Introducing new Doom port - GZDoom!

Main drdteam.org news.
[Home] [Hosted & External Links]
grubber
Site Founder

Introducing new Doom port - GZDoom!

Post by grubber »

Let me introduce this impressive-looking ZDoom-based port: it's been made by Graf Zahl, have fast-running OpenGL renderer and 3D floors! You can also load/play Legacy/Vavoom maps using it. Visit the official page hosted here at drdteam.org for more info, download and editing docs.

Screenshot showing TNT:LE in GZDoom
Last edited by grubber on Fri Jun 09, 2006 13:30, edited 2 times in total.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Oh great! It just goes to show ya that detail and graphics are now zdoom's top priority even more! Now we'll be playing quake!

:(
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

Better read more about something before flaming it ;).
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

To quote Scuba Steve:
I've been playing the same shit for 11 years. Give me the graphics
;)

EDIT: Chrono,please refrain from emotional prejudices and give reasons for Your peronsal opinion next time :)
Last edited by Paul on Thu Sep 01, 2005 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you don't care about graphics, how about running some large and detailed maps with a significantly higher frame rate?
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

Chronoteeth wrote:Oh great! It just goes to show ya that detail and graphics are now zdoom's top priority even more! Now we'll be playing quake!

:(
Play ZDoom if you don't like it. Last I checked this wasn't part of the official port.

The band shall now express just how much they think GZDoom rocks:
:bandg: :bandv: :bandd:
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Hobbs wrote:The band shall now express just how much they think GZDoom rocks:
:bandg: :bandv: :bandd:
Seconded.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

just a quick question guys...
Do you plan to add some kind of multiplayer support by making some sort of game launcher [like zdaemon and skulltag] ?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. This is mostly a straight GL port of ZDoom with a few added editing features.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Graf Zahl wrote:No. This is mostly a straight GL port of ZDoom with a few added editing features.
:( :( :( :(

Damn It looked so promising..

well keep up the good work.
Agent Spork

Post by Agent Spork »

This is neat. It can run some of my old crappy Legacy wads (NOTE: That is in no way, shape, or form a bash in Legacy's direction. It is, however, a bash of my own early creations). I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Slasher wrote:Damn It looked so promising..
It is promising. Just because it's not intended to be a multiplayer dedicated engine like the ones you mention doesn't mean it's not promising. It's already added 3D floors to Zdoom (something that's been asked for, for years now) and it will be able to handle other suitable OpenGL enhancements too (dynamic lights are already in). And it can play maps for Legacy and Vavoom, and work may be done on that to improve the handling. Not to be sniffed at.

And who knows? Maybe someone else will use it as a base for a multi-player engine at some point in the future. To me that seems a logical and promising extension of the port.
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

And no one seems to notice that this port (yes, this is based on my personal experience and is my opinion) is simply the best at emulating the quirky bugs of the good ol' Doom renderer.

This means that level effects such as deep water (used noticably in tnt.wad) work, the shotgunner bunker type things on map04 of Doom2.wad (the opening and closing doors), the effect used to 'trap' the arachnotrons on tnt.wad map31 aswell as many other weird effects that have been achieved over the years.

It's also one of the fastest GL ports I've used and is the only one which is playable on Deus Vult map 05.

This is more than promising my friends.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It still doesn't handle Strain MAP21 or Sludgfac.wad properly. I still haven't found an approach to handle that trick efficiently... :(
AlysiumX

Very Nice Indeed

Post by AlysiumX »

This is very awesome work you guys... it is kind of a shame it wont be multi though... just think, playing deathmatch with true 3d floors in an engine that is as stable as skulltag or zdaemon, of course if that were ever to happen there would probably be no need any engine but this one... you do get those niffty powerups in skulltag though so i guess not. anyways, cool work guys now i have an engine i can play all kinda wads on. :)

Return to “News”