Doom 64 II The Rising

Talk about our & your projects.
User avatar
Sniper 109
Ruining doom forums since '07
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 23:45
Location: Drivin' round in mah Honda Civic CRX Bitches

Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Sniper 109 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:52

This is an older project of mine one (once done) will always be remembered amongst doomers and doom64 fans.
__________________
Current Project status:
UAC base :
Map01 - Testing Facility - Fisk - 100%
Map02 - Grapherrez - Sniper 109 - 100%

Map03 - - Logan MTM
Map04 - Nukage Plant AlysiumX - 100%
Map05 - Captain Toenail - 100%
Map06 - - Wad'a'Holic - 100%

Map07 -
Map08 -

Map09 - water plant - snakez
Map10 - - Wad'a'Holic - 100%
Map11 - heresy - Sniper 109
Research Underground :
Map12 - Teleport Bay - Hardcore_Gamer - 95%
Map13 - The Dark Mines - Hardcore_Gamer - 65%
Map14 - Visage of Torment - Set Abominae
Map15 - Relic - Sniper109 - 24%
Map16 - Elements of the fourth world - Sniper109 - 0%
Map17 -
Map18 -
Map19 -
Map20 -

Hell :
Map21 - Halls of the dead - Fisk - 100%
Map22 - Asylum - Fisk - 30%
Map23 - hell anomaly's part1 - Hardcore_gamer & Sniper 109 - 23%
Map24 - hell anomaly's part2 - Hardcore_gamer & Sniper 109 - 0%
Map25 - hell anomaly's part3 - Hardcore_gamer & Sniper 109 - 0%

Map26 - GET - The doomfreak
Map27 - - Hardcore_Gamer -
Map28 - - Wad'a'Holic -
Map29 - - Wad'a'Holic -
Map30 - Snakez -
Map31 - Phobos Hanger - Sniper 109 - 0%
Map32 - staging area - Sniper 109 -0%

_____________
This wad picks up where doom64 left off.
Story:
Six months have passed since the fall of the mother demon, many many days keeping the demons at bay, you struggle helplessly along doing the one job no man should ever have to do. Your mission, keep hell from escaping not only to the world, but your wrath. As you stumble through hell you come upon a strange base, this base is not of hell but rather resembles a UAC base. You go to the lengths to check that your eye do not deceive you. You realize this could be a trick of the demons but they shall not have you so easily. Determine to destroy all demon life, you push yourself forward entering the seemingly abandon facility. As soon as you enter the door slams behind you, once again hell has you and the only way out is through!
______________
Screenshot
Image
There are more photo's but I don't feel like searching for all of them, you should be able to find some more on my Image shack page.
______________
We hope to release a demo sometime this month so please stay tuned!
______________
If you are Interested in Mapping Please pm me.We request that you submit a demo map (Kinda like a resume to see if you have what it takes).
Also this wad is for PRBOOM so please map in Boom format, we will reject your wad immediately if its in Doom in hexan format.

User avatar
Strife Toons
We live here in Strifedale.
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 19:25
Location: BOMBAY

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Strife Toons » Wed Oct 14, 2009 19:34

Image
the Stone Beast, from Blood, maybe slighty modified would be a very fitting new Boss, maybe the Alien King?

User avatar
AlysiumX
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 13:49
Contact:

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by AlysiumX » Thu Oct 15, 2009 18:50

Long time no see,

So hows this project going?

User avatar
wildweasel
Member, DRD Team
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 22:00
Location: the Admincave!
Contact:

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by wildweasel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 19:21

I'd actually forgotten about this. While the solitary screenshot you've posted certainly looks like Doom 64, it really doesn't tell me anything about the maps because I had initially mistaken it for the first level of the actual Doom 64.

Also, why not call it something other than Doom 64 II? That's a pretty confusing title, and you probably don't want to make it seem like a sequel/followup because it creates false expectations. (Much like the people that keep trying to make those countless Resident Evil themed mods for Half-Life.)

Gez
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 16:47

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Gez » Thu Oct 15, 2009 20:30

wildweasel wrote:I'd actually forgotten about this. While the solitary screenshot you've posted certainly looks like Doom 64
Yes and no. The colored lighting effects from Doom 64 (where floor, ceiling and walls each can have their own texture) is missing. And while it's possible with Boom to color a sector, it's a single color for the whole, while Doom 64 allows different colors for top, middle and bottom.

User avatar
Sniper 109
Ruining doom forums since '07
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 23:45
Location: Drivin' round in mah Honda Civic CRX Bitches

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Sniper 109 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 21:40

Strife Toons wrote:the Stone Beast, from Blood, maybe slighty modified would be a very fitting new Boss, maybe the Alien King?
I've already replied to your personal message. The monsters are 100% done.
AlysiumX wrote:Long time no see,

So hows this project going?
Quite well. Everything is done except for the remaining maps and music.
Gez wrote:
wildweasel wrote:I'd actually forgotten about this. While the solitary screenshot you've posted certainly looks like Doom 64
Yes and no. The colored lighting effects from Doom 64 (where floor, ceiling and walls each can have their own texture) is missing. And while it's possible with Boom to color a sector, it's a single color for the whole, while Doom 64 allows different colors for top, middle and bottom.
I thought about that, but I've made up for all the lost features and effects with brand new effects, fake HDR lighting, teleport to line, and various other neat tricks.
It may not feel like doom64, but it might be just as good if not better. Take the original doom and doom2 for example. Both are feel different, but both are just as fun.

