Eternity-like portals?

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Eternity-like portals?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok, that's easily taken care of. It just should not call Super::BeginPlay. It's a different native class for a reason, after all... ;)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I still don't understand how these "new features" offer any advantage/ease over what ZDoom already has allowed for a very long time.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

They don't. They are only there for compatibility reasons. If you ask me, Eternity's skybox implementation is utterly flawed and inconvenient to use.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Couldn't find a better way to work with the Doom map format. No TID, remember? Only one arg per special (the tag).
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

But for skyboxes? ZDoom's method placing one default skybox for the entire map is certainly much better than having to tag each single sector...
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Compatibility? What for? For Eternity maps? Why would anyone want to play an Eternity map in a ZDoom engine? I thought the entire system is so different from each other.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:Compatibility? What for? For Eternity maps? Why would anyone want to play an Eternity map in a ZDoom engine? I thought the entire system is so different from each other.
You can play rf-kerk and OPF in GZDoom. There is only one glitch with OPF because Eternity's linedef type 289 effect ("transfer portal to linedef") isn't supported; so instead of seeing the line horizons from the stacked sectors meld into a single one, you see big walls.

For De Kerker, you also need a little patch wad containing DECORATE stuff, among others.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”