Gzdoom builder Maximum number of linedefs reached.

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

doomexpert

Gzdoom builder Maximum number of linedefs reached.

Post by doomexpert »

Hi, i build a open world map.

the problem i have is, i get an error that says: Maximum numbers of linedefs reached.
i got arround 64.600 linedefs in a map. is there a way to override that limit??? i think its arrount 65.000 linedefs.

I build with gzdoom builder 1.14 and the format im using is gzdoom hexen format.
people say that using UDMF you can use several billion linedefs.

so is there a way to transform your map to a different format without breaking the actions/tags in your map. is there a updated working tool to convert any wad into udmf format?
i have the feeling that everything i have done is build in the wrong format. so what is the best format?? UDMF?

greets

Im sick of limits. there should be no limits if you know how to build a map and make it rendable and beautiful.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Gzdoom builder Maximum number of linedefs reached.

Post by Graf Zahl »

The limit you hit is not the number of linedefs but the number of sidedefs. The binary map format can handle 65535 unique sidedefs at most, but normally that should be reached long, long before hitting 64000 linedefs. This limit comes from having only 2 bytes to reference linedefs, sidedefs and sectors in id's original map format from 1993. UDMF doesn't use binaty 2-byte fields but text, so it has no limit, although any current engine will be limited by available resources of the hardware which normally happens long before the map format's limits are hit

Regarding conversion to UDMF, more recent dev builds of GZDoom Builder should be able to do it without loss of information.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Regarding conversion to UDMF, more recent dev builds of GZDoom Builder should be able to do it without loss of information.
OK thank you, helped me alot. MY wad file increased in size 16 MB more because of its format lol.
I hope it doesnt give errors.. regardless switching formats.

btw if i select 2.000 sector, and i go in sector mode, and press E for selecting all sectors then i have the option to turn all sectors right, but if i crop the sectors then the problem is the vertex points doesn't snap to the grid but i think i can leave it there, it wouldn't be a big problem...

So it would be nice to have an option in gzdoom builder to select all of the vertex points and snap them to the nearest grid.

greets.
Last edited by doomexpert on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:25, edited 1 time in total.
MaxED
Developer
Developer

Post by MaxED »

doomexpert wrote:im wondering why the newest svn gzdoom builds doesnt save 2 backups wad files.
Huh?
doomexpert wrote:So it would be nice to have an option in gzdoom builder to select all of the vertex points and snap them to the nearest grid.
Select some sectors, then switch to Vertices mode (or just select some vertices). Use Edit -> Snap Selection to Grid.

Return to “GZDoom”