Using DONTHURTSHOOTER correctly

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

Bashe

Using DONTHURTSHOOTER correctly

Post by Bashe »

I'm having a hard time using DONTHURTSHOOTER correctly. You see, I have a friendly monster that shoots out projectiles, and the gun he uses can be used by the player. The projectiles are simply inherited from existing ones, like so:

Code: Select all

John[projectile] : [existing projectile]
{
Speed 25
Damage 50
}
When I had the player shoot the same projectiles, I did this:

PJGN B 0 A_FireCustomMissile ("John[whatever]")
I did one for the rocket, but I don't want the splash damage of it to hurt the player, so I put DONTHURTSHOOTER on the actor replacing the rocket, but it didn't work, so I tried putting it on the weapon, and it still didn't work. How am I supposed to make it so the splash damage doesn't affect the player?

Also, I don't the player fired ones to use ammo, how would I define that? I usually just type in the projectile name, would I have to type in all the other stuff to get to usenoammo?
Marty Kirra

Post by Marty Kirra »

I can't help with the first question, but for the projectile not using ammo...All you should need to do is not define an ammo type or not define the number of ammo used when firing weapon. Then again, I need to get in touch with decorate so I maybe wrong :P
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Well, I put weapon.ammouse to 1, but for every projectile fired (which is 4 at one time) it uses a shot for each one. I only want it to use ONE shot.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

You need to change the arguments for A_FireCustomMissile.

FROD B 0 A_FireCustomMissile("SmallFuelRodBall2",-2,0,10,-6)
FROD B 2 BRIGHT A_FireCustomMissile("SmallFuelRodBall",0,1,10,0)
In particular, it's the third (the first being the projectile's name, and the second being the spread offset, I think). Set that to 1 and that projectile will use ammo. Set the other projectiles so theirs are set to 0, and they won't use ammo.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

What are the default offsets? It seems I have to define every single argument in order to use one of them. I just want it to to come directly out of the center of the player.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The default offsets are 0,0. That's a straight angle, no height change, and no x-offset.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

All right, the ammo problem has been remedied, but how do I nullify the splash damage towards the player?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I can't remember if you're supposed to put DONTHURTSHOOTER on the weapon itself, the projectile, or both.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It's on the projectile.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

I put it on the projectile, but it still hurts me, so I put it on the gun and it STILL hurts me...
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Another important thing: DONTHURTSHOOTER only affects splash damage and I think it only effects A_Explodes defined in the projectiles states (I.E I don't think it affects inherited states)

Oh yeah, Using properties to define splash damage is not offically supported anymore: It'll work but it's recommended you pass parameters into A_Explode.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Well, guess I just have to play with god mode on when using that gun.

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”