what shold it be?

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

sykesccorp

what shold it be?

Post by sykesccorp »

i only have one question and its about what should the weapon that defeats the final boss cause i wouldnt have any clue im keeping all the origanal weapons such as bfg and ssg the new weapon will be in key slot 8 and it deals 10000 damage each hit but the ammo only gives one shot cause you have to fight the boss for ages
one: i need gfx
two: i need an idea
three: i need food :D
if anyon could help me thatll be great
Mr. Mistoffelees

Post by Mr. Mistoffelees »

Whoa, hold on there! I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. Are you wanting ideas for a weapon that does 10,000 damage per shot, and only has one ammo unit at a time? If so, do NOT do a nuke, as that has been done to death. I don't think I would mind it so much, seeing as I'm somewhat new to the Doom community, but from what I have read here and at Doomworld, you'll risk being flayed alive if you don't have something totally unexpected and VERY WELL IMPLEMENTED. Which leaves me out, right? :D

Hmm... I personally would suggest some sort of hellish/alien weapon, perhaps a shrinker. You could also go with something like Hexen's Wraithverge (don't copy it exactly, use your imagination), where you don't have a single shot that does 10,000 damage, but 10 shots that do 1,000 damage, or something like that. Wild Weasel's Diaz mod has a BFG replacement that I very much recommend for you to reference: it shoots several semi-homing (at least, in the version I have) green "lasers". Multiple projectiles rather than a single projectile/shot. If you can get permission, his graphics for that same gun are VERY nice, as well. Might want to "shop around" for graphics, though, if you really want your weapon to BE yours. I personally am content to code, and use other peoples' graphics: JUST DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE CREDIT! Leaving out credit is probably the biggest no-no in anything you do.

Good luck!
-Mr. Mistoffelees

P.S. I have to ask... can you PLEASE work on your writing? It is very hard to understand your post. Thanks, and good luck again on your weapon!
Mr. Mistoffelees

Oh wait! It just hit me. There was this mod years ago that had a weapon called "The Blessed Engine". It will take you quite a while to implement something similar, though. What the Blessed Engine did was make using the weapon a gamble: you had a 50/50 chance of a one-shot-kill, OR of leaving the target invulnerable! What made the Blessed Engine interesting was that any enemies that were killed with it went into random death sequences (IF I'm remembering correctly). THAT would make your weapon not only useful, but extremely fun to use, if you never knew what would kill the victim. For example, at one point an anvil crushes the victim, another time they get sliced in two, and yet another time they get frozen, shrunk, or simply explode! It will take quite a lot to make/get graphics for so many death sequences, but you will certainly have a unique weapon!

Now to find out where I left my brain...

Cheers!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
sykesccorp

Post by sykesccorp »

i think i found it in the corner :P

anyway i was thinking something like the soul cube but not for as thats been done. and i was not thinking of a nuke cause yea my freinds done that and my god does it lag its fun tho it suites the wad greatly but anyway yea something anceint

and im sorry if you guys dont understand my posts cause its pretty hard every time for me as i have a mild dislecsia :( allwell :D
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Ahh, the Blessed Engine! That was a work of genius for its day, I must admit. As is the rest of the stuff they made.
Mr. Mistoffelees

Oh dear... dyslexia? My sincerest apologies, sykesccorp. I hope I didn't hurt your feeling; it's just there are so many people who DON'T have any problems yet write like... well, anyway, you probably know what I mean. I know a bit about mental disease, since I have class 2 schizophrenia, so you are actually doing quite well. Leave it to me to make a fool of myself! :P

*ahem*

Getting back to the subject of weaponry, it sounds like you have already got a good idea of the general nature of your new gun. This Wikipedia link might give you some more ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_gun

Now THAT'S what I call "going out with style!"

Take care!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
sykesccorp

Post by sykesccorp »

lol no one hurts my fellings cause i know that some people write like i do to be dickheads or even because they are lazy all well

man that gun brings some (magor)? ideas into my mind
my warped little mind anyway :P thanks for all the help guys and you will most likely see a relly good gun but also you may not :D depends if i can be arsed making it and also finding out how to make it :P
Mr. Mistoffelees

Well, sykesccorp, you know what they say: "Practice makes perfect." If your weapon isn't perfect the first time around, just keep it up and you'll get it someday! Still, judging from your desire to obtain ideas and advice, I do not think that someone who seems as commited as you will turn out anything less than quality releases. I'm (not so) busily typing up descriptions for the weapons in my upcoming tech demo/weapon mod for EDGE 1.29, and I have about 33 weapons after 4+ years of working. I have gone through about 70+ weapons, though, as I make a prototype, fix it, fix it again, add some effects, alter it, and then decide it's boring and start a new gun. :lol: The most important thing is not to listen to imbeciles who try and trash your stuff *out of hand*. I have been modding Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II since late 1997, and I have only seen ONE case out of about 200 different releases where repeated criticisms were warranted. This poor, silly person kept releasing gigantic boxes as levels over and over, while ignoring sensible advice like "800 stormtrooper in a single room is NOT a good design choice". By the third level released by this person, many people were understandably upset, but *only because it was evident that this author didn't even care enough for his own stuff to improve it!* You most certainly do NOT strike me as such a person, so I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your future accomplishments!

-Mr. Mistoffelees

P.S. Which port, if any, are you going to use to make this weapon? EDGE, ZDoom, GZDoom, Vanilla Doom? The port you decide to use will heavily influence *how* you implement the weapon. As near as I can tell, ZDoom and GZDoom are extremely powerful and can do much more complicated things than EDGE currently can. However, EDGE is EXTREMELY quick and easy to work with, add revisions to, and so forth, and I have been able to jerry-rig stuff that acts much like what the other ports can do. Still, if you want changing ammo types or things like that, you should probably go with ZDoom/GZDoom. To my knowledge, such things ARE possible with EDGE, but you would have to implement different weapons and some scripting that would give/select one and remove the others from the player's inventory.
sykesccorp

Post by sykesccorp »

whoa!! 33 weapons!!
im going to use the gzdoom port and im not going to give up even tho its hard for me to do it so far i am making the projectile it loooks good so far :D
Mr. Mistoffelees

Well, hopefully 33 GOOD weapons. I'm especially partial to four or five of them, and about 20 or so are passable. Considering how new I am to Doom modding, I'll probably have one of the more expert modders come through and flay my mod up one side and down the other, though. That's one reason I decided to change its classification to more of a "tech demo", since I really just wanted all sorts of toys available all at once, and haven't gone through the process of, say, putting Doomguy's hands on many of the weapons. We will see what happens, though: I just finished the .TXT document listing the weapons, the stories behind them, uses, and secrets. If everything goes well and all, I am hoping to release the mod in the next week or two. Next week can't be a guarantee because I have test in Statistics and Heat Transfer (I'm TRYING to become a mechanical engineer. Pretty fun when I'm building or designing stuff, since it's like working with the ULTIMATE Lego kit! Some parts are as boring as anything else, though.)

You certainly have my admiration if you're tackling GZDoom. I've never tried anything other than EDGE, since it was pretty much a "love at first modding session" experience. :D Just keep working at it and ask questions of people like Wild Weasel who know GZDoom well.

Take care!
-Mr. Mistoffelees
NeoWorm

Post by NeoWorm »

Unmaker?

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”