User avatar
InsanityBringer
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 22:59

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by InsanityBringer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 22:38

Sniper 109 wrote: It may not feel like doom64, but it might be just as good if not better.
Exactly 2 people will agree with you on this. You just ruined what makes doom 64 doom 64.

And fake HDR? I'm sure it's been revealed AGES ago that that's just a plain volumetric lighting effect that you are likely using. I wish people would stop giving such a basic feature a name like that.

And PRBOOM's lack of a macro system will make things very different. Voodoo scripting can help but I'm not sure how much (the macro system has some interesting features)

All in all you barely deserve to call this Doom 64.
Sniper 109 wrote: This is an older project of mine one (once done) will always be remembered amongst doomers and doom64 fans.
It won't be remembered, at least in a positive light. It's not doom 64 and people who read the title "Doom 64 II" are going to expect Doom 64 quality, which you have not delivered and you are unlikely to deliver

User avatar
Sniper 109
Ruining doom forums since '07
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 23:45
Location: Drivin' round in mah Honda Civic CRX Bitches

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Sniper 109 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 23:47

InsanityBringer wrote:
Sniper 109 wrote: It may not feel like doom64, but it might be just as good if not better.
Exactly 2 people will agree with you on this. You just ruined what makes doom 64 doom 64.

And fake HDR? I'm sure it's been revealed AGES ago that that's just a plain volumetric lighting effect that you are likely using. I wish people would stop giving such a basic feature a name like that.

And PRBOOM's lack of a macro system will make things very different. Voodoo scripting can help but I'm not sure how much (the macro system has some interesting features)

All in all you barely deserve to call this Doom 64.
Sniper 109 wrote: This is an older project of mine one (once done) will always be remembered amongst doomers and doom64 fans.
It won't be remembered, at least in a positive light. It's not doom 64 and people who read the title "Doom 64 II" are going to expect Doom 64 quality, which you have not delivered and you are unlikely to deliver
You're speaking as if you've already played the released wad. Fake HDR Zdoom is nothing new. But I don't ever recall seeing fake HDR in prboom. I know this is far from extraordinary, but looks are only a fraction of what Doom64 actually was (gameplay). Most of the maps are well above decent quality. I've put many hours into this wad, I've perfected the dehacked, color palette, and I'm going over every single sprite to make sure the new colors, size are absolutely perfect. Another astonishing thing is nothing of Doom2 will remain, All the sprites, textures, sounds, graphics, music and etc have all been replaced. this will be an Iwad too, so you won't need doom2 to run it.
Bottom line my team and I have spent countless hours working on this wad. I think we've earned the right to call it whatever we want.
I guess if you only care about looks you probably won't like this just because it doesn't look like the original doom64. But looks aside, and you actually take the time to play through it, check out the other new stuff that we've added, and keep in mind that this is only a boom wad. Bottom line, this wad isn't the original doom64, its something else and if you can look past the fact that the some old features have been replaced with newer ones, then you'll probably appreciate this wad for what it really is, a Boom wad.

User avatar
wildweasel
Member, DRD Team
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 22:00
Location: the Admincave!
Contact:

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by wildweasel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:48

Sniper 109 wrote:this will be an Iwad too, so you won't need doom2 to run it.
Thus making it illegal.

Rachael
Developer
Developer
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:30

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Rachael » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:18

Sniper 109 wrote:Another astonishing thing is nothing of Doom2 will remain
Some mods are IWADs themselves and are perfectly fine if they run stand-alone, not illegal.
Spoiler: Zen Sarcasm

Gez
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 16:47

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Gez » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35

Well, it'll be about as legal as the Wolf 3D TC or the Absolution TC.

User avatar
Alter
A very lazy man with ambitions.
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55
Location: Poland, Lodz

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Alter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:52

Gez wrote:Well, it'll be about as legal as the Wolf 3D TC or the Absolution TC.
I wish zdoom/gzdoom supported custom iwads. I mean REALLY custom IWADs. Because I can't launch it without launching doom2.wad or any other IWAD Lol. Is there any way to make a custom one without asking Graf/Randy to support it? It will be stand-alone afaik, if everything works out.

WadaHolic
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:26

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by WadaHolic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:58

Good to see this is still in production. I was about to leak out my maps since I haven't seen it around on Skulltag for a while.

Gez
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 16:47

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Gez » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:42

Alter wrote:I wish zdoom/gzdoom supported custom iwads. I mean REALLY custom IWADs. Because I can't launch it without launching doom2.wad or any other IWAD Lol. Is there any way to make a custom one without asking Graf/Randy to support it? It will be stand-alone afaik, if everything works out.
Command line:

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad foobar.wad

User avatar
Alter
A very lazy man with ambitions.
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55
Location: Poland, Lodz

Re: Doom 64 II The Rising

Post by Alter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06

Gez wrote:
Alter wrote:I wish zdoom/gzdoom supported custom iwads. I mean REALLY custom IWADs. Because I can't launch it without launching doom2.wad or any other IWAD Lol. Is there any way to make a custom one without asking Graf/Randy to support it? It will be stand-alone afaik, if everything works out.
Command line:

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad foobar.wad
And here's when is the trouble Gez. Gzdoom IWAD launcher still pops up (without the xenus 3 iwad of course) and despite marking it "Do not ask again", it still launches Doom2.wad instead of -iwad x3ptt.wad.

Post Reply

Return to “Projects”