anybody will ever take me up on doing a fully comic-book style mod for Doom, ie., hand-drawing and scanning the original D1 and/or D2 textures.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

You know what? Screw the dehacked shit. The only reason why i wanted to use Dehacked in the first place for the "lite edition" was so I could play this thing on Skulltag.

Since Skulltag will apparently have DECORATE support in the next version, I may as well scrap that whole "lite version" of ICD-LIZARD-ZD. So once the new version Skulltag is released, I will get back to work on this project.

EDIT: Alright, here's an actual update instead of some filler crap.

Pokestein 3D is in temporary hiatus once again until I can get a coder to help me. Now that's out of the way, here's an update for ICD-LIZARD-ZD.

I am fiddling around with DECORATE and I must say that it's pretty cool. It's still tricky but I'm sure I can get used to it. I made the Combat Knife and Katana graphics yesterday and I finished it today along with the coding with help from Marty Kirra (thanks again, dude.). Anyways, now I have a problem. Ok, so the weapons work but for some reason, I can't seem to select the knife when i start out. What's going on? Also, I edited the pistol so that it would be semi-automatic, but for some reason, it still acts like the old Doom pistol. What's up with that?

Another question I have is how do I edit what kind of stuff you start with? I don't know if that really makes much sense, but I want to fix how much ammo you start out with and stuff. This stuff can also be done in DECORATE, right?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Alright, I have good news and bad news:

The good news is that I have finished the graphics for both the Akimbo SMG's and the RPG-7. Now onto the bad news:

Ok, For some reason, whenever I accidentally hold down the fire button on my .45 Pistol and RPG-7, the game freezes up. I want the weapons to be semi-automatic. I don't get what's going on. I followed that tutorial on how to make semi-automatic weapons, but I'm not having any luck with them. Also, I don't start out with the Combat Knife and my .45 Pistol. I only start out with the regular Doom pistol only. Please help me.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I think I might need to delete the semi-automatic tutorial because it's crappy and obsolete anyway =P

The trick for semi-auto weapons would be the +NOAUTOFIRE flag, not some clever trickery with the Hold state.

Also, you can't change the starting weapons merely by using the Replaces keyword on the pistol and fist. You can either follow the Global Defense Initiative, Part 2 tutorial (explains LOADACS) or you can create a custom player class (not sure how to do this as I have never experimented with it before).
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ah ok. Thanks for your help man. I'll go look into that tutorial you mentioned.

I have a question about that LOADACS tutorial. Do you have to use that ACC tool or can you do it manually with Notepad/Wordpad?

Ok, I have another question regarding the semi-auto fire script. I put in that +NOAUTOFIRE tag, but when I tested it out, I was still able to hold down the fire button on the pistol and RPG-7. Did I forget something?

Here's the coding for it too.

Code: Select all

ACTOR .45Pistol : Weapon replaces Pistol
{
   +NOAUTOFIRE
   	Obituary "%o was capped by %k's trusty ol' .45." 
   AttackSound "weapons/pistol"
   Weapon.ammotype "Clip"
   Weapon.AmmoUse 1 
   Weapon.SelectionOrder 200
   States
   {
   Ready:
      PISG A 1 A_WeaponReady
      Loop
   Deselect:
      PISG A 1 A_Lower
      Loop
   Select:
      PISG A 1 A_Raise
      Loop
   Fire: 
      PISG B 2 A_JumpIfNoAmmo(1)
      PISG C 2 A_GunFlash
      PISG D 2
      PISG E 2
      PISG C 2
      PISG B 1
      PISG A 0 A_Refire
      Goto Ready
   Flash:
      PISF A 2 BRIGHT A_FireBullets(3,2,1,10,0,1,0)
      stop
  } 

}

ACTOR RPG-7 : Weapon replaces RocketLauncher
{
   +NOAUTOFIRE
   Inventory.Pickupmessage "You got the RPG-7!"
   	Obituary "%o explosered from %k's RPG."
   AttackSound "weapons/rpgshot"
   Weapon.AmmoType "Rocketammo" 
   Weapon.SelectionOrder 500
   Weapon.AmmoGive 2
   Weapon.AmmoUse 1 
   Weapon.Kickback 35 
   States
   {
   Spawn:
      RPGL A -1
      LOOP 
   Ready:
      RPG7 A 1 A_WeaponReady
      Loop
   Deselect:
      RPG7 A 1 A_Lower
      Loop
   Select:
      RPG7 A 1 A_Raise
      Loop
   Fire: 
      RPG7 A 0 A_JumpIfNoAmmo(1)
      RPG7 B 2 A_PlayWeaponSound("weapons/rpg7")
      RPG7 C 3 BRIGHT
      RPG7 D 3 BRIGHT
      RPG7 E 3 BRIGHT A_FireCustomMissile("Rocket",0,1,4,2)
      RPG7 F 2
      RPG7 G 7
      RPG7 H 3
      RPG7 I 3
      RPG7 J 10
      RPG7 J 15 A_PlayWeaponSound("weapons/rpgload1")
      RPG7 J 12 A_PlayWeaponSound("weapons/rpgload2")
      RPG7 K 3
      RPG7 L 3
      RPG7 A 0 A_Refire
      Goto Ready
  } 

}
I have another question again. How do I change the spreadfire on my SMG and Dual SMGs?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You can write the script with Notepad, but you must compile it using ACC before ZDoom will run the scripts within.

As for your spreadfire dilemma, that's easily done using the first two numbers in A_FireBullets.

Code: Select all

A_FireBullets(3,2,1,7,0,1)
The first number is X-Spread (how wide the firing arc is), and the second is Y-Spread (which ought to be less than the first number because that makes it easier to hit most ground targets).
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

So that piece of coding you posted up was just for the SMG stuff right? It didn't deal with the Pistol?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The piece of coding was merely an example to follow.

I just now noticed that you also had problems with your pistol - to make the Noautofire work, you have to remove the A_Refire command from the weapon. Now, the thing with that is that without the refire, your weapon is going to be 100% accurate all the time - to fix this, change the third number in A_FireBullets from a 1 to a -1 (1 bullet, but it's always inaccurate). To compensate you might want to minimize the accuracy parts to make sure the player can still hit things.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ah alright. I'll go fix that right now.

Now, aside from the problem that Wildweasel pointed out, everything seems to be in working order. So, I'll be posting up some screenshots from my Episode 1-run with the newest weapons (except for the knife).

I'll probably fix up this graphic a bit... Looks damn cool in action though!

The RPG-7. It was a big pain in the ass to draw, but it looks good in action.

Oooh, you can dual-weild SMGs! They drain your ammo real fast, so watch that trigger finger of yours!

I dunno why I didn't get a picture of the Combat Knife in action... But, it does have a Secondary Attack, which is a fast slashing motion. The Primary Attack is a stab. It's stronger, but it's a bit slow whereas the Secondary Attack is fast, but a tad bit weaker.
Last edited by lizardcommando on Sun Aug 20, 2006 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Alter »

Nice cartoon style graphics :) combat knife looks cool!
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Oh, you're talking about this Combat Knife right? :p

The left side is the Primary Attack, the stab. The Right side is the Secondary Attack, the slash.

I have another DECORATE related question. How do you make only the secondary attack semi-automatic?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Use the +NOAUTOFIRE as normal, but add the A_Refire command at the end of the primary attack so that ZDoom makes it repeat.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Ah, ok. Thanks for your help again.

So what do you think of the new screenshots so far?
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

The new screens are great. I think the blue on the handle of the sword needs to be changed to a different color, but that's a minor pet-peeve. Any plans on making weapons reload?

Return to “Development Journals”