Screenshot Discussion Thread

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

And I knew damn well not to go over 640x480, just slipped my mind.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Graf Zahl wrote:But somewhat off-topic. They certainly have no place in a thread that is supposed to show GZDoom's features.
So subtle use of 3D floors and palettized .pngs aren't GZDoom features then? My mistake...
Graf Zahl wrote:The screenshots thread is not supposed to be a gallery of crap.
Thanks very much... :?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sir_Alien wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:But somewhat off-topic. They certainly have no place in a thread that is supposed to show GZDoom's features.
So subtle use of 3D floors and palettized .pngs aren't GZDoom features then? My mistake...
It was certainly not recoginzable as such.
Thanks very much... :?
[/quote]

Tell me: What's so great about some pictures that show Hotwax's avatar inside a Doom level? Feel free to use such pictures in a thread where you advertise your project but in relation to the engine they have nothing interesting to offer.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Sir_Alien wrote:Thanks very much... :?
Tell me: What's so great about some pictures that show Hotwax's avatar inside a Doom level? Feel free to use such pictures in a thread where you advertise your project but in relation to the engine they have nothing interesting to offer.
I never said they were great. Nor was my "Thanks very much" statement supposed to be a challenge. I was just expressing my disappointment.

Also, I wasn't aware that the screenshots posted here had to show off all the bells and whistles of the port; I assumed it was simply a thread to show some shots of GZDoom in action:
Graf Zahl wrote:There you can post your own pictures if you like.
Those were the guidelines you specified. Also, I could point to a few screenshots in the thread that don't really offer anything more "interesting" than my first shot with Enjay.

And thanks for GZDoom, BTW.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/tqtrust2.jpg
:shock:
You sir (NJay), fucking win :thumb:
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

What a coincidence! I just downloaded Trust yesterday!

Enjay, can we have that modified version of Trust? Pretty pleeeeaase?? :)

PS: Trust seems to be broken in .96x. There's this part after you go up the freight elevator (or something like that) and emerge back to the surface outside. There's this area where an assasin attacks you. There's a huge door that's supposed to open, but nothing happens. I'd have to NOCLIP through the door. :/
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Enjay, can we have that modified version of Trust? Pretty pleeeeaase?? :)
Unfortunately, this modified version of Trust is part of a much bigger personal modification of all sorts of stuff. It would be a considerable amount of work to extract Trust and the various resources I have used in it. Also, the scripting has been changed considerably and even the story is quite different. Almost all the items, enemies, weapons, powerups etc have been modified and added to and repositioned to help balance the changes. Again it would be a lot of work to get this to work as a stand-alone version again. So, I don't plan on doing that any time soon (plus I'd have to seek permission to release it). However, I can easily extract the skybox textures and supporting lumps if anyone wanted to use them.
There's this part after you go up the freight elevator (or something like that) and emerge back to the surface outside. There's this area where an assassin attacks you. There's a huge door that's supposed to open, but nothing happens. I'd have to NOCLIP through the door. :/
OK, I just tried it with GZDoom and it worked for me. There is more than one assassin BTW. You kill one assassin which releases a second (who jumps at you from the top of the wall). When you kill him, another is released. Kill him, and another is released. Kill that one and another is released. Finally, killing the last one opens the door. The release mechanism is that killing an enemy runs a script that unblocks a blocked line and activates an enemy in a hidden sector. The enemy walks over a teleport line and is teleported to the top of the wall which is set to scroll and throw the enemy off the wall as if he has jumped down to attack you.

The only minor problem I had was the last guy dropped down very close to the wall and seemed to be stuck until I shot him. I tried 3 times and it happened that way every time.

Code: Select all

script 18 (int arg0)  
{
    switch(arg0)
    {
    case 1:
        Thing_Spawn(14, T_SHELLBOX, 0);
        setlineblocking(7, OFF);
        delay(const:30);
        Thing_Activate(11);
        break;
    case 2:
        setlineblocking(8, OFF);
        Thing_Activate(12);
        break;
    case 3:
        setlineblocking(9, OFF);
        Thing_Activate(13);
        break;
    case 4:
        Door_Open(3, 8);
        break;
    }
}
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay, conc. your shots: Are you going to change to GZDoom with Aspects?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Well, yes and no. Aspects is basically done (has been for some time now), but to me it really now forms a base game that I edit for like the rest of the world edits for Doom.

If I can't be bothered coming up with a map from scratch (which is quite often these days for a variety of (mainly) good reasons) I'll just DL something that takes my fancy and convert it. In fact I quite enjoy doing that. Seeing as how none of this is for general release, there's no harm done. However, I have decided that I will be doing this with GZDoom features as part of the process for the foreseeable future. Not least of the reasons is the ducking feature of GZdoom. One of the reasons I was especially keen for Graf to add ducking was that my friend - who I did Aspects for - was mobilising with the army and he likes to take some new stuff away with him. He had specifically requested some levels where ducking was incorporated into the gameplay. I was using a modified version of Zdoom 2.0.63a which Anonone kindly programmed for me, but I just kept looking enviously at all the spiffy GZdoom features that I couldn't add because I was tied to an older engine. So I sent an overly long PM to Graf explaining the above (and then some) and he kindly added the feature.

Longer term, yes, perhaps the whole project will be converted to use GZdoom features on the older maps too. In fact, I've made a bit of a start on that process, but I really wanted to get the newer levels sorted out so that my friend could take them away with him.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

That tunnel thing is most impressive. As are those cliffs by enjay, oh yes I have bad memories of those :)
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

http://forum.drdteam.org/files/doom0003_962.jpg
Dude, now I'm Seriously looking forward to Your project :D
justin023

Post by justin023 »

Thanks, I've put a lot into it.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Shame that Quake 2 crates really don't mix well with Doom crates... :(
justin023

Post by justin023 »

Maybe I will recolor them...

I recolored the textures for those lights.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

The Doom crates generally are a bit blocky/basic. The main body of them is just made up of one solid colour with a second colour to give them a bit of "grain". Now, whilst I love the Doom crate as much as the next guy, they can definitely be improved upon for a highly detailed mod like you are planning.

Return to “GZDoom”