Plane Reflections on 3D floors

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Plane Reflections on 3D floors

Post by Alter »

Well. I'm suggesting it because it may provide interesting results. Mainly realistic reflective water. The biggest gripe I have with this so far that i can't set Sector_SetPlaneReflection on control sectors at all which proves to be annoying. What i request is. Is to being able to put Sector_SetPlaneReflection on 3D floor control sectors. Including water ones.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Re: Plane Reflections on 3D floors

Post by solarsnowfall »

I wonder how costly putting a reflection on a translucent surface would be...
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

It would probably be pretty costly, and I think some cards wouldn't even be able to handle it.

But I know other games have pulled it off. So maybe it's not that bad...
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Plane reflections are already very laggy on my card. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like drawn on a 3d floor lol
though, that doesn't alter the fact it would be cool.

Post by Alter »

True, it is a cool feature but it would be needed to used as less as possible because much people would'nt play it :mrgreen:
Well, it popped in my head yesterday when i was playing HL2, tried to implement it in Xenus 3 but could'nt so suggested it, WARP2 is enough for me so far haha.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Anything is possible, and taking ideas from HL2 certainly isn't out of the question... but I do strongly believe that it's leagues away from what Graf is aiming for right now with the renderer, and probably won't be seen anytime in the near future. I'm not going to speak for Graf here, but I am seeing an almost definite "No."

Post by Alter »

SoulPriestess wrote:Anything is possible, and taking ideas from HL2 certainly isn't out of the question... but I do strongly believe that it's leagues away from what Graf is aiming for right now with the renderer, and probably won't be seen anytime in the near future. I'm not going to speak for Graf here, but I am seeing an almost definite "No."
Who says he should do it now? Of course, the renderer is not flexible enough yet for this kind of stuff. Maybe in next 3-4 years we'll something like that, making an OGL renderer for this kind of crazy stuff, may take that much
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Well, Graf did say he might implement basic material support into the new renderer. Who knows, maybe one day modders can attach shader effects to certain materials or textures?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I'd say don't quote me on that, but I was already quoted. :P

Anyway, I'm just going on what I think - I could, obviously, be wrong.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, the plane reflection code already has its share of problems and I don't intend to extend it in any way for that reason.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”