Very large city map

Talk about our & your projects.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Reinchard wrote:About trees - I have dilemma. Street can't be wider because I decided to hold on true sizes. I know, this looking little strange, but I don't want remove trees.
I agree that you should not remove the trees and should not widen the street - I just mentioned them as possible solutions, and not necessarily good solutions. And I only brought up the tree-clipping as a minor issue. Don't give it a second thought.
If I make two versions of wad: one with low res nad second with high-resoultion textures, then I will have make two different maps, with different textures X Y coordinates. Double work.
Maybe if I remove some not necessarily textures, I will reduce size of wad to 90-80 MB. I hope, this will be no problem to you guys, if you want download it.

IS IT?
Don't make a second (and in your opinion, inferior) version if it is not going to meet your standards and expectations. I think that most people who download your game will be doing so to be wowed by your texture work and the realism of the map. Making something that will be less realistic and lower in quality may be a turn-off.

As for the file size, yes you should definitely remove unnecessary resources. But don't do it if it will sacrifice the overall quality of your game. People are quite used to large downloads, so that should not stop you either.
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Thanks, you calm me down. I regret that on beginning of works on this map I knew not much about high res textures and I spended many hours in Doom Builder with calculator and placed X and Y of all textures by hand... Today I would spare me many work (and many many time). Ok, i'm back to Doom Builder - before me yet many hours of work...
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

I agree with Enjay, leave the textures hi res, and download will be worth it, hell the wad looks like a visual feast, so why sacrifice it(and many hours of your time) for a slightly faster download, In my opinion 80-90 megs downloads at the same speed as 100-120 megs, so while I'm downloading, I'll just go train parkour for a while, simple as that!(my connection plays up so I'd have a while to train! :D )
It's Arma-goddamn-M*****ing-geddon.
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Ok, so I decided leave this damn textures :D
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Before premiere one more short film, showing this map in action. I give link to file, becouse Youtube reduces quality.
http://www.speedyshare.com/453368143.html
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

after seeing the trailer for this, it knocked me over. Good work! The only thing I can suggest is add more monsters. This would make a nice slaughter map.
Jannak

Post by Jannak »

Janitor wrote:after seeing the trailer for this, it knocked me over. Good work! The only thing I can suggest is add more monsters. This would make a nice slaughter map.
Well especially from the Beastiary which you could grab all or most of the monsters that are appropriate for it.
Zackin5

Post by Zackin5 »

Wow, this is looking great! Like Mortarion said last page, this seem like a good map for a zombie invasion.
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Is july, but I still can upload this wad. I fight with sidedefs limit and now I replace lots of furniture sectors with 3d models. This look more realistic and give me much more sidedefs to build more and more flats.

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

That is one kick-ass fridge.
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

IMO, this mod would look cool with some new more realistic guns like an M16 and a baretta. maybe I'll play this with a gun mod when you release it
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I love trainyards. Lots of cover...until somebody crawls under what you're using for cover and caps you in the legs. =P
Janitor
Persecution Complex

Post by Janitor »

man, this is gunna kill my computer :(

at least now I have a good reason to upgrade that isn't Doom 3. :cheers:
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Haha, yeah, You have a reason :D

Return to “Projects”