Post Your Intros Here

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Re: Post Your Intros Here

Post by KeksDose »

So yeah, I'm (more or less) new around these forums. I thought:"Why not just register here?". And, um, yeah, now I'm here. I've seen some GREAT modders out there, so I started DooM editing. I mostly make special-effects, sometimes with just one sprite. I can map and code some what very good now. Just have to improve some minor things.

I love sport: Tae-Kwon-Do, swimming, running, jumping, etc, etc, etc.

So, hell yeah, HI DRD FORUMZZZ!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well...Hi I'm new! XD

I have a Bad...Really BAD english ¬¬

I'm mapper, lazy, modder of other Doom Forum, not too participating, Doom Fan (Ohhh) and Marvel Fan...oh, wrong forum² XD

So, hi for everyone! :)
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

So, what about ... err, hi, welcome to DRD Team =D Enjoy your stay and try to keep active, but according to your post count and how many times I saw a "Pyro" on the latest post, I think it won't be a problem, right? =D And I almost thought every single thread ends with me X_X
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

KeksDose wrote: And I almost thought every single thread ends with me X_X
Hahahahaahahahhaha XD

So, The end of threads love you or whatever! XD
Asteroidsmastuh

My intro

Post by Asteroidsmastuh »

Hey, I'm asteroidsmastuh, but that's kinda long so, I don't mind being called asteroids or whatever floats your boat.

I'm a big Doom fan, and am putting effort into teaching myself editing Doom, but that's kinda hard so, I'm not very good at all. :(

I'm also experimenting with things like Flash, but even still, I have to teach myself, so I suck. Can't wait until I'm better at all this stuff. :D
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Welcome to DRD Astero...ish-thingy...ehhm...*gets an English wordbook* Asteroidsmastuh, welcome to DRD. Finally I'm not the only one which uses flash (or pivot maybe)! =D Teaching yourself is easy (I learned Decorate, GLDefs and Mapinfo in one week, easy).
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I'm new, but that dosen't mean i'm new to doom editing. I have ACS and DECORATE skills, as well as general editing skills. This should be shown by my uac: invaison project, a project I am working on.

And I do not really bring insanity.
riki

Post by riki »

My name is Ian Chipman, aka Riki, author of Map 30 Plus and The Overcoming (both available on idgames). I've been playing Doom and tinkering with editors for 12 years. (I'm 24 now.) I wish I had more dedication to crank out more (and better) Doom levels, lol. But then again, I'm also struggling to finish up college for my computer science degree, and I spend too much time on YouTube.

I'm curious as to what makes a really great ZDoom level or episode, and what other Doomers expect out of a new Doom level now. I'll have to show you my future work on the Projects forum sometime.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Welcome, Riki! (You wouldn't happen to have gotten your name from the Nekketsu High School series, would you?)

As for what makes a really good ZDoom map: less cutscenes, more action (or if there are cutscenes, at least let the player skip them); try not to bog the player down with too many meaningless puzzles or item hunts (Knee Deep in ZDoom Z1M3 and pretty much the entirety of Hexen are great examples of what not to do), and it never hurts to have an original architectural style. E1 tributes are nice and all, but when's the last time you ever saw a Doom map take place inside an Egyptian pyramid, or across several floors of a towering skyscraper, all the way up to the roof?
riki

Post by riki »

wildweasel wrote:Welcome, Riki! (You wouldn't happen to have gotten your name from the Nekketsu High School series, would you?)

As for what makes a really good ZDoom map: less cutscenes, more action (or if there are cutscenes, at least let the player skip them); try not to bog the player down with too many meaningless puzzles or item hunts (Knee Deep in ZDoom Z1M3 and pretty much the entirety of Hexen are great examples of what not to do), and it never hurts to have an original architectural style. E1 tributes are nice and all, but when's the last time you ever saw a Doom map take place inside an Egyptian pyramid, or across several floors of a towering skyscraper, all the way up to the roof?
Thanks for the advice--you rule. XD It's starting to inspire me in a new direction: I think I will try to work on action-oriented or puzzle-minimal survival horror levels small enough for 8-player DM but big enough to keep things interesting in SP and coop.

btw, "Riki" is a cool Japanese name. Nekketsu High School, Battle Royal High School, and SaGa Frontier all have cool characters named "Riki", so I decided to pick that.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

And for some diversity in opinion, I'll also add that well done puzzles are fine every now and then, and even the odd highly complex one (so one or two in a megawad, say) can be very good for your map(sets). As a personal thing though, action is my favourite thing.

People have a tendancy to go on about the looks of levels, but as far as I'm concerned, if you've made it look good, or at least passable, it doesn't need to have loads of sectors and lines in it.
.+:icytux:+.
Stronghold Team

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

WAZZZAAAAAHHH!!! :D

im... new!! :o

to this forum... people might have seen me on the zdoom forums...

i think i have quite good mapping skills, if your intrested you can see if you find hellkeep on the zdoom forums... tough thats a old thingy i have made but im very proud of myself... for more newer creations you probably have to wait for zpack to be released... (me have made 4 or more of teh maps there XD) me brings chaos to forums that dont like people who posts quite a lot :P
my weakness is probably gameplay... im not that good on making nice gampley, my maps are hard and rough... trying to avoid that lately. gets bored of the booring: "boom, tatatatatata AAAARGHH!!" maps :D

and thats about my doom history.. :P welcome to the world ladies!! :tongue:
BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Hi, I'm BaronOfStuff, and as usual, I've gone and done things the wrong way round ("Ima post somewhere else on the boards, THEN say 'hi'!").

Call me what you will, as long as I can tell it's directed at me (so obviously that'll be 'Baron', 'Stuff', or more bizarrely, 'Of'. Possibly).

(Bad traits: I've got a really bad habit of spewing over every topic (no matter how old) in my first week or so of joining, just to voice my opinion. Usually killing the topic in the process at the same time.)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome to the forums lads!
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Hi, I'm old.
Very Old.

I'm one of the DRDteam founders, Doom player addicted to this game since Shareware came out in Poland. Mapping for Doom since 2000 (no achievements whatsoever). Some minor skills in ACS / Decorate and such things (enough to get me where I'd like to be).

So, I'd like to officially say Hi to everyone, and welcome you as one of the DRD.

Return to “General”