XWE!

Need help with your project? Ask here.
yellowmadman

XWE!

Post by yellowmadman »

please someone, tell me there is a better program than XWE, or how to fix this because

IT DID IT AGAIN! IT JUST WENT AND F***ED EVERYTHING UP!

I was making a corridor 7 like wad, I dubbed it "corridor 8".

All I needed were some sounds, and I put them in and replaced them.

But what does XWE think about it? It thinks " Hey I'll just take every texture and f*** with its color pallette and make it show only raw data, make every sound the pistol sound, and why not delete some of the sprites and make them unviewable in doombuilder"

And now, oh this is the fun part, I try to run doom 2, nothing in it, and as I wait a half an hour, watching all the errors, cannot find, invalid messages constantly pop up every where.

Are the people who made XWE mentally retarded or something? Because thats how that f***ing program runs. Everything was fine, I replaced the sprites well, level design was very good. BUT NO! All that progress, GONE!
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: XWE!

Post by Gez »

Look for automatic backup files in the directory, you may be able to salvage your stuff.

Also, yes there is better than XWE. http://slade.mancubus.net/
yellowmadman

Post by yellowmadman »

Gez wrote:Look for automatic backup files in the directory, you may be able to salvage your stuff.

Also, yes there is better than XWE. http://slade.mancubus.net/
yeah, but I have a weird a$$ computer that cannot run things like DehackEd and slade, wintex, etc.

Seriously, using XWE is just so annoying, it litterally, does everything wrong.

I have yet to find a thing helpful it has done without completely screwing up one of my projects.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Help us help you. What happens when you try to run Slade? Because I'm getting a little sick of reading your scream-filled posts that don't actually help me figure out what to do to help solve your issues.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

yellowmadman wrote:Are the people who made XWE mentally retarded or something? Because thats how that f***ing program runs.
It's posts like that which make the people who write Doom editing tools and source ports say to themselves "well, fuck you then" and go away and stop contributing to the community.

Personally, I have never had XWE mess up a WAD, but I know other people have. If you can't run the programs that you mentioned for whatever reason, can you run DeePsea? Its WAD manipulation tools are not limited in the shareware version so you might be able to use that.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

And to add to what Enjay said, Doom is a small community. Authors can, and often do, browse random boards and see what people say about their projects. Yes, XWE has its share of issues but like Gez said, it keeps backups of your work. I'd very much like the insults against the authors of these programs to cease, if for no other reason than to acknowledge that people have spent time and work into these programs to make something that you are not required to make yourself, nor learn how to, and is even provided to you free of charge (they didn't make a penny for making that program). At the very least a little bit of respect will not hurt you in the slightest.

I'd make a wad manipulation program myself, but I know it would not be user-friendly - it'd be me-friendly, and because I like command line interfaces that's all it'd use. :P
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:Personally, I have never had XWE mess up a WAD, but I know other people have.
Same here. XWE doesn't do everything right, but it was a major part of my wad management "suite" for quite a long time.
Eruanna wrote:Authors can, and often do, browse random boards and see what people say about their projects.
I don't think Csabo is even working on XWE any more.

Really, working on something only to have people gripe about it has to be tiring... Why does this sound familiar?
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Csabo actually released the source code for XWE when he came to grip with the fact that he had effectively stopped working on it for too long.

Unfortunately, because it's written in a not-that-popular language, Delphi, nobody has stepped forward to replace him, so the program remains in the state it is, including the bugs.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:Csabo actually released the source code for XWE when he came to grip with the fact that he had effectively stopped working on it for too long.
True - however - I know if I were him, I'd still not like to see the kinds of comments that were posted in this thread. He *did* make a halfway decent program and just because you stop working on it doesn't give people the right to rip you a new one for a past contribution you made to the doom community. Just my 2 cents.

Could XWE be better? Definitely. Criticism won't do any good now, and I won't lie and say it's the best program I've ever used, but calling him mentally retarded is just way out of line, and certainly not justified.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Eruanna wrote:Could XWE be better? Definitely. Criticism won't do any good now, and I won't lie and say it's the best program I've ever used, but calling him mentally retarded is just way out of line, and certainly not justified.
This is my position as well. It's served me well for quite a long time. In fact, it is still very useful, as it supports quite a lot of different game data formats, all in one program.

Lately I've taken to Slade 3, and have been taking the time to - respectfully - actively role in helping make it better. (Through feedback pretty much... I fail at programming :P )
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “Editing Help”