Multitexturing

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Hellraiser777

Multitexturing

Post by Hellraiser777 »

Yes, I said multitexturing.

Graf already has shaders within DooM; in forms of Dynamic lighting, warping floors, ect, ect. But how about some multitexturing shaders?

Multitexturing is basicly like.. bumpmapping, specular textures (shine), shader effects. ZDooMGL was working on this, and IIRC, GZDooM uses ZDooMGL's rendering engine, just heavily modified. So can this be done or not?

This could really enhance the DooM engine even further. And give a sense of depth which isn't really there. Also can be turnt on / off via OpenGL options menu.. and possibly open up a whole new mapping community by it self.

.. and no, I'm not a coder, I just know some things.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Multitexturing

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hellraiser777 wrote: , and IIRC, GZDooM uses ZDooMGL's rendering engine, just heavily modified.

No, it doesn't. The engines are completely different.

Regarding this suggestion, I have to clearly state that I am not a graphics programmer. I can manage the simple purely technical stuff but when it comes to advanced graphics handling I'm sorry but I definitely need some help. I neither have the time nor desire to learn this stuff.

The shader implementation should be able to handle this though with a little extensions.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Now we need just a volunteer ;)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I'm willing to even pay the programmer who steps in and helps Graf Zahl. I'm dead serious about this. GZDoom is my most favourite engine ever, even if there are plenty of better options out there. Unreal Engine 3, Darkplaces, etc -- my computer has the capabilities to run and mod for those in full spec, but I keep coming back to GZDoom because it's just so awesome and easy to realize my ideas in it.

Heh I got carried away. Sorry about that. But I really mean everything I said above though.
.+:icytux:+.
Stronghold Team

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

having something like this implemented would be awesome, and i would do everything i can to help. its just that i cant do very much, but i truly hope someone with experience of doing this will step up.
DaniJ

Post by DaniJ »

Well, I'll be implementing this sort of thing in Doomsday for 1.9.0-beta7 so you (Graf) are more than welcome to take a look once its done but I get the impression that problem is not a lack of example code and documentation, rather a simple lack of time and/or interest.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lack of time and the necessity to make it work with all the different situations the renderer can be in. Thanks to the multitude of effects it's not that easy to properly implement multitexturing effects

I wish I had the opportunity to spend a few days on such a thing without interrupted by work. But somehow I need to earn a living, too... :(
DaniJ

Post by DaniJ »

Yeah, such a thing is most definitely not simple. After a fair bit of research I've pretty much settled on a schema that stores a snapshot of the state for all world surfaces (includes stuff like interpolated material rotations, blended animations, etc etc). This snapshot drills down as low as near-native OpenGL commands (and names of pre-prepared shaders if used) as far as possible.

This kind of approach is (by no coincidence) the most complicated to implement but it means that drawing the world is as simple as traversing the BSP and executing the GL commands for the visible surfaces. However, careful attention must be paid to ensure that the command lists (not necessarily a GL display list depending on the implementation and renderer specific details) do not interfere with the renderer-global GL state (in Doomsday's case this is made easier by the use of a draw-list-like approach, rather than direct mode drawing).

The biggest drawback of this approach is the increased memory requirements.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

WadaHolic wrote: It looks like we're falling behind.

Umm...

Doom is 'behind' by 15 or so years... :mrgreen:

Honestly, I already clarified my position on this earlier. It's not for lack of desire that this is not going to happen but it definitely is something I'd have to commit to full time, first to learn advanced GL programming and then redoing the engine to handle all this.

But I also have to earn a living and Doom is not doing that so the time I spend on it is inevitably limited by more pressing needs. So unless someone else volunteers to help me improve the engine the status quo is most likely not going to change for the foreseeable future.
Dethernal

Post by Dethernal »

I'm trying to add support for custom shaders. So far, wrote half a parser for GLDEFS, but once everything goes smoothly, maybe I was even able to finish the job.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Woah...
Are those from EDuke? or something else? If I may ask.
dark-slayer-201

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

wowah, those screens make duke3d pwn the doom graphics.
if it is eduke, i must download again.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

It's the new renderer for EDuke32 2.0, "Polymer".
dark-slayer-201

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

if this render method can be added to gz, i will bow to your feet.
but if it does, there may have to be another app called gzdoomadv
but the texture stuff would have to be customized in gldefs per map or global
as soon as rt lighting gets added or even if multitexturing will be re-considered on being added, i will be off making bumpmaps for the hires textures

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”