Randomised skins for models?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Randomised skins for models?

Post by Enjay »

I think the answer is no but, just in case, is there a way to randomise which skin a model uses? Basically, because a model (typically) only uses one skin, it's easy to edit and create a bit of variation. For example, give the same basic actor different hair styles/ colours/ facial hair etc. So, it would be nice to be able to have the actors randomly pick from a choice of skins when a map loads to increase the visual variety of a particular actor type. The only ways I can think of doing it involve cloned/inherited actors and lots of duplicate modeldef code. Is there a simple way?
NeuralStunner

Re: Randomised skins for models?

Post by NeuralStunner »

You could use the "####" trick with the sprite names, running through a random sprite name (GUY1, GUY2, etc.) when the actor spawns but having the main states "reuse" it. (Although this would still make the ModelDef pretty long.)

There is also the problem of the 4-skin-per-definition limit. With a random selector you wouldn't be getting much variety, unless the randomizer were able to span across several definitions. (But how sane would that be?) Alternatively, one might increase the limit to 256 or something. (Would this be an issue?)
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Randomised skins for models?

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:There is also the problem of the 4-skin-per-definition limit. With a random selector you wouldn't be getting much variety, unless the randomizer were able to span across several definitions. (But how sane would that be?) Alternatively, one might increase the limit to 256 or something. (Would this be an issue?)
I was hoping that there might be a way of having MODELDEF specify "MySkin" and then have... I dunno, ANIMDEFS or something be able to randomise MySkin so that it becomes one of any number of possibles.

Of course, variations in models would also be welcome (e.g. different heads) but that seems even less likely to be easily possible with small amounts of DECORATE/MODELDEF code than I hoped a randomised skin might be.

Return to “GZDoom”